General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
JimW

Re: 6.2 Entry Fees

Post by JimW » Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:24 pm

Dee wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:50 pm
GreenPeter wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:25 pm
So does fewer events mean each event gets more entries?
I don't think so. At lower divisions particularly 3/4 paddlers want "local" competitions. At Div 2 they will travel further but even then other things come into play.

But - others disagree with me. It's hard to prove either way.
Most div 3 and 4 paddlers do seem to stay local, the exception being siblings who end up entering a div 3 or 4 alongside a higher division race (like Llandysul, or Aberfeldy when it is same weekend as Tully div 1) because they happen to be there with the family.

What I have been seeing at div 2, is that paddlers in the Midlands will make long journeys North and South to races so if 2 popular races are on the same weekend, even if they are at opposite ends of the country and mainly attracting local regional paddlers, they will lose some of the extra paddlers who would have travelled from the Midlands. If a big club like Staffs & Stone decide to go to one of the races en-masse (perhaps some of the coaches are going, so all the paddlers follow, but equally likely they all go to the same race because they are mates) it can make a significant impact to the other race.

I don't know how many organisers have ever felt they need to consider this sort of stuff, but believe me, when your race has been critical for breaking even a couple of times you do start to look at the calendar and past results and try to work these things out!

lesf

Post by lesf » Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:46 am

I don't know how many organisers have ever felt they need to consider this sort of stuff,
Yep, been taking the impact of potential clashes with other Div2 events into account for years.
Also throw in the impact on numbers that being the 5th, 6th or 7th weekend on the trot for paddler/parents has when parents decide they need a weekend at home.

paddlerparent

Post by paddlerparent » Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:44 pm

Well said Les!!!

We need a like button :D

JimW

Post by JimW » Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:32 pm

Not exactly in line with the proposal/thread, but we seem to have a problem attracting numbers to the Canadian classes, currently we have C2's paying half the normal entry fee, but I reckon if we had more C1's we would naturally get more C2s, so why not base the entry fee on the number of paddle blades, so C1's get half price entry and K1 and C2 get full price, but the C2 get to split it between them so each pay the same as they would in C1.
Only need to do this for as long as it takes to even up the numbers between kayak and canadian...

Dee

Post by Dee » Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:53 pm

There have always (or for as long as I can remember) been more kayaks than canadians. In fact, I'd say that there are proportionately more canadians now than there has ever been.

C2 is no longer an olympic event so less paddlers likely to take it seriously; it's generally seen as a bit of fun/let's have a go event. I can't honestly say that I think having more C1s will have any impact whatsoever on C2s.
Kit Washer, Entry Clerk, Chauffeur, Reluctant Organiser, Online Entry Advocate .....
Anything I post under this user is my personal opinion; I am not posting as a member of the Slalom Committee!

JimW

Post by JimW » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:35 pm

I wasn't at the ACM but have already received chasers to finalise my calendar entry, so can someone tell me which way this went so I can decide whether we need to charge an enhanced entry fee?

PeterC

Post by PeterC » Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:14 pm

Hi Jim

Div 4 - £6
Div 3 - £8
Div 2 - £10
Div 1 - £18
Prem - £18

Was agreed at ACM as fees for 2020 season with a further review at ACM next year for 2021.

Hope this helps

Peter

JimW

Post by JimW » Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:23 pm

Thanks Peter, What about levies, are the percentages staying the same or is the amount staying the same (+inflation)?

Jim

PeterC

Post by PeterC » Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:36 pm

Hi Jim

We have broken the percentage link and the levies will only increase by inflation (1.7 percent this year) and thus the percentages have fallen.

Peter

JimW

Post by JimW » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:25 pm

Thanks again Peter.
Jim

Dee

Post by Dee » Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:08 pm

JimW wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:35 pm
I wasn't at the ACM but have already received chasers to finalise my calendar entry, so can someone tell me which way this went so I can decide whether we need to charge an enhanced entry fee?
Apologies for the double chase. I accidentally managed to send all the emails twice. Oops!
Kit Washer, Entry Clerk, Chauffeur, Reluctant Organiser, Online Entry Advocate .....
Anything I post under this user is my personal opinion; I am not posting as a member of the Slalom Committee!