Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Mon Nov 15, 2004 8:55 am

6.6 Add (Rule 34.1)
"Single Run Race"
Time of single run in seconds + penalties = result

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Mon Nov 15, 2004 8:56 am

WHY? ???
I think it is linked to selection but how many have seen the proposals?

Anyone able to explain for the general club membership so that we get usefull voting instructions?
All spelling errors are intentional and are there to show new and improved ways of spelling old words. Grammatical errors are due to too many English classes/teachers.
Old. Fat. Slow. Bad tempered. And those are my good points

eastern slalom rep

Post by eastern slalom rep » Tue Nov 16, 2004 2:15 pm

as the paddler representative, i feel that as no one has explained this one properly, thenmaybe i should do it. colin was right, it does have to do with the proposed method of doing selection next year. i will explain this and then maybe you will understand. i must stress this is my interpretation of what is going on and also is based on proposals for selection, not actual policies (as yet).

next year senior selection will be run in two stages. first round will be around early june to select a world cup team. if you do well in the world cups then you will secure a place directly to the worlds in oz. if you don't and there are places left on the team then a second round of races will be done nearer the worlds to fill the places.

i think this is being done like this to ensure 'full bore' racing at the world cups. hence they are trying to select people who can get to world cup race finals. this means basically one run blasts ie the semi final run is the key.

so (i'm getting there) they want to run selection to get a team that can lay it down on a one run basis. the rule change is to allow two 'one run races' to be held on the same day at selection. this would hopefully select people who can race hard on a one run basis.

maybe that helps.

etienne

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Wed Nov 17, 2004 9:08 am

Just to make it clear, this proposal could ONLY affect Selection/prem events, and I believe is only planned fro selection.

Us lower division paddlers will still have the chance to prove how unfit we are by drifting down the river twice.
All spelling errors are intentional and are there to show new and improved ways of spelling old words. Grammatical errors are due to too many English classes/teachers.

g_c1

Post by g_c1 » Thu Nov 18, 2004 2:02 pm

To be honest i dont like this motion

the reason being is that when you train you train to go as fast as possible anyway. you dont just say, well i will have a bad 1st run and go for it on my 2nd. people in the final of world cups have gone from 10th to 1st (Horschorners) and others from 10th to medals.

Canoe Slalom is a 2 run sport and should be selected accordinglly.

Also i thought the point of having selection over like 2 weekends was so that if someone was ill or didnt perform well one day they still had an event a day or week later in hand.

This is why 3 consecutive day selection races were abandoned i believe? (it looks to me as though the 2nd selection is on 1 weekend with 3 races in 2 days)

maybe im wrong?

G

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Sun Nov 21, 2004 4:28 pm

Just been sent some explanations for motions, heres the one for this:

The rationale is to provide the possibilities to take race results from a single run. This will provide options to replicate the race formats at International events, by allowing race results to be taken on a single run (ie semi final). It is envisaged that this will be incorporated into the 2005 selection process.

Proposed
Richard Lee, Bala CC

Seconded
Ian Raspin, Holme Pierrepoint CC

canoebabe88

Post by canoebabe88 » Thu Nov 25, 2004 11:31 am

well this is going to be hard for me as my first run always gose wrong

Dave Tonks

Post by Dave Tonks » Thu Nov 25, 2004 3:14 pm

One Run Selection.

I write as someone who cares for the future of our sport.

I am dismayed & disappointed to find that not only has a motion been put forward, but that it has also been accepted as a motion regarding “one run selection races” to held for the GB Teams.

During the last four years, the powers that be have given reason & argument as to why selection should be run to ICF rules & that we should adopt the ICF formats as our “standard race formats”. This we have done, despite long standing & deep rooted feelings regarding selection of all GB Teams.

Now I find that a motion has been put forward, which is a complete “U turn” from the previous stance taken by the various Committees & Advisory Groups. I ask myself why the “U turn”? Has the elected committees & the advisory groups as established by the sport, been given these proposals for the obligatory 6 weeks consultation period prior to the AGM?

I then read about reasons for the one race selection proposal & the race strategy of our senior team members. I take it that we now aim to only qualify, where has the desire to win gone? Why do other nations approach their races differently? Why are we focusing on the “one run blast” approach? Why are we not focusing on the “goal”? When I say we, I mean GB Teams, not individuals. The “one run blast” approach is more akin to an individual goal rather than a Nations goal. As a Nation we should be competing to win, our race strategy, selection, training, preparation & organisation should be established to enable us, as a Nation to win. The current proposals, I believe are put forward to suit individual athletes goals, Not GB as a Nation.

Also, we currently have adopted the ICF rules with GB modifications. The current rules do not allow for one run races, therefore we cannot accept selection policy on rules that don’t yet exist. We have had this situation before where someone thinks it is a good idea to do selection in a certain way & therefore the selection policy is written around rules that don’t exist, only to find that the rules cannot be then brought into force.

If there is a good reason to hold selection in a different format than the ICF format, & I don’t believe that there is, then the rule changes must first be proposed, presented as a motion, accepted, ratified & then & only then, can we write selection policy around those rules, not before!

I don’t understand how the Committees can even consider a selection policy that is written outside of the rules, please feel free to enlighten me as to why this has even been accepted as a motion without the prior consultation process taking place.

How can the use of one ICF Championship race give three selection results that would provide us with the best team for ICF racing? Surely it’s better to select from three ICF races to qualify for ICF racing?

[Edited by SteveM on Dave's behalf to remove some control characters which had replaced punctuation]

Edited By SteveM on 1101412764

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Sun Nov 28, 2004 10:46 am

The motion to add to rule 34.1 as follows:

d) “Single Run Race” (For selection races only)
Time of single run in seconds + penalties = result.

Proposed by Bala Canoe Club and seconded by Holme Pierrepont Canoe Club

Was passed with 33 votes for and 7 against with 2 abstentions.

remember that as this was an ACM, all decisions have to be ratified by the elected committee, and possibly by the BCU board :ohwell: