For
74%
Against
26%

Total votes: 19

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:36 pm

8.12. Boats Paddles & Accessories
In order to clarify the conditions under which a boat will pass scrutiny, and to promote safe paddling for juniors it is proposed that the following amendments be made.
P75, 7.1.2. Amend to read “The minimum weight of the boat is determined when the boat is dry and may include air bags”
P84, 19.1. At the end of the first sentence add “Air bags are recommended.”

It has always been understood that any additional weight added to a boat to ensure it reaches the minimum for its class should be fixed and permanent. Nowhere in the Year Book, or in fact in International rules is this written It is however something that is accepted as an unwritten rule. As Air bags cannot be fixed and permanent this proposal is put forward in order to clarify the conditions under which a boat will pass scrutiny, and to promote a safer environment for both paddlers and rescuers Obviously boats will continue to be weighed opportunistically after racing.

Proposed by the Slalom Committee
All spelling errors are intentional and are there to show new and improved ways of spelling old words. Grammatical errors are due to too many English classes/teachers.
Old. Fat. Slow. Bad tempered. And those are my good points

quaker

Post by quaker » Tue Nov 15, 2005 1:35 pm

It was my understanding that all boats should be capable of floating whilst full of water (I'm sure that there is a rule somewhere about it). So adding the notion that the weight of the boat may include airbags doesn't seem to add anything at all.

All additional weight added to boats to "make the weight" should be fixed... and the boat should be capable of floating anyway. If people want to add airbags to increase the buoyancy of their craft then so be it.... it is sensible, but that extra weight (all 500gms at the most) should not be used "make the weight".

I also believe that we will get into some silly situations were some paddlers will just chuck an empty airbag into their boat to make up the difference as the rule contains no notion that the bag should be inflated. (remember when helmet rules changed and some paddlers put legal helmets on the wrong way round just to make the point?)

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Sat Nov 26, 2005 6:54 pm

RESULT

Amended to refer to INFLATED AIRBAGS then

This motion was carried with 67 votes for, 2 votes against and 11 abstentions :)
All spelling errors are intentional and are there to show new and improved ways of spelling old words. Grammatical errors are due to too many English classes/teachers.
Old. Fat. Slow. Bad tempered. And those are my good points