Stripe Account Updates for CanoeSlalomEntries

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
Dee

Stripe Account Updates for CanoeSlalomEntries

Post by Dee » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:35 pm

As many of you will be aware we have recently had to do a lot of upgrades to support Strong Customer Authentication - which means that some of you may now find you get one of those six digit codes texted to you phone when paying for your entries.

Following on from this Stripe have notified us that to continue taking payments and (more importantly) paying the money out to the clubs, they need additional Identification documents from the club treasurer (as club representative). (They used to accept name, dob, address and one form of ID, but now need a recent utility bill as proof of address to).

All original club treasurers/representatives have been contacted by me by email. And some have already actioned the requirements - Thank you.

Inevitably over the last few years some club officials have changed. If you are club treasurer and haven't heard from me then please get in touch asap.
Kit Washer, Entry Clerk, Chauffeur, Reluctant Organiser, Online Entry Advocate .....
Anything I post under this user is my personal opinion; I am not posting as a member of the Slalom Committee!

Dee

Why?

Post by Dee » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:15 pm

The data provided through the treasurer's page is not held in the canoeslalomentries database (except for name and email), but is sent directly to Stripe who then verify your ID - usually within minutes.

Stripe are the body that handle all of our payment processing. They are regulated by the FCA and have to comply with "Know Your Customer" regulations and have made the decision that to continue to do this they need a second ID with proof of address. If the additional information is not provided we will not be able to take payments or payout to the clubs. We're not trying to be difficult, I promise, we're just trying to ensure that we can continue to provide the system!

To quote Stripe's website:
As a provider of payment services, Stripe is required to comply with many regulations including anti-terrorism and anti-money laundering laws. Some of these regulations and laws require Stripe to retain transaction records for a prescribed period of time. Read more about our data retention process in our Privacy Policy.
As club treasurer you are probably a signatory on your club's bank account and almost certainly had to provide similar proof of id when becoming a signatory. (unless you happen to have a personal bank account with the same bank). It is basically the same thing as Stripe, who hold the payments in a club account prior to them being paid out after the race.
Kit Washer, Entry Clerk, Chauffeur, Reluctant Organiser, Online Entry Advocate .....
Anything I post under this user is my personal opinion; I am not posting as a member of the Slalom Committee!

Dee

How Safe is your Data?

Post by Dee » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:17 pm

Let's be honest no-one anywhere can give you a cast iron guarantee that your data won't be involved in a data breach - you've only got to listen to the news to realise that! You can of course read Stripe's privacy policy (I accept that it is quite long as it covers a lot of nationalities and scenarios). You can also google stripe and gdpr and read the reams that come back. A couple of quotes from Stripe's web sites.
We make reasonable efforts to ensure a level of security appropriate to the risk associated with the processing of Personal Data. We maintain organizational, technical and administrative measures designed to protect Personal Data within our organization against unauthorized access, destruction, loss, alteration or misuse. Your Personal Data is only accessible to a limited number of personnel who need access to the information to perform their duties.
Under the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), residents of the EU may exercise certain rights regarding their personal data. If you would like to make a data subject access request, please contact dpo@stripe.com.

Dee

Why Me?

Post by Dee » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:20 pm

We decided on club treasurer's as representative because it's financial, but we will also accept another club official such as chairman. It does need to be a club official though as you are representing the club.

So, if you club treasurer won't provide the required data and your chairman will then let me know, but please don't ask me to do the running around!

Dee

Finally ...

Post by Dee » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:24 pm

Hopefully the above answers the queries I've received.

The only other things I can say is that
1) I have given them my data!
2) I think I'd rather trust Stripe than my high street bank many of whom have over-layed their modern internet access on to elderly legacy systems which are quite possibly riddled with holes (or, before anyone sues me, may of course be super-secure :) )