Women - Canadian

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
Dadstaxi

Post by Dadstaxi » Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:31 am

Not quite on the C1W topic but following their win at Bala at the weekend it appears that there is now the 1st (?) all lady C2W crew in Prem/Div1. :D

Mark Shaw

Post by Mark Shaw » Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:47 am

The ICF rule changes being put forward do allow for the possibility of a C2W class as well as C1W. It would be interesting to see how many nations could supply C2W crews though if someone was brave enough to include it in a race schedule.
The above is the personal opinion of Mark Shaw and does not reflect the views of either the BCU or England Slalom Committees.

c2canoeslalom

Post by c2canoeslalom » Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:48 pm

Don't think they are the first....I believe that Helen Brooks and Emily Clapham of Salisbury made P/1 C2 in 2004 or there abouts. Congratulations on promotion and bring on C2W!!!!
RESIST OR SERVE

Geebs

Post by Geebs » Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:41 pm

Just found this lurking on the ICF website

4. C1W in the World Championships

PARTICIPATION

Rule Change: 41.2

In order to advance gender equity in the sport of slalom, as a first step, C1W will be added to the World Championship Program in 2010. Female Athletes will be able to compete in both K1W and C1W so as not to dilute the existing participation. Furthermore, it is hoped that the addition of a class will allow attract more Female Athletes at the National and International level.

The rest of the changes can be seen here http://www.canoeicf.com/site....ion.pdf

Cheers Graeme
Paddle fast,,,Paddle safe Yorkshire Canoe Coaching

Geebs

Post by Geebs » Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:34 am

Now that the classes have been formed, is the current points calculations actually working out fair?

1. Against the K1 men, is the % right?
2. Overall, how can two paddlers end up with the same point's from the same race for 1st and 2nd? Surely the winner of the class should have more points?

Cheers Graeme
Paddle fast,,,Paddle safe Yorkshire Canoe Coaching

chauffeur

Post by chauffeur » Tue May 05, 2009 7:58 am

Did C1W paddle in selection this weekend? Every other result went up on the World Class site on Sunday evening!!

davebrads

Post by davebrads » Tue May 05, 2009 8:49 am

They were on the results last night at least.

Munchkin

Post by Munchkin » Tue May 05, 2009 10:14 pm

Looking at the results and in answer to Geebs original question I think there are a few more women venturing into C1 which can only be a good thing.

I think that the multiplyer for points needs to be reconsidered though. At too many C1W events the C1W have had times that differ by a long way (over 50 seconds in some) and have ended up with the same number of points. That cant be right!

chauffeur

Post by chauffeur » Wed May 06, 2009 1:50 pm

Munchkin wrote:I think that the multiplyer for points needs to be reconsidered though. At too many C1W events the C1W have had times that differ by a long way (over 50 seconds in some) and have ended up with the same number of points. That cant be right!

I am inclined to agree - it happens most at the top end of each prem/1and 2/3 i.e. against the prem paddlers and the div 2 paddlers.

C2 is dividing by 1.2 . C1W is 1.08 - there are two beefy men in C2!

Performance standards for seniors are K1M 108%, C1M 116%, WK1 130%, C2 126%.(pg 35 of yearbook)
So C1 get an extra 8 % on the men K1.
Working on that how about women get and extra 8% on K1W = then to 138%

I am not a stats person but surely a divider could be worked out on that basis?

Munchkin

Post by Munchkin » Wed May 06, 2009 1:58 pm

That actually makes a lot of sense! When I have a chance I will see if it would make a lot of differnce to the results, I suspect it might. It may even make it a bit more likely that there will be more than 3 women in P/1 by the end of the year!

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Wed May 06, 2009 2:17 pm

The original percentage was set up based on the figures for last year, teh low multiplier went with a low points total for promotion, the idea being that in these early days any really good paddlers could get promoted pretty quickly.
No one is perfect and I may have got this wrong :( feel free to recalculate and make a proposal to this years ACM. I suggest that you look at both promotion level and percentage, for example munchkin, do you want to need to paddel on prem courses, or are you happy in div 2/3?

More women in prem/1 will be great IF they are comfortable there. I have heard rumours of one lady (sorry woman) dropping out already, with the scuttlebut being that she was worried about the water. THIS IS RUMOUR AND PROBABLY WRONG, but does the class's image no good.
All spelling errors are intentional and are there to show new and improved ways of spelling old words. Grammatical errors are due to too many English classes/teachers.
Old. Fat. Slow. Bad tempered. And those are my good points

Munchkin

Post by Munchkin » Wed May 06, 2009 2:30 pm

Ha, ha, ha! Me in division P/1 in the C1?!? It is taking me long enough to get there in the K1!
You are right, there does need to a a careful balance but there also needs to be a reward for the winner/ those who paddle faster! If the multiplier goes up maybe the points should also fall in line with the other classes?

The first year was always going to be hard to judge, but I guess discussions on tweaking need to happen before the ACM!

Ps I have not even entered the C1 this year, too focused on desperately trying to his Division 1 in the K1 first :-/

* Naomi *

Post by * Naomi * » Wed May 06, 2009 2:41 pm

I would agree that next year the points system for C1 women should be addressed, it does seem crazy that two competitors whose times are so far apart can have the same points.
But as its the first year with this class it was always going to have some flaws. Once there are more girls/women competing in the class we will have more of an idea of how the points should be worked out. Its difficult for people to set the percentages when the amount of women competing is so low. It was never going to be perfect in its first year, I think its good that we have this class, and hopefully next year the points can be adapted by looking at performances this year.

chauffeur

Post by chauffeur » Wed May 06, 2009 4:29 pm

Canadian PAddler wrote:No one is perfect and I may have got this wrong :( feel free to recalculate and make a proposal to this years ACM.
Sorry I wasn't having a go at you - I know you put time in, much appreciated - it helped get the class off the ground. It was just after listening to what some paddlers are saying and chatting in general I think we probably need to rethink the divider. The % I put up were just a talking point that had been pointed out to me.

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Wed May 06, 2009 6:34 pm

I did not take it as 'a go', and as said anything is better than nothing, and until we get a reasonable number of paddlers there will be strange things happening.

I have not looked at this years results, yet, and was really hoping someone else would volunteer before I feel duty bound to crunch the numbers to try to get better competion next year for one of the two classes I cannot paddle.

Yes I know I have been said to paddle 'like a girly' but that is an insult to me, not a slight on the fairer sex. besides too many people would recognise me for me to get away with paddling in drag.

So anyone willing to/already crunching numbers and willing to share teh results/make proposals? We do need to discuss before the ACM motions close
All spelling errors are intentional and are there to show new and improved ways of spelling old words. Grammatical errors are due to too many English classes/teachers.
Old. Fat. Slow. Bad tempered. And those are my good points