British Open/ HPPCC/SS open

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
paddlerparent

Re: British Open/ HPPCC/SS open

Post by paddlerparent » Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:28 am

I would imagine that there are a number of risks & that those should all be assessed, it may be that the majority of these can be mitigated & then it would be much clearer as to what needs to happen to enable racing

for example Judging in its current form may be a risk that cannot be taken due to headsets, but with changes it may be acceptable.

So going though Marks list it may be that we can be ready for 2021 ahead of time & then once each risk is mitigated or removed then racing could commence.

Seems barmy that local non-professional & semi professional football teams can make this work but we cant

BaldockBabe

Post by BaldockBabe » Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:44 pm

Interestingly I was windsurfing at a lake over the weekend and managed to avoid being crushed by what seemed like 1000000 sailing boats racing around a course on the same lake! The interesting bit for me (other than being able to avoid them which was a personal success :D ) was that they were back to holding competitions with a very large number of competitors. (My local sailing club is also running competitions but at a lower level as our lake is teeny). As there were in excess of 30 (England so English rules apply) boats on the water (many of them with more than one crew) I looked up the RYA guidance on running competitions (https://www.rya.org.uk/SiteCollectionDo ... eholds.pdf). To me it seems very common sense and easy to follow. I note that there was one toilet available for each sex (we shared the same facilities) but sanitiser was available at each door and at various points around the venue and there was no access to changing rooms (that is what a Dryrobe is for!). Control was outside (but that is usual in a sailing race) but there was access to the inside bar afterwards!

I am also entered into a Trail Running race (and know of road running races that have already taken place) again with over 30 competitors (which I am very much looking forward to). These races are presumably taking place as they have designated themselves a Covid-secure venue (England Athletics advice https://d192th1lqal2xm.cloudfront.net/2 ... .pdf_0.pdf). Again this seems to be common sense and easy to follow.

British canoeing advice (https://www.britishcanoeing.org.uk/news ... -providers) seems to follow the same gist.

Thus, I cannot see that there is any problem with clubs etc running events in England (I do not know the rules for the rest of the UK) provided that they comply with the obligations to be a "Covid-secure" environment (if more than 30 participants or more than 6 households). From reading all the advice it is not for the club themselves to police whether or not the individual should be isolating etc, only to ensure they have pre-activity health questionnaires from the participants (I had to fill one in for the Windsurfing and that was a course of 4 people plus an instructor - it was done online and was not unnecessarily intrusive) and tracking details are kept. Risk assessment forms will need to be updated. Judging could be done relatively easily depending on the venue (Proteus winter slalom style - 1 judge running with each competitor (no headsets) or judges working longer shifts with a change of headset between judges or same judges all day). Timing only requires a couple of individuals positioned 2m apart so again, not overly excessive.

Where there is a will, there is a way!!!

P.S. Probably best tried at venues with no hire costs to start with as hopefully there is less risk of financial loss if a local lockdown occurs???

Dee

Post by Dee » Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:26 pm

Would be great, and I believe possible, to see some smaller localised competitions starting up soon. I believe that some clubs are starting to think about what they might be able to achieve.
Kit Washer, Entry Clerk, Chauffeur, Reluctant Organiser, Online Entry Advocate .....
Anything I post under this user is my personal opinion; I am not posting as a member of the Slalom Committee!

paddlerparent

Post by paddlerparent » Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:16 pm

I'd suggest we go with the Open at HPP & work on the risk assessments.

If we have local lock down & the centre wont refund we need to be clear on this & advise no refunds - risk & reward and all that

Only question - Must BC support be given for this event to happen?

JimW

Post by JimW » Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:13 pm

paddlerparent wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:16 pm
Only question - Must BC support be given for this event to happen?
Good question, the British Open is the only race normally run by BC slalom committee instead of by a club. I don't know if that is set in stone.

At present it can't be a full British event, Scottish paddlers are not allowed to travel to different venues to race, I have no idea where Welsh and Northern Irish paddlers stand but I think all the home nations have different rules.

Things like disinfecting headsets and separating judges and clerks are probably the easy bit, as I understand it from Peter's posts even England still has limits on numbers at events.

JimW

Post by JimW » Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:30 pm

JimW wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:13 pm
Scottish paddlers are not allowed to travel to different venues to race,
I missed Friday's update, we are now allowed to have competitions for up to 30 people in Scotland. Detail is sparse but I assume that includes organisers/timekeepers/judges.