Should we revert to K1 Ladies rather theam Women? - Are the PC days over? you vote

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good

Should we revert to K1 Ladies rather theam Women? - Are the PC days over? you vote

K1W is wrong, they are mostly too young, should be K1G(irlies)
4%
K1W is OK, but lets throw out PC and revert to K1L
50%
Don't be sexist keep K1W
7%
K1F lets be really accurate!
7%
Who cares?
32%

Total votes: 28

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Sat Oct 15, 2005 10:13 am

As an old fogey, I notice that there are lots of other old fogies who still refer to K1 Ladies.

I remember the slalom exec meeting where a female slalom committee employee said that K1L was sexist, unless we changed to K1 Gentlemen, we should change. The male members of the exec had no answer, knowing that there are lots of males who are paddling who are not gentlemen. So we switched to K1 Women.

Its hard to teach an old dog new tricks, so I have difficulty remembering K1 Women so as an almost off season poll, what do we think.

Should it stay K1 Women, despite most being juniors?
<flameproof suit on>
As the division is more and more junioir, should we call it K1 Girlies? Thats me, the tall slim bloke paddling a bright purple kayak very fast, driving a lotus esprit, honest! Go and hit him, and leave the old guy in the corner alone

Should we take pity on old codgers and revert to K1 Ladies

How about ultra PC, and have K1 (Male) and K1 (Female)

Or do you really not care?

Glad that in the UK we do not worry about C1M, just leave that to ICF to get flamed, abused and denigrated.

AND if you think I am going to propose this AND be the first to vote, you are out of your tiny little mind! I am not that brave
All spelling errors are intentional and are there to show new and improved ways of spelling old words. Grammatical errors are due to too many English classes/teachers.
Old. Fat. Slow. Bad tempered. And those are my good points

Post by Guest » Sat Oct 15, 2005 10:45 am

There are a few women/ladies coming through div 2 into div 1 at the moment, so not girlies!

seofwman

Post by seofwman » Sat Oct 15, 2005 5:30 pm

I resisted changing the Slalom Event Organiser to 'women' for a long time but as it was used abroad at the time I eventually gave in.

I would be extremley happy to revert the program back to Kayak Ladies, even if most of them are young or teenage girls.

It's much nicer title

Kev.S

Post by Kev.S » Sat Oct 15, 2005 5:47 pm

Its a sad world when we have to start considering PC in the uk slalom scene, is my daughter a woman, girl, female or lady, does she really care as long as she paddles. :(

PS. Colin Your not that old, you just look as though you had a tough time. :p
To err is human, if you really want to screw up, use a computer!!

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Sat Oct 15, 2005 6:09 pm

Could not agree more with the old man (sorry dad) must remember my PC. Do any of the other girls, ladies, women or females that actually take to the water really care?

Because I for sure do not! :p

Perhaps 'Canadian Paddler' and the likes of my Dad should be classed as senior Gentlemen and not veteran, or will old git do!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Sat Oct 15, 2005 9:24 pm

Thats a wonderful idea!!

The next Proteus winter Slalom (November 20th in case I have not told you!) will have Either 'Old Gits' or 'Grumpy Old Men/Women/Ladies/Girlies/Females' instead of veterans depends on my mood. :D

Drat Kev, how can I hide behind my pseudonym if you give my name away? (fun finding how to start this #### sentence without falling foul of the sensor - like that)

Hey did I say that the next Proteus winter slalom is on November 20th? See you here! :laugh:
All spelling errors are intentional and are there to show new and improved ways of spelling old words. Grammatical errors are due to too many English classes/teachers.

Inga

Post by Inga » Sun Oct 16, 2005 10:46 am

The germans are very polite. They refer to "Damen" and "Herren" which translated means ladies and gentleman!

Dee

Post by Dee » Sun Oct 16, 2005 11:02 am

My vote is go back to ladies - nothing to do with PC or non-PC. Simply that over the (less than perfect!) sound systems/head phones etc used at slalom events then K1 Ladies is far easier to distinguish from K1 Mens. Course this could just be my hearing.....
Kit Washer, Entry Clerk, Chauffeur, Reluctant Organiser, Online Entry Advocate .....
Anything I post under this user is my personal opinion; I am not posting as a member of the Slalom Committee!

SteveM
Site Admin

Post by SteveM » Sun Oct 16, 2005 12:34 pm

My vote was "Who cares?". I think reviewing the title for "Veterans" is a much more pressing concern. I can't believe how depressed I was on seeing as I was now classed as a Veteran at reaching a mere 36 years old, with not even the courtesy of asking if I didn't want to be a "Senior" any more :(

I think a title expressing us older guys greater wisdom, skill and maturity should be used, not one that merely says "Past it"! ???

Steve

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Sun Oct 16, 2005 3:34 pm

:( Oh oh, looks like a bid to take over the thread by those old timers who have reached 36! Ah well only a few more years and I can say I started slalom more than 'veteran' years ago!

So in a bid to keep the board active, I will started a new thread for new designations for the 'more (im)mature' paddlers.

iccle smurf

Post by iccle smurf » Sun Oct 16, 2005 10:08 pm

Hi CP, as promised i wil be doing my best t get down t ur slalom! I recon it doesnt matter for us girls, women, females, ladys,damen, "birds", "babes", "chicks" or lets face it some of u may be "house wifes"!!!!!!!!!! etc were not to bothered really!
with regards ur slalom it should be grumpy old men!!!!!!!!!!! n thats just talkin a bout a certain receiding C1 paddler sat next to me aka the bf!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

see ya there

c2canoeslalom

Post by c2canoeslalom » Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:31 am

Yer 'IS', maybe you're bf should consider going Vet cos of his receding hairline. Instead of reaching 36 the BCU can assess how much hair you have on your head and rank you in the approprate age cat.
RESIST OR SERVE

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Mon Oct 24, 2005 3:32 pm

IC How can you call the bf a gop, he's not old, I have been slaloming longer than he has been alive!

rats I blew it at the weekend, Kate accused me of actually sprinting for the first time this season! OK it was toward gate 11, but it worked, so I suppose I will have to get fit for next season!

(See I am not ignoring your posts!):0

jojo

Post by jojo » Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:04 pm

I like the old name Ladies - I've recently come back into slalom and out of habit put L on my entry cards. Trust Europe to be behind the change and I dont suppose we'll ever get everyone to agree. Women sounds a bit formal and stiff and to my mind it conjours up pictures of women bodybuilders and the like. Most of the female paddlers I know are quite girly and not at all butch. Hey here's a thought, we could use male and female - that covers all ages.

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:11 pm

Sorry this is an ACM motion too