BOGOF for Div 2,3 & 4 - Enter Kayak & Canadian for 1 fee

For
75%
Against
25%

Total votes: 16

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:27 pm

That the entry Fee page of the Yearbook be amended to include the following under Multi Class Entries and that all the wording used in Page 123 of the 2005 Yearbook be deleted:
Multi-Class Entries
For Divisions 2,3 & 4 only, one entry fee will cover the cost of two entries into the event per person. The entry fee payable being the higher of the two fees if they are in different divisions.

Proposed by Ormskirk Scouts CC and seconded by Bala CC
All spelling errors are intentional and are there to show new and improved ways of spelling old words. Grammatical errors are due to too many English classes/teachers.
Old. Fat. Slow. Bad tempered. And those are my good points

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:29 pm

:( So why should the club organising the event bear the full financial burdon of this? At least the previous rule split the cost between slalom committee funds and club funds.

Might be happier if there was no admin fee on any entry of this type.
All spelling errors are intentional and are there to show new and improved ways of spelling old words. Grammatical errors are due to too many English classes/teachers.

Geebs

Post by Geebs » Thu Nov 10, 2005 1:14 am

So what happens if it is a Div1/2 and someone is competing in KI Div1 and want's an entry in Div2 C1 or C2 Div2/3? does their entry for the Div 1 event cover them for the Div 2?

If this is the case then there should only be one levy paid to the slalom committee?
Paddle fast,,,Paddle safe Yorkshire Canoe Coaching

kanu.63

Post by kanu.63 » Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:28 pm

How come the levies are so high ? where does all that money go ? Lower levies = lower entry fees= a chance to enter more than one event on a weekend and spend more time on the water having fun ?

Pingu

Post by Pingu » Wed Nov 16, 2005 1:03 pm

I'm not now sure on this one.

When I first looked at it seemed spot on. I thought that it would relieve the administrative headache that the current multi-entry discount causes to Catharine, the (volunteer) Slalom Accounts Manager. One entry fee = One levy = Simplicity.

I had not considered the affect on the Club's income. I think that the original proposal last year was (mainly) to encourage paddlers who were already going to compete in K1 to have a go at C1/C2. As CP has said the discount is likely to have helped the organising clubs in attracting paddlers into these classes who otherwise might not entered. I can see the current proposal leading to increased entries but with no financial benefit to the organiser. In fact their costs might increase because of additional prizes required as a consequence of the higher entries.

It will be interesting to hear the rationale for the change from the clubs proposing it, when it is discussed at the ACM.
Out of Darkness cometh Light

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Wed Nov 16, 2005 1:52 pm

ps pingu, still problems for Catherine, working outr how many doubles there are, so not expecting the return to match the numberts on the results. . .

Club income will go down. e.g. My slalom, we encourage muliple entry, so often get them, each will bring less money if this goes through!

Applaud the sentiment, more bums on seats, BUT maybe needs more thought,

Broke

Post by Broke » Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:58 am

Our young paddler enters K1 & C1 and will be div 2 next year - if he enters both on a weekend that would be £25.50 minus £2 for the extra entry, but we have a daughter paddling as well so £36.25 for a weekend paddling. Times that by the number of events and I'll need a second job! Are we encouraging new C1 paddlers or out pricing them. :(

Anne

Post by Anne » Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:37 am

My understanding of this motion is to encourage more paddlers to take up canadian paddling or at the very least have a go, the feeling is that there would stll be the same income to clubs etc but more competiors would paddle in canadian classes. It may of course also work the other way, Canadian paddlers having a go at Kayak!

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Thu Nov 17, 2005 6:13 pm

Don't talk about cost, think of the few of us who do K1 and C1 at Div 1, a double double makes my eyes water!
But, broke is an example where the club would get less income. But have the same expenses.

jke

Post by jke » Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:47 pm

Canadian PAddler wrote::( So why should the club organising the event bear the full financial burdon of this? At least the previous rule split the cost between slalom committee funds and club funds.

Might be happier if there was no admin fee on any entry of this type.

This will only work if there is only a levy on the original entry and not on the second free entry, otherwise the club will lose out. We need to be careful that clubs don't end up making a loss.

Connected to club's financial burdon, there needs to be a look at prizes. It's nice to give out prizes, particularly to the younger age groups but maybe we are giving out too many or they are too elaborate. At our last event, one third of the entry fees went as levies and 40% went on prizes, leaving little for profit or kit replacement, and we have little other outgoings. I'm sure other clubs are similar.

Maybe the new committee looks at setting guide lines for prizes.
John Kent

Anne

Post by Anne » Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:51 pm

As only one fee will be charged there will only be one levy, you can't charge on something not paid! as for prizes it is up to the club as to what they present and how much they spend, I don't think anymore guidelines will be very practical. I am always on the look out for possible prizes and I know Jim Croft is the same!

jke

Post by jke » Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:28 pm

Thanks, it wasn't clear in this case whether the levy was on the entry or the fee.
John Kent

Trudi.

Post by Trudi. » Sun Nov 20, 2005 4:28 pm

What happens if the paddlers want to use the BOGOf for doing a "team event" do we let the whole team enter for Free or what? this comment has aready been brought up at our club. ???

Anne

Post by Anne » Sun Nov 20, 2005 5:38 pm

This initiative is to encourage individuals, particularly more participation in canadian classes, team events are not part of this.

gav

Post by gav » Mon Nov 21, 2005 4:41 pm

Free entry for a second class sounds a great idea. I compete K1 div 1 and C1 div2 but I only raced once all season in C1 as it is too expensive to do both. I know there are a lot of people in the same situation. Charge a couple of pounds if there is a risk of the club losing out, surely it's a simple solution?