Selection

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
Nick Penfold

Post by Nick Penfold » Tue Jun 07, 2005 9:29 am

I think John is right: there is no specific rule that says the section judge must record the highest penalty. But it is usual (UK) practice, the assumption being that a dodgy decision will be protested. This might seem biased, but so are protests - have you ever protested to get a penalty put on, rather than taken off?
There's not much point in having gate judges if the section judge overrules their decisions. Having said that, I've sometimes lost confidence in a gate judge and overruled their higher penalty when I was confident they were wrong.
At internationals the rules are that "the section judging team agree the penalty" and they do, insofar as you can discuss stuff across the water by waving your arms about. And at major events protests are rare, and it's not because of the high fee. The reason is simple: the paddler almost never wins.

geust

Post by geust » Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:07 pm

world class winners win more often than not it would seem ??? its been that way for many years and nothing will change

Geebs

Post by Geebs » Fri Jun 10, 2005 11:26 pm

Thank's for the retraction and apology Jim

Oh and by the way I still have not received any details yet!

Graeme
Annoyed
Paddle fast,,,Paddle safe Yorkshire Canoe Coaching

jim croft

Post by jim croft » Mon Jun 13, 2005 8:46 am

:) I can only pass details on, but I will give Jacky Wetzig a reminder or you could contact her direct, all her details are in the 2005 Slalom Yearbook

Jim Slalom Admin

Gill

Post by Gill » Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:45 am

In one year being a Div 3 paddler I have had 3 50's given against me that I have not agreed with (I haven't done that many events). I am a very honest paddler, and if I miss a gate I don't protest, I leave it as a fifty.

For these 3 different events I put a protest in & it was upheld each time. Two I was totally confused what I could have possibly done, the third one, I was told deliberate displacement, but another judge who was watching me on that section decided it wasn't, i'd clipped the pole but went through the middle. The position of the gate judge was not adequate for a good view of the gate.

The first one, people watching me on the side told me the judge was talking to someone when I went for that gate and no reason was given.

The second one, no reason was given - This judge also gave 50's to at least 4 other paddlers - all of which protests were upheld

Being a qualified gate judge myself, I know how difficult it can be to judge events (I'm only talking about div 3 / 4's). I take the view of benefit of doubt - If I can't justify it on my paper I don't give it. But I do not take my eyes of the paddler, and I certainly do not talk to people whilst I'm judging.

People say to me that it evens itself out, you get decisions in your favour, and some against you, I just feel this is a load of rubbish, you may have done your best ever race, then because the judge isn't watching you can come last. What's the point?

Having watching someone win a Div 3 race who blatently missed a gate, told everybody they had missed it, parents saying they missed it - then suddenly they hadn't when results came out, it makes me wonder why we enter these competitions. It is not a one off occasion, this is happening numerous times each race.

I understand that people are volunteers, but if you are going to give your time, you should be doing it to the best of your abilities. When someone volunteers to be a gate judge, they should focus on the water / paddler, not spend half the time talking to others with their headsets off.

I'd just like to say thank you to the organiser at Ironbridge who after granting reruns to 2 div 3 ladies listened to us and took onboard what we said happened, and after discussion with them choose to only give one of the girls a rerun. It's nice to know that some organisers are willing to listen to others and are willing to look at their decision to make the race fair.