ACM

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
davebrads

Post by davebrads » Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:21 pm

In the
BRITISH CANOE UNION SLALOM COMMITTEE

REGULATIONS AND ADMINISTRATION

it seems that nominations for committee members and proposals should be submitted at least 21 days before the ACM. (section 4.1 and 7.4)

However, the date of the ACM needs only to be announced 14 days before! (section 7.2)

surely something wrong here.

Anyway, things seem to be hotting up, so it must be imminent - but I don't seem to know the date, can anyone enlighten me?

Dave Royle

Post by Dave Royle » Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:23 pm

Try 26 November 2005 - Yearbook page 167. I guess that gives at least 14 days !

davebrads

Post by davebrads » Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:29 pm

Thanks Dave!

The regulations don't make any more sense though :)

Geebs

Post by Geebs » Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:31 pm

Must admit, I would have thought it should be the other way around? but as the ACM is advertised in the yearbook it solves that problem.

But if anyone wanted a memory jogger and wanted to stand for election, they would be out off time,,,,,,,,,,,,,interesting :cool:
Paddle fast,,,Paddle safe Yorkshire Canoe Coaching

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Thu Oct 20, 2005 10:02 am

No they would not. Nominations 21 days before using new regs (5 Nov) or 30 days by old constitution (27 October).
So you could be nominated or propose motions/orders of business still.

No problem with date being published whenever. It is the BUSINESS of the meeting (e.g. the Agenda) and teh location/time that is to be published that close.

Glad I am not the secretary any more, only a week to get all motions, prepare agenda, get it copied and circulated. . . The committee can no longer discuss teh business as they need 7 days notice of any meeting, and there are just 7 days between closure and despatch - unless the secretary is to have the committee meeting, then create the papers for the meeting, copy them, stuff them into envlopes and post them all on the same day. . .

There are other issues that I am concerned about, but some aspects (such as above) is a departure from how we used to work, and being a sad old person I always resist change.

My biggest concern is that I know the work the Chair has to do. If we do not get someone to agree to take on this workload explicitly we could end up with a committee with no one willing or able to do the job. What happens then?
The same applies to the financial knowledge needed from a treasurer. I assume then that the BCU are happy to have an amateur managing the funds. . . I would not be).
To a lesser extent the same applies to the secretary (needs to understand how teh committee works, and have time to attend to teh coprorate governance issues).
The Vice chair has to be willing to step in to the chair role if required - as noted above this is not easy and We should acknowledge the fact that Anne has had to shoulder this load with minimal notice.

So I would still like o see these 'officers' directly elected.

Ah well might be a spirited discussion at the ACM, under old constitution, or new regulations and under whichever person ends up as chair (assuming they both get nominated by two individual members - the Slalom Committee as a body cannot make proposals any more unless we run under constitution not regs ):rock:
All spelling errors are intentional and are there to show new and improved ways of spelling old words. Grammatical errors are due to too many English classes/teachers.
Old. Fat. Slow. Bad tempered. And those are my good points

Post by Guest » Fri Oct 21, 2005 8:45 am

As a 'newy' to all this, thought sport was about sportmanship and all that...... Seems committees and sportmanship don't always go together???

Train2Win

Post by Train2Win » Fri Oct 21, 2005 8:47 am

I can't believe someone's alleging that the committee are fixing the rules to make it harder for people to get onto it! They're crying out for volunteers...I'm sure that a few of the people volunteering their services for little or no reward other than helping the sport would gladly step aside if someone equally committed stepped forward.

People give the committee a lot of stick and ok sometimes they decide things that we don't all agree on, but at the end of the day they are hard-working volunteers giving up their spare time for the good of canoe slalom.

I suggest that if people have a real interest in improving the exec they step forward and take on one of the vacant roles.

The alternative to the exec is to have WC run the whole thing, and I'm sure that the WC coaches couldn't be doing with a massive administrative workload on top of coaching and non WC paddlers would complain of bias. So support the exec instead of looking for conspiracies for heaven's sake!!

Anne

Post by Anne » Fri Oct 21, 2005 10:38 am

Hear Hear,Thank you it is lovely to get some support instead of constant criticisim. at the end of the day the slalom committee are here to supoort and administer the sport. as you say it is no good complaining if you are not preparted to put anything in. I don't think many people are aware of the enormous amount of work for the good of the sport they do. There will be a letter diplayed over the next two weekends giving a resume of what has been achieved over the last year and the plans and vision for the future. Please come and dicsuss any of these issues with me.

Post by Guest » Fri Oct 21, 2005 10:46 am

Meaning was that 'sportmanship' meant supporting those who try to run the sport for everyone, and have to take on board everyones varying views,not bicker and back bite about them - it is always surprising how many have plenty to say but never come forward when work needs doing.
After all what we wnt to do is enjoy the canoeing!