Chairman - Your chance to express an opinion

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good

Chairman - Your chance to express an opinion

Anne Hounslow has been nominated by Frome CC. This nomination is recommended by the Slalom Committee
48%
Keith Goddard has been nominated by Manchester CC, Bridgend CC, Green Star CC & Llandysul Paddlers CC.
52%
Someone else (but who, post their name below)
No votes

Total votes: 48

Joe Stevo

Post by Joe Stevo » Sun Nov 20, 2005 6:07 pm

About the Nottingham point, anybody know where Helen Reeves and Campbell Walsh come from? I believe London and Scotland. They have done pretty well for themselves. You'll find that it doesn't matter where a paddler comes from, its how committed they are to their dream.

And what makes you think that Nottingham is costing more and more to run? Apart from a few new blocks it hasn't changed in 20years!

davebrads

Post by davebrads » Mon Nov 21, 2005 4:08 pm

Joe, that's just my point - Our two top paddlers came miles away from Nottingham and therefore if they were juniors today, they would be getting very little support from the set-up in Notthingham, unless they were already at the very top at junior level, and prepared to travel to Notthingham every other weekend (and afford it too!). I don't know about Helen, but I know that Campbell was a late developer, and if he was English he would have had very little support at all.

My criticism is of the money spent on coaching at Nottingham, not the maintenance of the facility.

Anne - the committee should not be waiting for clubs to ask for help, it should be actively seeking to identify coaches and facilities around the country. Many of the coaches are already so disenchanted that they have already left the sport, or at least coaching anyway.

Anne

Post by Anne » Mon Nov 21, 2005 4:36 pm

What may I ask is Don doing??? As has been said many times nothing happens overnight, it is a gradual process that filters through slowly, If my memory serves me correctly we have supported 5 or 6 clubs this year with coaching grants, and Don is working with the young peoples programme, the BCU coaching service and LTDP to try to increase coaching input to competition. However clubs do have to have to take some initiative and approach the committee if there is something they wish to pursue.

As to Nottingham, for all sports there is always at some level or other a centre of excellence, slalom is luckier than say rowing,their centre is on the Thames! at least Nottingham is reasonably central and easially accessable.

kanu.63

Post by kanu.63 » Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:48 pm

Why not develope more regional centers of exelence to feed a national center ? How about places like Shepperton,Stone,Manchester,Teeside etc getting more help .It seems to me that HPP is drawing in all the tallent but leaveing big holes where the kids have no role models to emulate.Have we produced an inverted pyramid where all the attention and money is focused at the top .If slalom is to recover ,the bottom of the pyramid needs to be rebuilt starting at the clubs, because this is where our next role models like Cambell will enter the sport and we need to give them the best availible coaching and resorces.

Junior paddler

Post by Junior paddler » Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:05 pm

kanu63 - I like that idea.

Geebs

Post by Geebs » Tue Nov 22, 2005 12:54 am

There are coaches working at Shepperton and Stone, Teeside is a problem area
1/ It is tidal and the the sessions would have to fit in with the releases which are not always convinient times.
2/ There appears to be no concessions towards training and paddlers have to pay the full water access price and have a L3 recreational coach there to get on the water if parents are not availble to sign minors in.

Manchester I can not comment on, so I apologise for that.

Don has done a wonderful job in helping clubs and paddlers get support over the year, but as has been said so many times before, people do this in their spare time and do not get paid for doing it. If you want quick answers you need to find funding to employ someone full time to do this job and that then takes resources away from the paddlers, catch 22 I'm afraid.

I personally am not happy with the way one of my daughter's has just been treated by WCS over the past week and the lack of response from them, but I won't #### about it on the website we will get on and prove them wrong.

I suppose we are lucky as a family as 4 out of the 5 of us are qualified slalom coaches, but the only way we achieved this was to give up some time and take the qualifications and gain the knowledge so we could pass information and support to other paddlers.

