Promotions

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
Kazz

Post by Kazz » Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:08 pm

A member of our club fed back the minutes of the recently held ACM, we were told that the motion suggesting a return to end of season promotion was withdrawn and in season promotion was to continue.
The bib numbers for next sesaon have been published and the committee have taken it upon themselves to promote a number of paddlers, 1 K1Woman has been promtoed from 2 to 1, 2 K1Women have been promoted from 3 to 2 and 5 K1Men have been promoted from 3 to 2, one of these was 225 points short of the 3300 target, what is the point of setting a target and then ignoring it. I am sure that I am not the only one who feels that if the target is not achieved then you don't get promoted plain and simple :( :( :(

Ken Trollope

Post by Ken Trollope » Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:43 pm

[A member of our club fed back the minutes of the recently held ACM]
How, as I have not published them yet.!!
Get your facts right first.
If it is not on fire, it might be a software problem.

Spiderman

Post by Spiderman » Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:11 am

I was at the ACM and can shed a little light on this I think. The promotion targets are the general rule. However, in order to get the numbers in each division about right, to effectively build a pyramid of divisions feeding the elite smaller Premier class, the Committee have the ability to assist with that "shaping". So it is not all about hitting targets but also about demonstrating that given the performance of all other paddlers, certain paddlers are worthy of promotion even if they have not hit the "ideal" targets. It seems it is not posible to devise a system where aceiving a fixed number of points will produce the pyramid effect required and desired for a well run divisional system. I do not, therefore, think that anyone should be overly concerned with the actions of the Committee in this respect which assist with the hierarchy of ability.
Peter Parker - 12 gate courses are plenty long enough!

Slow Paddler

Post by Slow Paddler » Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:56 am

One of our men has been promoted :)

One of our girls just missed out :(

Is this going to be communicated to paddlers that don't know they've been promoted? (I've told ours)

No one realised last year that one of our paddlers was promoted but didn't know. It was near the start of the season when we asked which div 1 races she was entering.

Having not trained over the winter for Div 1, she didn't enter a single race this season.

oldandslow

Post by oldandslow » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:26 pm

I presume they get promotion certificates just as they would for mid-season promotions... don't they?
Life is what happens when you're making other plans.

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:19 am

Before end of season was stopped, the only notification was a minute from the executive stating the promotion level, followed by a year book.
All spelling errors are intentional and are there to show new and improved ways of spelling old words. Grammatical errors are due to too many English classes/teachers.
Old. Fat. Slow. Bad tempered. And those are my good points

Nick Penfold

Post by Nick Penfold » Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:08 am

I've written to the K1Ms. I think the K1W compiler will write to the K1Ws.
We have a problem with the numbers getting promoted from K1M Div 3 to Div 2. Since the targets were changed 2 years ago, promotion has been quite slow. The numbers getting up from Div 2 to to Div 1 are about right, but the number coming up from Div 3 is only a little higher - and 3 to 2 promotions come late in the year so the numbers aren't there to race in Div 2 during the middle part of the season. Hence the additional promotions to get some balance.
The issue seems to be basing promotion on points from 4 races rather than 3, but oddly it hasn't hurt K1W promotions in the same way.