John Sturgess

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
Canadian Paddler

John Sturgess

Post by Canadian Paddler » Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:53 pm

:(
Just seen on facebook from Dave Rawding
Unfortunately this fine gentleman passed away yesterday. Having known John Sturgess (73 yrs) for the entire 45 years I have been involved in Slalom he will be missed. He dedicated his entire adult life to sport and in particular helping young people perform to their very best. Many will not have known that earlier in his life he had been qualified to coach; rowing, sailing, rugby union, skiing and weight lifting and had done so in many parts of the world. He will be sorely missed in our sport. His slow bank side meanderings, following his paddlers were legendary, usually because he had to ‘bluff’ his debrief as he had actually missed their runs by chatting to someone nearby. This photo is from La Plange in January 2020, he loved this resort and skiing. Whilst he might have been slow and steady on the bank side his turn of speed on a red run really disguised his age. Unfortunately his enthusiasm on the piste wasn’t matched for ‘apres ski’ when the prices were far to steep for his acquired ‘Yorkshireman’ attitude to value. John RIP
Will be sadly missed
All spelling errors are intentional and are there to show new and improved ways of spelling old words. Grammatical errors are due to too many English classes/teachers.
Old. Fat. Slow. Bad tempered. And those are my good points

Dee

Re: John Sturgess

Post by Dee » Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:25 pm

I am so sorry to hear this.

The last time I saw him was at the LV Div 1, but I was only thinking of him yesterday (a comment at the Slalom Committee meeting brought him to mind). When I saw his name appear here, I thought at first that the thread had been created by him to explain some of his ideas for the future of slalom. He will definitely be missed!

RIP John and Thanks for your contributions
Kit Washer, Entry Clerk, Chauffeur, Reluctant Organiser, Online Entry Advocate .....
Anything I post under this user is my personal opinion; I am not posting as a member of the Slalom Committee!

James Hastings

Post by James Hastings » Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:46 pm

Sad news indeed. We've had many conversations bankside in recent years on the subject of lower division participation and John had no compunction about ticking me off, in the most constructive of ways, for my poor performances in div 2! His presence will be missed at slaloms, especially by those youngsters he took under his wing.

My condolences to John's friends and family.

James

SteveM
Site Admin

Post by SteveM » Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:14 am

Very sad news. I first met John during my earliest days in the sport, far too long ago to put a date to. He’s part of the bedrock of UK slalom and will be long remembered.

My condolences to John's friends and family.