Who are ya!     Who are ya!

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
Pingu

Post by Pingu » Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:00 pm

Who are ya! Who are ya! (or more particularly, who are we!)

I've noticed several times over the past months a number of contibutors referring to the "BCU" when they speak about some of our rules. I've often seen comments along the lines of "The levies paid by Clubs to the BCU are too high", as though there is a "them" and "us".

Please remember that when they refer to the BCU, what they usually mean the "BCU Slalom Committee".

The Slalom Committee is not "them" it is "us". It is directly elected by Slalom Club representatives and is looking after the sport (on behalf of the BCU). If the levies are believed to be too high then it is for the slalom clubs to amend them. In previous years this would be done by an AGM motion which would automatically change the rules. Under the draft ACM regulations it would be a simialr motion that would be subsequently be considered by the Slalom Committee. This is the same for any of the other UK rules and procedures.

So don't just complain if the rules and regulations are not to your liking. Play your part in changing them, by participating in the democratic process!
Out of Darkness cometh Light

Pingu

Post by Pingu » Fri Nov 18, 2005 1:23 pm

Apologies for breaking the unwritten rule of bumping your own post to the top by replying to it (but within minutes of me posting this, CP had posted a dozen topics about the ACM business and it immediately got relegated to page 2!!)

It is a minor bug bear of mine and I wanted more paddlers to see it.
Out of Darkness cometh Light

Anne

Post by Anne » Fri Nov 18, 2005 1:34 pm

Well said Pingu.