There is 21 coaches listed in the year book in the Manchester N/W area and 16 again in the Teeside area including some very experianced coaches level 3 & 4, has anyone approached them for help? I am sure if they were free they would give support to the area, if they are not already doing so which I guess in most cases they are in one form or another. Resources are usually available you just need to ask for help sometimes.

Please read the topic from Harry Mugford entitled Shepperton on the forum.
Paddle fast,,,Paddle safe Yorkshire Canoe Coaching

raeofsunshine

Post by raeofsunshine » Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:36 am

At the end of the day the course at Teesside is a business and cant give discounts to everyone who is training as it would have to accomodate all of the disciplines. There is a club at the centre who cater very well for slalom, providing structured coaching with events such as frost bite slaloms. There are a number of excellent coaches who are paddling themselves and coaching the younger paddlers. We have also invited other clubs such as Durham and Stockton & Thornaby to our events. Teesside is only a problem area because it doesnt get the recognition it deserves!

NW paddler

Post by NW paddler » Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:49 am

I don't think Tees is a problem, you have a decent course and place to practice. In the NW there is no artificial courses and guaranteed water. Dave Bradshaw does a great job at Manchester training paddlers. However Shepperton, Stafford & Stone... do get extra support.
What would be really great would be the talked about artificial course near Manchester.

FatBoy

Post by FatBoy » Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:45 am

Several points from observing this thread:

1) Slalom committee cannot work magic on a geographical area with no input from volunteers from the local club - any coaching initiative must be started from the club not centrally. It's a nice idea that all regions should be treated equally but there will not be a consistent level of help coming the other way.

2) In the era of funding for this and that we must not forget that it basically comes down to the athelete to get to the top. That desire will see its way through adversity of training venues etc. Conversely no amount of coaching or funding will make up for a lack of desire on the part of the athelete.

3) HPP currently is the best training water in the country. It makes perfect sense for the most money to be spent on coaches here. Maybe post 2012 this will be in Lea Valley. Who knows.

apostle

Post by apostle » Tue Nov 22, 2005 5:34 pm

i know that the slalom committe is there to help the sport grow and develop but is it there to supply coaches to clubs?

it should help create a strucutre for more people to get into coaching but it surely isnt there to provide and pay for coaches? is it....? ???

this must be sport englands job and the world class development programme's... ???

fison

Post by fison » Tue Nov 22, 2005 5:51 pm

reference to Teesside there is a lot of paddleing but it always seems to be down to certain indviduals who will give slalom a bad name and no i wont name them but Teesside is alive and kicking and has and will in the furture produce top slalom paddlers. I for one have seen many changes and people sticking there owr in and causing trouble. Let the paddlers get on and do what they do best and paddle and help us to achive there potional :p
lets get it on

VivienneM

Post by VivienneM » Wed Nov 23, 2005 11:38 am

I agree apostle. Even so, The slalom committee has helped with a donation towards Community Sports coaches, with a brief for whitewater.
Thanks to this Addlestone has given some focus to slalom again.
The club has now written into its 3 year action plan. ‘to have at least 3 new paddlers ranked in div 3 or above in slalom each year’. – good stuff, and inspired by the slalom committee’s donation.

The club had drifted away from slalom since one coach has been less involved, although always enjoyed the Interclubs – this year without a single ranked paddler.

I’ll expand on the Community Sports Coach scheme if anyone is interested. Briefly, this was suggested to the club by the BCU youth programme and involves regaining Top Club status. The CSC contact local schools and run 6 week after-school courses at the club, with the aim to introduce the kids into the club sessions.

John Sturgess

Post by John Sturgess » Fri Nov 25, 2005 12:00 pm

Community Sports Coaches
It sounds as though it is time for a little briefing about Community Sports Coaches, as the suggestion is getting thrown around on this thread. And before anyone questions what I know about them: I have successfully bid for three, and currently have one full-time and one part-time Community Sports Coaches working for me, with another part-timer in course of recruitment.

