Isn't it strange?

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
Dee

Isn't it strange?

Post by Dee » Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:49 pm

Nowadays I only attend a few slaloms during the year, but in spite of that I usually get quite a few slalom emails through the season and feel quite close to a lot of the races because of my involvement with the tech end. I'm really missing the season :(

This was brought home to me by an email I had today ...

To understand why the email felt significant you first have to know that canoeslalomentries has some automatic monitoring in place which will pick up on glitches - some of these will just be down to poor internet connection but others might send me off trying to put a fix in and still others baffle me. Each week I get an email that gives me a summary of number of glitches.

Today my email tells me that there has not been a single glitch all week. This would normally be cause for celebration, but I know its because no-one has any need to use the system because there is no racing.

I find myself looking forward to once again receiving emails about glitches/bugs/things that don't work. What a strange thing to miss!

What strange things do others miss?
Kit Washer, Entry Clerk, Chauffeur, Reluctant Organiser, Online Entry Advocate .....
Anything I post under this user is my personal opinion; I am not posting as a member of the Slalom Committee!

Mike Mitchell

Re: Isn't it strange?

Post by Mike Mitchell » Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:47 pm

Dee
It is nice to read a post on hear.
I am missing the chatter.

Can't someone think about something we could debate. :D :lol:

Dee

Post by Dee » Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:55 pm

Vets points? :D :twisted: :lol:
Kit Washer, Entry Clerk, Chauffeur, Reluctant Organiser, Online Entry Advocate .....
Anything I post under this user is my personal opinion; I am not posting as a member of the Slalom Committee!

Dee

Post by Dee » Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:59 pm

Or, slightly less facetiously how we get the season moving when this is all over and what we do about getting div 4s in, bearing in mind clubs are not running beginners sessions right now.

CeeBee

Post by CeeBee » Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:36 pm

Hi Dee

Obviously no one knows when canoeing can resume and when races can resume.

It may be that there are no races run at all in 2020 in which case we just wait until 2021 to restart. (I haven't considered what will happen if this runs into 2021 as can't think that far ahead yet).

Whenever we resume paddling, there are likely to be some serious consequences on the sport as we will have lost a years new intake and also lost those paddlers who do not restart.

Personally, I think this is a big risk and the sport needs the help of the many voluntary clubs to run sessions to get people to start or back into paddling. (To me, this would be significantly helped with funding from government bodies and the national Sports bodies such as SportScotland and SportEngland). I have no idea what funding there is within the governing body of from grant awards, but the performance fund must be saving considerable sums by not having £3000 Water fees at Lee Valley per week and no international races to fund. Could a pitch be made by our governing bodies to reallocate some of this to the sport as a whole to invest and safeguard it's future?

If racing could resume earlier in some shape or form, it may be that local races with local competitors could run so a club or a few clubs combined could hold their own race series much like the Winter Slaloms but in the late autumn on different courses. But it obviously all depends on what restrictions are in place.

If racing was allowed to start with no restrictions from say 1 September (just an arbitrary date and unlikely to have no restrictions), there would be 2 months of racing left and so one option could be to allow clubs to run Division 2/3/4 races midweek in the evening so that Prem/Div1/Div 2 races could run at the weekends. The country could be split into regions (like polo competitions) and races run regionally rather than nationally. However, this is all ifs, buts and maybes. We are all used to the existing way of racing and need to consider other options that could be applied depending on the restrictions in place at the time to let the paddlers paddle.

JoS

Post by JoS » Tue May 05, 2020 10:59 am

I wonder what will happen about points and demotions if we do get half a season this year? Does everybody get short season exemption because, well, it is? Or change the points thresholds?

And will everybody swim a lot, especially at the higher divisions? Would Tees Barrage be just a succession of swims all day long? Just give everybody down the side a buoyancy aid and throw line to pull people out? :P

Dee

Post by Dee » Tue May 05, 2020 1:51 pm

JoS wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 10:59 am
I wonder what will happen about points and demotions if we do get half a season this year? Does everybody get short season exemption because, well, it is? Or change the points thresholds?

And will everybody swim a lot, especially at the higher divisions? Would Tees Barrage be just a succession of swims all day long? Just give everybody down the side a buoyancy aid and throw line to pull people out? :P
No decision has been taken regarding points and rankings for 2021. If you look at the minutes from the April committee meeting:
promotions that occur during the season will stand
It was noted that rankings for 2021 need to be considered – whether or not it remains as per
2020. A decision will be made later in the year
So too soon yet to say what will happen regarding rankings next year, but whatever is decided will be taking into account the length of the season, such as it is.

Swimming might be the least of our worries - I could envisage a succession of dislocated shoulders!!! :shock:

Dee

Post by Dee » Tue May 05, 2020 1:56 pm

CeeBee wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:36 pm
Hi Dee

Obviously no one knows when canoeing can resume and when races can resume.

It may be that there are no races run at all in 2020 in which case we just wait until 2021 to restart. (I haven't considered what will happen if this runs into 2021 as can't think that far ahead yet).

Whenever we resume paddling, there are likely to be some serious consequences on the sport as we will have lost a years new intake and also lost those paddlers who do not restart.

Personally, I think this is a big risk and the sport needs the help of the many voluntary clubs to run sessions to get people to start or back into paddling. (To me, this would be significantly helped with funding from government bodies and the national Sports bodies such as SportScotland and SportEngland). I have no idea what funding there is within the governing body of from grant awards, but the performance fund must be saving considerable sums by not having £3000 Water fees at Lee Valley per week and no international races to fund. Could a pitch be made by our governing bodies to reallocate some of this to the sport as a whole to invest and safeguard it's future?

If racing could resume earlier in some shape or form, it may be that local races with local competitors could run so a club or a few clubs combined could hold their own race series much like the Winter Slaloms but in the late autumn on different courses. But it obviously all depends on what restrictions are in place.

If racing was allowed to start with no restrictions from say 1 September (just an arbitrary date and unlikely to have no restrictions), there would be 2 months of racing left and so one option could be to allow clubs to run Division 2/3/4 races midweek in the evening so that Prem/Div1/Div 2 races could run at the weekends. The country could be split into regions (like polo competitions) and races run regionally rather than nationally. However, this is all ifs, buts and maybes. We are all used to the existing way of racing and need to consider other options that could be applied depending on the restrictions in place at the time to let the paddlers paddle.
I know 1st September was an arbitrary date, but it seems very optimistic :cry: :cry:

Assuming the government keep travel to a minimum for the rest of this year as we wait for a vaccine then higher division races may not be allowed. I could also see the government going with no gatherings of more than x people which could effectively prevent the higher divisions - it's not just the number of competitors but also parents/coaches/supporters and judges etc.

I would like to think that we could get some div 4s running towards the end of the season and maybe some local non-ranking races for paddlers to get back in boats, but whether that will happen is anyone's guess. It would be nice to think we could resume the calendar in its entirety but it's not exactly looking promising.

I just hope that by next season we can be back all guns blazing, but after a year (or nearly) out of the sport we are bound to lose some and many will have lost fitness and strength.

humphr

Post by humphr » Mon May 18, 2020 11:26 am

Even stranger now they are back on the water but no races
Another parent