Shepperton - Thanks and water levels

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
harry mugford

Post by harry mugford » Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:38 pm

Cheers to World Class for their help with Shepperton over the last year. They have helped with coach training, coaching (including club members as well as World Class Start paddlers), introducing a structured training programme, improving the gate system and advice on club management. Many other clubs use the facility and if anyone else wants to join in let us know. The best time to come is Monday, Wednesday or Thursday evenings 6 to 7.30. We have a weekly session planner that I’ll send you if interested and will update this post with water levels – it is still flat!!!!

In particular a huge thanks to John MacLeod who has come down to Shepperton - including last Sunday – and helped us improve the gate system. He has done a fantastic job. We can now adjust gates from the bank and from the water and have a complete set of lines covering the whole weir pool. It makes preparation for events SO much easier and helps a lot in training sessions. I think John is helping other clubs in this way too. Thank you John.

All we need now is water!!

Harry Mugford, Shepperton SCC junior rep.

VivienneM

Post by VivienneM » Sat Dec 03, 2005 1:56 pm

There's sods law - J and H went to HPP today and Shepperton has opened 2 gates!!! It is stomping through.
According to Steve, the lock keeper, it should be the same tomorrow but then change Monday.
The reservoires are only 75% full and still extracting water at full blast, but I gather a couple of pumps have broken leaving some water in the river.
So don't come rushing down from too far away - yet - they may fix the pumps!!
I'll update if I get word tomorrow.
:)

harry mugford

Post by harry mugford » Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:54 pm

It was on 4 gates on Sunday - amazing and surfable in a slalom boat - not recommended to surf the front wave except in an old boat, as you can break the bow.
3 gates today and probably good until Wednesday, according to local knowledge.

sporty dave

Post by sporty dave » Tue Dec 06, 2005 6:31 am

You can usually get an idea of the Thames water levels by looking at .www.thamesweirproject.co.uk . The Hurley level on there is usually updated every day during the season and there is a conversion table which shows how this level will effect the level at Shepperton