Ladies Team Medal

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
Bus Driver

Post by Bus Driver » Tue Oct 04, 2005 6:40 pm

I would like to congratulate the Senior Ladies team for thier success, another silver for the greater good of slalom in GB, they have every right to be proud of themselves.....Well done! :)

Post by guest » Tue Oct 04, 2005 6:53 pm

I would like to add my congratulations as well but am a little confussed.........did I hear the GB team coach who was helping to comentate on eurosport correctly.....I think his reply when asked at the end of the coverage something like "what was the high spot of this competition for you" was Robin Bell getting the gold in C1 for austrailia........Do team medals mean so little to our national coaching structure? Surely a medal like this is a reflection of the hard work and dedication of these athletes and we should all be proud of them.

Geebs

Post by Geebs » Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:49 am

Sorry can not comment on the last post as I missed it :angry:

But well done to the Ladies great result.

It seems as though the Ladies teams are the ones that should be encouraged seeing as how the Ladies won the Gold Medal in the Canoe Polo at the European's in Madrid and a Silver at the Worlds, the Ladies a Silver in Slalom at the Worlds.

Shows what 'Girl Power' can do, well done ladies we are all proud of you :D
Paddle fast,,,Paddle safe Yorkshire Canoe Coaching

VivienneM

Post by VivienneM » Wed Oct 05, 2005 10:20 am

Yes. Well done ladies - fantastic result.
We think team runs are great.
It would be good if there could sometimes be team runs at the end of events - say in protest time using the back up timing system but no extra gate judges - just for fun and practice.

Post by Guest » Wed Oct 05, 2005 1:11 pm

Good to see the ladies get a great result, with good solid performances in the individual event, good to see them again be the most solid class.

From the coaches point of view team races are important, and try to schedule training etc. Didn't see the coverage, but maybe the coach was just replying on the basis of what he thought was the best performance of the Championships, if so, by definition it would be hard to put a silver medal in there?

One of the problems is that team racing is no longer a regular feature of domestic racing, not because of organisers or the coaching teams, but because the athletes themselves didn't commit to them, maybe if it was tried again things would be different?

I wouldn't hold my breath though, as in the past, it was not unusual to hear paddlers complaining about the lack of teams in the team event, whilst at the same time giving a reason why they couldn't compete (have to go home/too tired/ not enough teams competeing to make it worth it etc) so it becomes a vicous circle. No-one enters ,no-one wants to compete cause of lack of competition, no-one enters)

Also the funding system as determined by UKSport, does not recognise the team races to any level (as it's not an Olympic discipline), which is out of our hands.

Just to correct a fact, the performance of the Ladies is not the best ever, we have won silver in the team race 3 times before 1981, '83 and '95, and on those occasions we also won Gold & silver in the indidvidual event in '83, and Gold and 4th in the individual event in '95.
You sometimes wonder if people remember that slalom was happening before 1997!