the olympics

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
Ray

Post by Ray » Wed Aug 18, 2004 11:21 am

I'd attempt it quite happily - being paid to go would be a good deal!!!

Rich

Post by Rich » Wed Aug 18, 2004 11:23 am

that would be quite a nice job :D

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Wed Aug 18, 2004 11:34 am

I am running a competition, how many times will Campbell be described as 'English' on Thursday and Friday :laugh:

Then when (think +ve) he wins the Gold, how many papers will remember to call him British or describe him as a Scot?

ps 'expert comentators' yee of short memories - remember Kidda, and others, different styles and all got hammered for their comments. If we discourage/disparage our experts who can the Beeb or Sky turn to
All spelling errors are intentional and are there to show new and improved ways of spelling old words. Grammatical errors are due to too many English classes/teachers.
Old. Fat. Slow. Bad tempered. And those are my good points

SarahC

Post by SarahC » Wed Aug 18, 2004 12:00 pm

YAY well done helen! very frustrating watching it though (especially on the bbc, who cares about judo and swimming when the prospect of a gold medal is hanging over us???) I have to strongly agree ray's first comment about the commentating beacuse at the time that was exactly what i was thinking!!!
xXx Sarah xXx

SarahC

Post by SarahC » Wed Aug 18, 2004 12:04 pm

oh and did anyone else spot a flash of jackie in the bottom right hand corner of the tv screen during the award ceremony??? i did!
xXx Sarah xXx

Pingu

Post by Pingu » Wed Aug 18, 2004 12:59 pm

Superb pictures and a great result for GB and Helen.

The facilities look great - even a swimming pool to wash your boat afterwards. The conveyor belt return to the top of the course looked a bit slow though.

I agree with Steve's comments about the BBC commentator though. He was irritating but I suppose we are a minority sport and the commentator has to cover several events. We'd probably all struggle with the finer points of judo or synchronised swimming!

Good luck to Nick, Stu and Campbell tomorrow.
Out of Darkness cometh Light

Richard Hodge

Post by Richard Hodge » Wed Aug 18, 2004 1:36 pm

Well done Helen, to get to race at the Olympics is something of an achievement, but to get a medal is fantastic.

Congratulations, on behalf of everyone at Shepperton.

Nick Kelly

Post by Nick Kelly » Wed Aug 18, 2004 1:45 pm

Congratulatoins HELEN !!

Thank god for protest time !!!
Well done from all the Irish Paddlers.
Best luck for the boys tomorrow.

Nick :D

Retired C1

Post by Retired C1 » Wed Aug 18, 2004 3:17 pm

ok so who thought that Martikan didnt hot the pole?

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Wed Aug 18, 2004 4:26 pm

The jury even changed which pole it was that he hit! Peter Horster recorded

PENALTY CHANGE
Previous Communication about BIB number 5, 2 second penalty should have read gate 7

Athlete number 5 had a 2 second penalty at gate number 7, that was not communicated by the section judge to the data entry operator. Due to this human error, the penalty was not registered in the computer system on time. Decision to insert 2 seconds penalty for athlete number 5 on final run for unofficial results.

I will look at the video tonight before I comment further
All spelling errors are intentional and are there to show new and improved ways of spelling old words. Grammatical errors are due to too many English classes/teachers.

Ray

Post by Ray » Wed Aug 18, 2004 6:14 pm

Just caught the bottom of the left pole on entry.

Clem

Post by Clem » Wed Aug 18, 2004 7:36 pm

Yay, ab fab result! Congrats to Helen on a magnificent effort!
Once upon a time, in a C2..........

kev

Post by kev » Wed Aug 18, 2004 10:43 pm

Don't get wound up by the commentary - it has always been the case and it is just funny. To say other sports get better commentary is an ignorant comment - do you understand enough about sychronised diving, archery etc. to know if they are telling the truth. As an ex British Team paddler I went through a stage of feeling the same frustration but we will only get more publicity when we start picking up Golds. Why wasn't this sport in the Olympics in the glory days of Richard Fox & Liz Sharman. Look what Redgrave has done for rowing - we need a superstar who wins consistently to see a difference. We are still right up there but not emphatically World leaders anymore

Jimi3000

Post by Jimi3000 » Thu Aug 19, 2004 9:01 am

i reckon they should get a proper guy to do the comentating. i mean the poor guy obviouly doesn't know what is happening.

I reckon Ettiene should of comentated, that would be awesome...

Is it on today? the bbc dont have anything on yet.

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Thu Aug 19, 2004 9:09 am

Its on interactive again now.

Well done to Nick and Stu for 2nd in 1st runs, keep it up!