6.11.2 Ability to hold four races in one weekend, two on each day

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
Secretary Man

6.11.2 Ability to hold four races in one weekend, two on each day

Post by Secretary Man » Tue Nov 01, 2022 5:40 pm

Proposed by Pinkston Panthers Club Seconded by CR Cats Canoe Club
To be withdrawn if the previous motion fails
Ability to hold two races each day over a weekend. a "double double". Same benefits as previous motion, i.e. savings on travel and accommodation when divided by races entered but also hopefully encourage people from farther afield to travel as it would be much more worth their travel time and cost.
One objection has been people being promoted based on results only from one venue. This is exactly what happens for British team selection and so should not be seen as a major issue for lower divisions. It is more important to maximise racing opportunities in lower divisions and help make running events more financially viable for clubs.
5.2.5.c A weekend may consist of two Double day races on subsequent days. In this case, each course must
Hon Secretary to the British Canoeing Slalom Committee
( a different Id is used for personal rants and raves)

Mike Mitchell

Re: 6.11.2 Ability to hold four races in one weekend, two on each day

Post by Mike Mitchell » Sun Nov 13, 2022 9:05 pm

If this is approved then it will be possible to race on home water 4 times in One weekend. Three 1st positions and promoted to the next division without mastering other courses. So you don't need to travel but all the competition douse.
This can not be compared to racing over 3 Day at GB Selection as the Slalom commits are not involved with that decision and selection qualified paddlers train for the event at Lee Valley. Thats the international committee decision.
In 2022 we have seen and witnessed courses with very little change from Day to Day, so 4 different courses over a weekend could be a challenge to set for the overworked organisers.

JimW

Post by JimW » Sat Nov 19, 2022 3:33 pm

Home water .... technically possible ... blah blah
My home water results this year were terrible, in fact many paddlers didn't place right on top with home water advantage, only close. Talent will rise to the top.
All sorts of anomolous things happen as it is, the chances of paddle up results contributing to onward promotion within weeks of a promotion are pretty slim, but it has happened - I don't think we need to be worrying overly about rare cases which are most likely going to be a result of an exceptional paddler coming through the system.

But even if this motion is passed, I don't think we will see many organisers prepared to take it on - I certainly won't, and whether they remember or not I have told my committee as much.

Dee

Post by Dee » Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:14 pm

I hate the whole idea.
  • It will reduce time available for practice which will remove some of the social and fun nature of lower divisions
  • If one club does it there is a danger that other clubs may be “forced” to - competitors will go where most opportunities for points are available
  • I believe it could encourage low entry limits to be set to allow for the double to be run
  • bearing in mind each paddler must have a minimum of 1hr between each run then it must be at least 5hrs between the start of the first practice run. In reality it would need to be more to allow volunteers a break and for course to be reset. I think there could be a temptation to cut rest time (particularly between practice and first run) to make it work.
  • finally, but no means least, None of our software systems are set up to cope with this so could turn out to be a lot of work (yup! I appreciate this is self interest!)
Kit Washer, Entry Clerk, Chauffeur, Reluctant Organiser, Online Entry Advocate .....
Anything I post under this user is my personal opinion; I am not posting as a member of the Slalom Committee!