Short Boats

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
Dutch Geezer

Post by Dutch Geezer » Wed Jun 30, 2004 12:37 pm

Thanks for the feedback folks, I'm just realising how gutsy a move it is to use the BB for feedback for the whole world to read.

Apologies about the fittings, I tried to copy what Stu Mac did in the Enigma, but they need some tuning.

One thing that would help would be if people who test the boat could give an indication of there weight in Kilos, maybe save embarassment by just saying a weight range, above 80, 75 -80, 70 -75, under 70. Also what C1 you currently paddle so we have an idea what you are comparing it against.

If you are looking to try the boat its at the WCP cabins. If you try the boat please let me know.

If you find anything wrong with the fittings or the boat, let me know so I can get it fixed.

Kay_Brads

Post by Kay_Brads » Fri Jul 02, 2004 4:17 pm

I'm quite excited about the new shorter boats as i am a short paddler and it think it will so much better for the 'shorter' paddlers in canoeing! :D

Dave Royle

Post by Dave Royle » Fri Jul 02, 2004 8:30 pm

You and I will have to have extra short boats tho' and they would once again be too short for the regulations :p

FatBoy

Post by FatBoy » Fri Jul 09, 2004 9:29 am

Maybe I'm a bit late on this topic (again), and there's nothing I can do cos it's happening but wasn't the original reason behind the 4m min length to not give advantage to smaller paddlers?

At 6'2" and 15st I already have more boat depth in the water, bigger chest + then bigger BA on top. The only saving grace was that at least the boat length was the same. I'm not sure I'm even going to be able to get in a 3.6m boat!

In principal I've got no prob with it as it's really not going to make a difference to my competitiveness, and if it's better for the Prem + intl guys/gals then fine by me. I just hope that by the time the lower divs are flooded with second hand short boats that courses aren't so tight I can't fit down them.

davebrads

Post by davebrads » Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:46 pm

The shorter boats will have to be deeper in the hull to maintain the same volume, so actually short boats may be more comfortable than the longer ones for tall people, as you will be able to sit with your legs more bent.

Dutch Geezer

Post by Dutch Geezer » Fri Jul 16, 2004 5:49 pm

Any one paddled the Scimitar lately? I may bring it over to the Tryweryn on Sunday if anyone wants to try it there.

Dutch Geezer

Post by Dutch Geezer » Tue Jul 20, 2004 1:22 pm

Neil Buckley has got the latest Scimitar at Nottingham, its built up for the slightly bigger paddler, or for those who prefer some extra volume in the front.

The Scimitar 75 and the DD built Force, which we are building under licence from Nomad, will be available from mid August onwards.

I hope to have all the demo fleet of short boats at Tully.

James

Post by James » Sun Jul 25, 2004 8:30 am

I dont know if were ment to know but we saw a nomad force 355 in the peak shop a few weeks back.
The front was very short, while the tail didnt look much shorer than a 4 m boat

rich hounslow

Post by rich hounslow » Sun Jul 25, 2004 4:14 pm

i think the boat you are refering to is the white force 355. it was one of the early designs that went through a few modifications. Craig Morris aquired it to take away with him in Europe. i don't think it was any kind of top secret boat.

NKcanoe

Post by NKcanoe » Thu Aug 05, 2004 10:45 am

I just bought a new "FORCE 360" from Nomad. Its very fast, less effort to get boat up to speed, and as for turning, Well, Just try a Demo and you will never go back to a 4m boat again.

Nomad have just sold the licence to Double Dutch & Gala, and they loved it. Watch this space.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Dutch Geezer

Post by Dutch Geezer » Thu Aug 05, 2004 7:33 pm

Just had some feedback on the short boats, cutting the front down has not made them unbreakable.

This is me just surmissing how the damage may have happened, but it looks like someone tried to do moves better suited to those short fat stumpy plastic playboats, result the demo boat now has a broken nose.

I am really disappointed that whoever did it didn't have the decency to let either Neil or myself know that the boat had been broken. I also wonder if the same person stole the screw out of the seat.

Up until now I have resisted having demo boats because they are open to abuse. With the new short boats I thought it was crucial to get paddlers in them to prove how good they are. I still think its important for people to try the boats and I will keep the demo boats at HPP but please by all means paddle them, just dont abuse them. If you do damage the boat have the decency to tell us.

The scimitar is actually Neil Buckley's training / Demo boat, how would you feel if someone took your boat out and broke it and didn't tell you.

SteveM
Site Admin

Post by SteveM » Thu Aug 05, 2004 9:16 pm

That's really poor behaviour :angry:

Hope it won't put you off having the demo's - I for one would like a try in a shorter K1 sometime to see if it would make a good combo slalom and river/surf boat. I made a Blitz last 10 years so I'm not too hard on boats. My Acro is too heavy for my weedy arms to lift now, so a new slalom boat might be a nice compromise for me! :D I wonder if 3.5m will be short enough though?

Steve

davebrads

Post by davebrads » Sun Aug 22, 2004 7:42 pm

We were at Augsburg a couple of weeks ago, and there were a few of the DD short boats about. One belonging to some Germans staying on our campsite had broken its tail on the Washing Machine, so the new boats will certainly not be indestructable.

Dutch Geezer

Post by Dutch Geezer » Wed Nov 03, 2004 12:25 pm

Thanks to all those people who took part in the short boat slalom on Sunday afternoon, after the International had finished.

Some interesting comments, Tommy Powers taking 10 seconds off his run time in a Force 360.

Dave Bradshaws getting gates 1 to 2 clean in the Double Dutch Stimulus C1. He had four attempts in his own boat and didn't manage it once.

Ettienne was as quick if not quicker in the tasman 360.

These are just some of the comments I know off. So come on folks lets have more feedback.

On a slightly different note, I'd like to add my thanks to Mark, Tim and Ettiene for Saturday evening. it was really good to see so many slalomists and their parents supporting what was a cracking event.

If we have more international format races next season, do people think they would support more fun events after the final, or just go home.

canoebabe88

Post by canoebabe88 » Fri Nov 05, 2004 10:46 am

my sister paddles the paradox but i have just bort the scimitar as i play polo and every one else says it handals too much like a polo boat but i think that its a lot different try it out for your self :D