83%
I Need more information to be able to tell
No votes
Please do not accept this motion
17%

Total votes: 12

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Mon Nov 15, 2004 8:47 am

6.3 For the 2005 season, a discount of £2 will be offered for second and subsequent entries at an event by the same competitor. A single discount may be earned oi claimed foi each boat in all classes except teams.

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Mon Nov 15, 2004 8:49 am

EXPLANATORY NOTE

This motion is intended to encourage participation in the Canadian classes especially in the lower divisions. It is proposed for the 2005 season as a trial with the hope that it may be made permanent at the 2005 consultative meeting. This may be recorded as a note with the entry fees, or as a new rule UK 11.4.9 at the secretary's discretion."
We would see the discount being either split across the club and BCU (as a percentage of all entry fees already are) or we would suggest in preference that the motion could be extended to state that "such discounts can be offset in full against the admin fee payable by the club.
All spelling errors are intentional and are there to show new and improved ways of spelling old words. Grammatical errors are due to too many English classes/teachers.
Old. Fat. Slow. Bad tempered. And those are my good points

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Wed Nov 17, 2004 9:03 am

I'd be interested to know why any people who voting against this do so. Could you let me know either by posting or e-mail or private message.

No back biting, no recriminations, no slagging off, just interested so that I can understand your view - you might even convert me.

Thanks
All spelling errors are intentional and are there to show new and improved ways of spelling old words. Grammatical errors are due to too many English classes/teachers.

g_c1

Post by g_c1 » Thu Nov 18, 2004 2:06 pm

I think this is a brilliant idea

especally for lower divisions and big groups such as universitys who can then get better value for money and are more likely to want to come back and do more events

G

craig

Post by craig » Thu Nov 18, 2004 5:42 pm

yep, good idea bring bk the old days where everyone did every class!

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Sun Nov 28, 2004 10:54 am

A discount of £2 will be offered for second and subsequent individual entries at an event by the same competitor. A single discount may be earned or claimed for each boat.
Proposed by Mold Canoe Club and seconded by Proteus Canoe Club
This was accepted unanimously.

remember that as this was an ACM, all decisions have to be ratified by the elected committee, and possibly by the BCU board :ohwell:

c2canoeslalom

Post by c2canoeslalom » Tue Nov 30, 2004 2:11 pm

While we're talking about entry fees, I recently raced in Austria. It cost me 5 Euro to enter. That's about 3 quid. This didn't only get me a place on the startline of an International race, it also included a meal for me at lunch time. A sandwich (hot or cold) and a drink. How come it's so expensive here in Britain? Just curious if anyone is able to enlighten me. Etienne has just made a post about section judges and has said that they get some form of financial assistance. Is this where our entry fees go? Perhaps participation throughout the whole sport would be higher if entry fees were more reasonably priced?! Just a thought.
RESIST OR SERVE

jim croft

Post by jim croft » Tue Nov 30, 2004 3:23 pm

Did you enter the race through the Slalom Administrator?

Read page 41 in the 2004 Slalom Yearbook

c2canoeslalom

Post by c2canoeslalom » Tue Nov 30, 2004 3:56 pm

Would there be a problem if I hadn't? I raced as part of the Welsh team and I believe £20 was paid to the slalom administrator for the whole group. However this is irrelevant to the point I'm making about fees at home, or is it actually now I come to think of it?
As far as I can see the Welsh team paid about £24 to enter the event for 8 paddlers to race, but another £20 to the slalom administrator. For 8 paddlers to race at a single event in Britain it would cost £114. So even with the fee being paid to the slalom administrator there is still £70 floating around somewhere in the case of the International I raced in.
Why is a slalom administrator needed? No offence to the current administrator but I'm sure that home nation managers are capable of contacting the relevant people regarding international races as contact info is available to everyone on the ICF website. Home nation teams could be better off as a result of it.
Of course I may be wrong and not have a clue what I'm talking about but all I can see at the moment are figures suggesting I pay a lot more to race at home than our european competitors.
RESIST OR SERVE

Mrs H

Post by Mrs H » Tue Nov 30, 2004 7:35 pm

At the Llangollen/HPP International we do not charge any international paddler so your race was more expensive than us!!

Mrs H

Post by Mrs H » Tue Nov 30, 2004 7:38 pm

Oh and by the way you definately have no idea regarding the slalom administrator, Jim puts in many many more hours than he is paid for and Catherine's work is voluntary so before you make ridiculous suggestions re entry fees and the administrator I suggest you get your facts right!

c2canoeslalom

Post by c2canoeslalom » Tue Nov 30, 2004 10:54 pm

I wasn't having a dig. I realise that Jim and Catherine do a lot for the sport. I didn't know that the International at Llan/HPP was free as fortunately for me the WCA ends up sorting Pan Celtic's and the British Open events all i do is fill in an entry form.
I apologise if my comments have offended anyone (Mrs H, Jim and Catherine in particular)
However I still feel that the price of entry fees have to be addressed. Fair enough I wasn't informed that International athletes who entered the British Open did not pay an entry fee. Taking the point about the slalom administrator out of the equation my point is still that we seem to pay a lot.
I think it would be interesting to find out how much the rest of the world pays for an event (equivalent to that of our own) I.e. Compare our Prem fees with the European equivalent division. I would hope to see our prices are similar to that of our neighbours. If that is the case then I apologise now for assuming that we pay more and making such 'ridiculous suggestions'. Hopefully somebody will provide me with the right facts so I can be put straight.
What do the paddlers think? Do you think we pay too much, too little or just right? So far only members of the Exec (I think...my facts may once again be wrong...all apologies in advance) have commented about the issue at hand.
RESIST OR SERVE

jim croft

Post by jim croft » Wed Dec 01, 2004 10:37 am

:;): Thanks Mrs H for your support.
Just to add one small point re Internationals the ICF do NOT recognise the Home Nations (Eng,Wca,Sca,CanI) thats why all Class C entries have to be submitted through the BCU (Slalom Admin) and I can assure you it is not a straight forward as you think.

J C

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:02 pm

As far as the Slalom Committee admin fee, anyone who was at, or knows someone who was at the ACM will have access to the accounts. I do not have the figures to hand, so cannot be precise, but the committee made a slight profit last year - the sort of profit needed to be able to replace the timing equipment eventually. if you want to know teh numbers, either ask Andy K, or come to the Proteus Winter Slalom on 12 Dec and I will try to remember to bring the accounts booklet along.

The second part is the costs. If we had free access to water these would be much lower nad (possibly) the fees would be samller. I seem to remember that Washburn for a 1 day Div 1 is of the order of £800 just for the water. HPP and Tryweryn are not much better. Not so easy to make direct comparisons to our 'European cousins' if they do not pay for the water.

The last part of the equation is profit (or loss) to the organising club. I have not been involved at Prem/1 level in the financies for a while, but at the lower divisions profit is normally in two figures, or negative, not much for all the work the non slalmists put in. It has been suggested that it would be less risky, less work and more profitable for each club helper to donate £5 and go home . . . :D

Perhaps someone who has experiance of living and competing abroad can give us some comparisons (Dave?)

jim croft

Post by jim croft » Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:21 pm

:( The cost of hireing sites are some times horrendous, I don't all the hire fees but H/P in 2004 was £728.50 per weekend, you are now allowed any activities that you can try and make money at ie refreshment sales. Even the humble Cardington costs £190 to hire for the weekend, plus you have to hire toilets etc, as Colin says you make very little for a lot of hard work.

J C