What are they?
Coaches working at the FUNdamentals stage of Long Term Athlete Development (i.e. pre-growth-spurt) with a multi-sports or multi-skills remit. 50% government-funded for 3 years up to £12,000 pa for full-timers and up to £2,000 pa for part-timers. The employers have to commit the rest - for 3 years.
So a body that can commit £12,000 pa for 3 years can get 37 hours a week; a body that can commit £2,000 pa for 3 years can get c. 6 hours a week.

What can they do?
Anything that forwards the LTAD FUNdamentals agenda. It doesn’t have to include work with schools - in fact applicants are required to minimise the amount of work done with school-age children in school hours.
But it should focus on FUNdamental Movement Skills and FUNdamental Sports Skills (Physical Literacy - Agility, Balance, Co-Ordination, Speed, Hitting, Throwing, Kinaesthesia, etc), not just on technical skills coaching for canoeing.
However a good LTAD case could be made, in a Club which already recruits largish numbers of pre-growth-spurt children and has the resources to handle their flat-water introduction, for the CSC to be responsible for introducing pre-growth-spurt children to moving water/rough water/low-level slalom competition.

How does the budgeting work?
Your £24,000 (full-time) or £4,000 (part-time) has to include:
on-costs (National Insurance, pension contributions, etc) usually reckoned at 25% of salary
travelling expenses
Continued professional development
Hosting costs
provision for inflationary pay rises
any operational budget

This has tended to mean that you can actually pay your CSC c. £2,500 part-time or c. £15,000 full-time - only c. £8.50 an hour - but unlike sessional coaches they get that for travelling from base to session etc; also holiday and sickness pay.

You can budget to pay part of the cost from small charges to participants. However if sessions make a profit that profit must be recycled into he project, not handed over to the Club. And the Club must guarantee the money anyway.

As the government’s CSC money is Exchequer Funding not Lottery Funding, you can use Lottery money as part of your match funding.

Remember that if you can get £1,000 a year from a business firm or firms, you can get that (almost) automatically SportsMatched - which means doubled. Which means that your part-time CSC would come free!

Although I think you would only get BCU support as part of the YPP’s PESSCL operations - which involves premises development and school links as well - the Slalom Committee would, I think be prepared to put money into this: even if that were only £500 pa for 3 years, that would take you a long way. And the moving water option might be particularly attractive to them.

Who can apply? To whom? Who needs to be involved?
Anyone can apply who fits the bill can apply. Most successful applicants have been Local Authorities, National Governing Bodies, and School Sports Co-Ordinator partnerships: but that is because they find it easiest to find people to write the applications; and to guarantee the match funding.
But there is no reason why a Club should not apply: and a part-timer or two might be a good way of beefing up a Club’s coaching resources.
Assuming that the Club does not already employ people, you would need to find a ‘host’ to handle the PAYE and NI aspects. I think you will find that the BCU Young People’s Programme will only do that for Coaches who come through their scheme. The Sports Development Unit of your Local Authority might do it, but might make a charge for it. You should get them involved anyway. Your local CVS might do it. Maybe your local School Sports Co-Ordinator Partnership would do it. But it could be any firm or organisation that employs people.
The application goes to your County Sports Partnership (except in Nottinghamshire, which doesn’t yet have one: but that is another story ...). The first stage is to make contact with thm, and find out what their cycle dates are, and what they regard as eligible: both vary from CSP to CSP. I can provide you with application details, sample applications etc.

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Sat Nov 26, 2005 6:42 pm

RESULTS:

Brian Chapman took the chair for this part of the meeting. The vote was conducted through a ballot. Anne Hounslow received 54 votes, Keith Goddard received 24 votes, with 2 abstentions. Anne Hounslow was therefore elected as chair for the remainder of the term
All spelling errors are intentional and are there to show new and improved ways of spelling old words. Grammatical errors are due to too many English classes/teachers.
Old. Fat. Slow. Bad tempered. And those are my good points