Judges could give coaching tips ? - One way to encourage attendance

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
katonas

Post by katonas » Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:10 pm

Many paddlers like myself don't have a coach, or a nearby slalom course to train on. Events can represent the only chance to improve/learn. It can be perplexing at times 'why I took so long'. Often gate judges are experienced paddlers who could write down some comments for paddlers as to how they could/should have negotiated different parts of a course. I'm always really grateful when someone gives me feedback on a run. Does anyone else think this is possible, or would also like this sort of help.

Nick Penfold

Post by Nick Penfold » Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:00 pm

Well, here's a starter for quite a few who were at Bala Mill on Sunday:
The sequence gates 5-6-7 was the most interesting on the course. But you had to get through 6 heading slightly right for 7, and the way to do that was to cut through the left side of the little haystack wave beween 5 and 6, and get a bit of a turn to the right there.
If you went the right side of the haystack you either missed gate 6 and were shot through through 7 with no chance of recovery, or you got 6 but got spat out to river left before 7.
In second runs a lot of paddlers were still drift-turning into 5 when they needed to push the turn. Clearly they hadn't worked out what was needed. But if you spent a bit of time on the bank above the section it was obvious.
Conclusion: study the water. Think about it. Watch what other paddlers do, and what happens as a result. Then try copying the approach that works.

katonas

Post by katonas » Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:02 pm

Thanks Nick, thats why I want to try to get to div1 to be forced to negotiate sequences as described. If coaches are offering this sort of advice why not have someone at each event to offer general tips to all paddlers between 1st and second runs? Individual feedback would be even better. :D