Rubbish - Whats it all about

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
djberriman

Post by djberriman » Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:35 am

I regularly feel saddened at slaloms when I see discarded food and drink containers most of which appears attributable to paddlers.

Not only does it reflect badly on us generally as paddlers but it gives those who would not wish us on the water every excuse they need to stop our access. It also pollutes the very environment we paddle in and around.

It was summed up at the weekend when on returning to my van the car parked next to me had left numerous bits of litter on the floor including empty food trays.

Organisers have enough to do without clearing up after paddlers. Bins are provided, if they are full mention it to the organiser, if you can't find one take your litter home.

If you take a drink to start, pick it up on your return from your run.

Come on guys and gals lets not ruin our own environment and risk losing some venues.

Fairweather Paddler

Post by Fairweather Paddler » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:32 pm

djberriman wrote:I regularly feel saddened at slaloms when I see discarded food and drink containers most of which appears attributable to paddlers.

Unfortunately this not only occurs at slaloms. I know at the end of other events, (paddling and non paddling) which I have run - litter picking is a massive job. :angry:
Perhaps this is why people don't want to volunteer to run events!

oldandslow

Post by oldandslow » Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:59 pm

In paddlers defence... at Matlock we hired a van which supplied only biodegradable packaging. When clearing up, I could hold in one hand the rubbish from our van, but had an armful of chip wrappers from the other MB visitors.
Life is what happens when you're making other plans.

jim croft

Post by jim croft » Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:51 pm

??? At the Cardington events we have plenty of black sacks we hand out & at the Inter Clubs we have a skip - we have been complemented on how clean & tydy we leave the park by park users and the Wardens, I am sure if you ask your local council they will supply you bin bags.
Jim

djberriman

Post by djberriman » Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:58 pm

If people drop it on the floor under the car, its hardly bin bags that are the problem!

I would just like to raise the issue and ask people to use the bins provided.

We never have a complaint after the event as (like all events) we do a litter sweep. But it would be a lot easier/quicker if people used the bins provided!