The C Tate Show - Lauren dies in canoeing accident

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
jojo

Post by jojo » Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:27 pm

Hi all
As reported in The Sun today, Catherine Tate is planning to kill off her character Lauren in a canoeing.
Taken straight from The Sun Online on 10/12/07 " THIS is the moment gobby teen Lauren Cooper is killed in a CANOEING accident.
Catherine Tate’s terrible teen creation plunges to her death while shrieking “Am I bovvered” - but there’s still the chance writers could bring her back from the dead - just like real-life canoe faker John Darwin.
Schoolgirl Lauren, on a trip with classmates, is warned by a local as she paddles off.
But she teases: “Are you a yokel? Are you married to your sister, is your cousin your mum?” He tells her: “You are a very rude, ignorant young woman.”

Lauren swans off, refusing to listen, and plummets down a massive waterfall, screaming her catchphrase.

The Christmas special sketch then cuts to her pals standing by her grave, with its suitably worded headstone as P Diddy’s track Missing You plays in the background.

I can't help thinking this isn't going to help canoeings image or the Access campaign - don't know if there's anything we can do about it, but if you feel like emailing the BCU....

Don't get me wrong, I love Lauren, but this kind of publicity I think we could do without!

Kayakin Rosie!

Post by Kayakin Rosie! » Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:16 pm

Its only for a bit of fun

jojo

Post by jojo » Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:52 pm

Yes, you're right it is, and don't get me wrong I think Lauren's great, but when you think canoeing is still recovering from the aftermath of Lyme Regis and with all the current dubious press around Mr Darwin, we don't need this kind of publicity! Not to mention the Access campaign.

The BCU have spoken to the BBC today and have put a posting on the BCU website. They have also contacted Sport England and other stakeholders regarding the image that is being portrayed of canoeing.

Geebs

Post by Geebs » Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:28 pm

Well wasn't it exciting! I think that the way it was portrayed was right as there were no gory bits and you did not actually see anything happen to her after she went over the drop, for all people knew it could have been aimed at the John Darwin incident and all a farce.
Paddle fast,,,Paddle safe Yorkshire Canoe Coaching

phatboy

Post by phatboy » Sun Dec 30, 2007 12:23 pm

lol wot a palava for the minimalist piece of bad press in the sport!! haha o wel it was a great show!!
Phatty!

mwilk

Post by mwilk » Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:47 pm

I missed it, but it doesn't seem to have bovvered too many of us.

John Sturgess

Post by John Sturgess » Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:39 am

Amazing

All this about a brief moment on the Catherine Tate show

Yet a deafening silence when a ranked Junior Slalom paddler makes the final 10 at the BBC Junior Spots personality of the Year

And to add insult to injury - we demoted her to Div 2!

Dee

Post by Dee » Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:51 pm

Who? When? What? ...????
Kit Washer, Entry Clerk, Chauffeur, Reluctant Organiser, Online Entry Advocate .....
Anything I post under this user is my personal opinion; I am not posting as a member of the Slalom Committee!

John

Post by John » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:25 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/switch/yspoty/sandra-hyslop.shtml

Examples like this are a disgrace. Sandra Hyslop, a downriver racer, entered one div1 race last year and finished 12 (out of 32 entries) and was demoted for it.

Surely we should be welcoming people like Sandra for entering a slalom event and encouraging them to enter more in the future. Demoting her to div2 is effectively the same as saying "don't come again".

sandra

Post by sandra » Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:24 pm

You won't keep me away that easily!!
I really enjoy slalom, it's just hard to find the time alongside river racing and everything else in life.
I know it is my own fault for not showing up to enough races that I got demoted, but as a white water paddler most Div 2 courses seem a bit tame. However, reading other threads, I really cant suggest a better way for promotions/demotions without considering the case of each individual. So I think it's fair enough.
Sandra

Dee

Post by Dee » Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:32 pm

Such an attitude no doubt contributed to you reaching the top 10.

Congratulations for getting so far.

Perhaps we'll see you at the Shepperton div 2 - with current rainfall it won't be tame!
Kit Washer, Entry Clerk, Chauffeur, Reluctant Organiser, Online Entry Advocate .....
Anything I post under this user is my personal opinion; I am not posting as a member of the Slalom Committee!

katonas

Post by katonas » Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:21 am

John wrote:finished 12 (out of 32 entries) and was demoted for it.

Again another reason for a rule such as 500 points in 1 race, 800 in 2 or 900 in best 3 to allow you to avoid demotion.