2012 Broxbourne Slalom Course

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
Richie

Post by Richie » Thu Oct 20, 2005 11:01 am

I was a little bored at work today and so started to look at some of the info on the new course on the internet. One of the biggest concerns is the cost, which has been estimated at £20 million (the course itself only £7 million). However, if you take the cost per gold medal that can be won at the site, even at the highest estimate, the cost would be £5 million.

I then looked at the olympic stadium, which has an estimated cost of £250 million, and lets face it, the actual cost will probably be much higher. There will be 43 gold medals available at this site (including the marathon and the walking race), which puts the cost at atleast £5.8 million per gold medal!!!!

I suppose tha the opening and closing cermonies will also be held here, but you also have to take into account their 'legacy value'. There is talk of taking down more than half of the olympic stadiums seating because it would not be a viable sporting venue. On the other hand, there is a good chance that the slalom course would servive as a business for a long time to come, just look at the sydney course. (you can't compare our course to the athens one because it seems that has been simply neglected)

Train2Win

Post by Train2Win » Fri Oct 21, 2005 8:37 am

The course should definitely be build in London, to increase the slalom legacy. We should all put pressure on local MPs etc to ensure that canoeing doesn't feel the pinch when they budget what to spend money on when building facilities. After all, the Broxbourne centre was in hteir bid, so going back on that would be dishonest.

An another point, the course is Cardiff will be ready by 2007 apparently, so it gets built regardless of London 2012. Also one has to consider the athletes, if the slalom is relocated to HPP, then major work will have to be done on the course...meanwhile where do all the paddlers based there train!!?

Mrs.A.Kiedis

Post by Mrs.A.Kiedis » Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:02 pm

Why does actually matter if the course is in London or not as long as we get a course? The sailing is on the South West coast, miles away from London! I can't really live much further south from HPP, but traffic means London will be little closer in time. The sport will progress and be developed if there is a new course, no matter where it is. As long as it doesn't become too elitist, eg if World Class rents it then allows open slots; if this had to happen all the time then non WCpaddlers would be disadvantaged. Nothing against World Class here, just an example.

curlycampbell

Post by curlycampbell » Thu Nov 10, 2005 1:34 am

Impressed by your analysis Richie. One big hurdle has already been overcome in getting the Olympics to London. Wether you supported the bid or not, surely the only way for our sport to progress is for everyone to now support the development of a world class, and I agree sustainable, facility.