Chairman - Your chance to express an opinion

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good

Chairman - Your chance to express an opinion

Anne Hounslow has been nominated by Frome CC. This nomination is recommended by the Slalom Committee
48%
Keith Goddard has been nominated by Manchester CC, Bridgend CC, Green Star CC & Llandysul Paddlers CC.
52%
Someone else (but who, post their name below)
No votes

Total votes: 48

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:16 pm

Two people putting themselves up. Each has put out position papers. Or should someone else be nominated? If so who?

There will be an election at the ACM, but this is your chance to vote.
All spelling errors are intentional and are there to show new and improved ways of spelling old words. Grammatical errors are due to too many English classes/teachers.
Old. Fat. Slow. Bad tempered. And those are my good points

Geebs

Post by Geebs » Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:33 pm

Can I point out that as an ex-committee member of Green Star (for two weeks) but still a member of the club I or the rest of my family have not been asked about this nomination and as far as I am aware neither has any other members of the club?

This may be the opion of an individual, not a club as a whole.

So I beleive the nomination by Green Star for Keith Goddard may not be accurate, not that I have anything against Keith.
Paddle fast,,,Paddle safe Yorkshire Canoe Coaching

Bus Driver

Post by Bus Driver » Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:11 pm

Colin surely the nominations speak for themselves, 4 against 1 is the commitee not supposed to work for the majority?

I have no axe to grind either way but i thought the proposed regulations stated that the commitee appointed its own officials or have i missed another proposed rule change?

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Fri Nov 11, 2005 9:25 am

Without declaring support either way, nominations are only part of the story. One club is all that is needed, and once you have that you do not need any more nominations.
It does however indicate that those clubs reps are likely to vote for their nominee.

Geebs, the regs say that the committee of your club has to agree motions. If they are happy to do this without consultation, then the motion is valid. Please take it up with your club rather than stirring already muddy water. In fact we should all ensure that our views are known to the rep going, or that the committee appoints a proxy. The agenda and proxy forms are in the post. Mine arrived today.

If no one wants to go, then find someone you trust who is going, appoint the chair, or nominate me. BUT in the last two cases ensure that voting intentions are clear, and discretion identified or your vote may not be counted if any motions are amended.
All spelling errors are intentional and are there to show new and improved ways of spelling old words. Grammatical errors are due to too many English classes/teachers.
Old. Fat. Slow. Bad tempered. And those are my good points

Anne

Post by Anne » Fri Nov 11, 2005 9:59 am

The proxy forms ask you to return them to the Salom Administrator and you may appoint him, the chair of the BCU board or another club to hold them Personally as I have a vested interest in the votes in the interest of fairness I would not wish to hold them. Remember you can nominate any club that are attending.

Ummm

Post by Ummm » Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:02 am

This isn't the most easy decission in the world.

george

Post by george » Fri Nov 11, 2005 11:43 am

Anne all the way ,she has done the committee good and will continue to.
I no that she really wants to keep the canoe slalom running and she will. Vote for her all the way.

concerned paddler

Post by concerned paddler » Sun Nov 13, 2005 12:21 am

Anne seems to have done more as chair of the committe over the past few months than anyone has done in years. I say keep her in and let her carry on the good work.

Richie

Post by Richie » Sun Nov 13, 2005 12:29 am

I might be slightly biased, but there's only one way to go in this vote, Anne (mum!). :)

seofwman

Post by seofwman » Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:07 pm

Anne seems to have done a good job over the last 9 months - lets at least have some continuity in the post to give the committee a chance to drag the sport out of the doldrums it has been in for the last 10 years.

Anyway we do not want someone as chairman who has been an officer of the copmmitte and because he did not agree with something they were doing has resigned from his post on the Slalom Committee in the past.

Post by Guest » Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:34 am

I totally agree, Anne has done a brilliant job in the nine months as Chair, she must have a chance to continue.

davebrads

Post by davebrads » Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:09 am

You all know that I have supported Keith as the Manchester rep., and I have reasons for this.

There are a substantial number of posts saying that Anne has done a lot for slalom in the past few months. As an outsider, I have not noticed any significant change from the committees of the last 20 odd years. Can anyone enlighten me?

concerned paddler

Post by concerned paddler » Thu Nov 17, 2005 1:37 am

Being the Manchester rep does that mean that it is up to you who you vote for, or will your club have a say. I know one high ranking member of your club who wants to vote for Anne but has had no say in the matter. In fact, the first time he knew Manchester were supporting Keith was when the nominations were made public.

As for you saying there have been no changes in the committe over the last 20years, I think your missing the point. The committe's job has been the same since it started, to work for the improvemnt of our sport. The committe has always done this, hence the reason why you will not see any changes in the way it works. Prior to Anne, the committe struggled for a while due to some members not being able to put in the time needed. This has changed now and all the committee members are fully committed to improving the sport at all levels in this country.

This is the first ACM that the current committee has been able to put forward motions to make major changes in the sport, so off course you wouldn't have seen any big changes recently. Personally, I think the fact that we have got the under 23 and junior Europeans next year, and the sponsored marquee we had at Nottingham is a good sign of change and things to come.

Anne

Post by Anne » Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:51 am

Thanks for those words of support concerned paddler, I hope Dave it is at least your committees decision to support Keith. not yours as slalom rep, the same could be said of Green Star. As has been pointed out a number of times I have only been Chair for 9 months, it takes time to find ones feet, pick up the pieces and sort out what is already progressing and discuss with the committee new initiatives, we all have families and most of us full time jobs to contend with as well!! We have not until recently had a Marketing & Publicity rep for 18 months until Graham stepped into this role. If you read my report on the web and as sent to you Dave you can see what we have done and our vision for the future, I also discussed it with you at length at HPP!

It is great to see the support the Committee has out there, one are that is vital to the future success of any committee is to work as a team and be approachable and willing to listen to all paddlers hence "Puitting Padders First"

Thanks everyone, see you at the ACM

Post by Guest » Thu Nov 17, 2005 4:05 pm

Will the new Chair encourage the spreading of slalom training support round more clubs? Shepperton thank World Class for all the support they have had, some clubs have seen none. :angry: