Start countdown clock

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
djberriman

Start countdown clock

Post by djberriman » Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:53 am

I've developed an Arduino based start count down clock which I'm just finishing off and interested in comments/input/suggestions

Specification (so far).

6.5" 2 digit super bright LED display
Piezo beeper
requires 12v supply (external battery or mains adapter)
Single button operation (on a 15m cable, could be longer)
Pause/restart countdown with single press of button
Short hold of button to reset to 30 seconds or start interval.
Long hold to select 30,35,40,45,50,55,60 start interval (can add more if required)
Last 5 second beep countdown with long beep at zero

The whole thing can be controlled by the start person with the minimum of fuss. No need for shouting or a prestart to indicate when to go.

Potentially I may make a slave unit for prestart so that the next paddler knows when to feed down to the start eddy where it is out of sight such as at Washburn.

Mike Mitchell

Re: Start countdown clock

Post by Mike Mitchell » Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:53 pm

Brillant idea :D
Can a book it for Symonds Yat at end of April.

IanL

Post by IanL » Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:09 pm

Looks great for paddlers and starter, I particularly like the pause option - needed for these nuisance paddlers like Mallory who are too quick for their ranking. 30sec needed for practice runs, occasionally use 50sec to catch up time but we also use 90sec intervals for C1W. At HPP the starter cannot see the countdown clock display so a slave or smaller display on the back is needed to see what is going on.

djberriman

Post by djberriman » Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:38 am

Thanks for the feedback and positive ideas.

Start interval can be from 15-90 seconds (I can easily program different settings).

Great minds think alike, I've added a smaller display on the back so the starter can hopefully see what is happening to the main display.

When on pause the time on both displays flash to indicate that is is paused.

Just need to build a case. Providing the battery is charged it should last a full weekend.

CeeBee

Post by CeeBee » Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:30 pm

great idea. Can you make several please and how much silver needs to cross your palm for us to get one?

JoS

Post by JoS » Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:11 am

That's a great thing to do, now I won't have the starter accidentally yelling into the headset at Washburn! And they will have less of a sore throat. Thanks!

JimW

Post by JimW » Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:05 pm

JoS wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:11 am
That's a great thing to do, now I won't have the starter accidentally yelling into the headset at Washburn! And they will have less of a sore throat. Thanks!
I think you are still going to have the starter shouting at Washburn, it is difficult for anyone but especially C1s to sit in the start eddy facing the starter so most will still need to be shouted at...

Would the start countdown clock need to be synchronised with Tutti and backup clocks or can it be completely independant since the starter might need to adjust intervals on the fly?

djberriman

Post by djberriman » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:22 am

RE: Washburn

That is the whole point they don't have to face the starter, the clock can be placed anywhere, and as it beeps those who want to face the' wrong way' can do so and just use the tones if they wish.

At Washburn I would expect it would be at the top of the eddy, those who wish to start facing the other way, can simply turn round at say 15 seconds and then listen for the last 4 short beeps and the final long beep to go. Alternatively you could place it mid way down the eddy so it works for both.

At really really worst case I could make a slave display so there is one for either end of eddy but we will see how it goes first.

Does not need to be synchronised with anything, you can pause it and change intervals on the fly using the remote button sat in the 'comfort' of your chair.

Dee

Post by Dee » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:50 am

Would be useful at Lee Valley at bottom of travelator. Any chance of getting to us to borrow/ test out for div 1 please?
Kit Washer, Entry Clerk, Chauffeur, Reluctant Organiser, Online Entry Advocate .....
Anything I post under this user is my personal opinion; I am not posting as a member of the Slalom Committee!

JimW

Post by JimW » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:52 pm

I'd missed the 15m cable, was thinking the starter would have to be next to it to reset... Perfect then!