SLALOM DEVELOPMENT COURSES

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
Callum

Post by Callum » Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:48 pm

As a result of the failure our last effort at putting on a course that would appeal to those interested I have listened to some feedback and think that it may be better to ask generally those who know, what you would want from a slalom development course.
So here's your chance, let me know and I will see what we can come up with.
Just for starters here at Teesside we have access to superb University based Sport Science facilities, a man made slalom course and excellent natural river venues, topped off with superb local coaches.
Any thoughts are welcome.
Cheers, Callum.

Geebs

Post by Geebs » Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:20 pm

Callum, your last course looked very interesting, much of what you were offering is available to most paddlers through their club's but you did have some nice extra's.

But then you got down to the cost implications, the fee was to high for what you were offering.
Paddle fast,,,Paddle safe Yorkshire Canoe Coaching

Callum

Post by Callum » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:32 am

Thanks for the response Geebs, i am interested to know which bits were the interesting add on's. Was it the sport science sessions or the training options?
Cheers, Callum :D

Don Raspin

Post by Don Raspin » Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:22 pm

Callum,

I suggest that there is a need to develop a market for slalom again on Teesside ie. a group of youngsters who have mastered the basic skills of canoesports (Cross Stream) and have been motivated (along with their parents) to progress towards performance levels in the Olympic sports. I trust that the new Local Club Coach can work alongside local clubs to make progress in this direction. The establishment of school/club links would be a good starting point.
I am encouraged by your enthusiasm.
Best wishes, Don.

Dee

Post by Dee » Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:23 pm

Ah - if only more like this were available further South!
Kit Washer, Entry Clerk, Chauffeur, Reluctant Organiser, Online Entry Advocate .....
Anything I post under this user is my personal opinion; I am not posting as a member of the Slalom Committee!

surveyme

Post by surveyme » Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:11 am

Please make sure ANY course doesn't clash with a racing event - it seems SOME PEOPLE can't grasp the idea that that's going to ruin some clubs efforts!

Callum

Post by Callum » Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:06 am

Don, many thanks.
Dee, it may be worth looking at the Uni's down there as some might be doing something similar, and thanks.
Surveyme, please confirm if this is a poloite request, or a rant from past experience.
Cheers, Callum. :)

Geebs

Post by Geebs » Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:41 pm

Callum wrote:Thanks for the response Geebs, i am interested to know which bits were the interesting add on's. Was it the sport science sessions or the training options?
Cheers, Callum :D
The sports science was the interesting bit, the training options should be readily available to most paddlers.
Paddle fast,,,Paddle safe Yorkshire Canoe Coaching