Smoking courseside

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
Fairweather Paddler

Post by Fairweather Paddler » Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:32 pm

Two years ago tomorrow England banned smoking in public enclosed or substantially enclosed premises and vehicles.

This was a dilution of the original health bill which had suggested prohibition of smoking in public premises, places and vehicles.

Today the EU has been debating and voting on a bill which would see the ban extended to pub beer gardens, concerts and similar public events.

So my question is given that Slalom attracts 'athletes' and young people should we not discourage smoking courseside prior to being forced by law?

80-1219672301

Post by 80-1219672301 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:11 pm

Couldn't agree with you more!

While I support peoples' choice to smoke or not as a spectator I do not enjoy being surrounded by cigarette/cigar smoke and as you say it sends out the wrong signals to young athletes.

So keeping the habit off course side would be my favourite

frontman

Post by frontman » Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:38 pm

Some years ago I remember racing at Grandtully and a well know coach who smokes was riverside. I was racing and came into an upstream river right and took a lungfull of smoke halfway down my run. I would have thought that that particular coach would have known better.

davebrads

Post by davebrads » Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:38 pm

Paddlemum wrote:cigar smoke

I wonder why cigar smoke got a mention, not thinking of anyone in particular. ???

While not having any symapthy for smokers, and very much in favour of the laws outlawing smoking in public buildings, I think that the legislation has already gone further than strictly necessary for the protection of the non-smoking public.

Maybe you're considering that youngsters may be tempted to smoke by following role models? I can only think of three people regularly seen smoking at slalom races, and I can't see any of them being the kind of person the youth would aspire to be.

80-1219672301

Post by 80-1219672301 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:47 pm

Well maybe you have a point :D BUT .. in general terms is it right to smoke right on top of an athletic event?

The last post demonstrates how unpleasant it potentially can be - surely its not that hard to take yourself away from the course to have a fag break?

Just suggesting that maybe it's not the greatest of things to be doing while right on the side of the course where arguably there is the highest concentration of people both on and off the water.

Seedy Paddler

Post by Seedy Paddler » Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:52 pm

There is an underlying problem with the Anti-smoking campaigns.

1/ Human behaviour is to rail against what are perceived at unfair controls on personal choices
2/ We have atendedncy to react to the subliminal message an not the actual message!

So under #1 we react badly to what may be regarded as unjust controls - the clearest example of this is the great urban myth surrounding the EUs attempts to require straight bananas etc. The actual legislation was an attempt to establish minimum standards for consumer delivery. It was based on the supply of goods that made for consistent delivery efficient packing and optimum quality. However it was raised as too much interference and perverted by the media. We run the risk that by restricting smoking, drinking and eating habits - we will counter the argument to prove that we can make our own decisions!

With #2 the message may be "No Smoking" but the bit that remains in our brain is "Smoking", similalry "Don't Smoke" becomes "Smoke". So it may be that we need to chage the campaign and promote the healthy beneficial activities rather than try to proscribe the unhealthy.

One issue that I have been considering (and perhaps someone in the know can clarify), there are several campaigns ongoing within sport (particularly football) that involve Health Screening. Football has picked up and prioritised after recent untimely deaths including Marc Vivien Foe; Davie Cooper & Phil O'Donnell, there are now plans inplace to screen all young players. Should we be looking at something similar that all young squad paddlers are subjected to health screening then given positive advice on how to improve health and fuitness through diet and exercise. Maybe shift the message to a positive one of support from the sport and the Governing Bodies rather than a negative interference on life choices!

Cigar smoke - can't think who you could mean ???

80-1219672301

Post by 80-1219672301 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:53 pm

Not actually asking folk to stop smoking !

Just asking them not to do it on the side of a slalom course!

It's not nice!

Kazz

Post by Kazz » Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:53 pm

??? Ummmm It's not nice to hear people swearing both on and off the water, it's not nice to hear parents screaming abuse (or is that encouragement!!) at their children!! How far do we go??, I am in no way in favour of smoking however as all slaloms take place outdoors we are never going to be subject to second hand smoke in an enclosed environment, if someone smokes beside you there is a very easy solution, move away!!!

Munchkin

Post by Munchkin » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:40 pm

I am not sure how you can "ban" smoking from the courseside when the majority of slaloms are held in public venues. You can't stop passers by from smoking.

To be honest smoking in the open air is far less offensive than bad attitude shown by paddlers and supporters.

Geebs

Post by Geebs » Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:35 am

Well perhaps the course side officials of the event, sector, gate judges and coaches etc could set an example on the no smoking aspect also lighting up could be a distraction at a critical moment of watching a paddler? Mind you so can people trying to hold a conversation and distracting the judge?

As a smoker I try not to smoke when alongside the course as I know how distracting it can be to an athlete taking a breath between strokes!

As for swearing and foul language it is an excludable offence! and one that has been actioned on in the past, this does not just relate to slalom, it is preeminent in every discipline!
Paddle fast,,,Paddle safe Yorkshire Canoe Coaching

80-1219672301

Post by 80-1219672301 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:31 pm

<< ... if someone smokes beside you there is a very easy solution, move away!!! >>

I'm sorry but why should I move away? I don't go and stand by folk who are smoking, so if someone lights up next to me just why I should move I'm not sure -

I agree there are a lot of things that happen at the side of slalom courses (and indeed at the sides of pitches and pools infact at any sporting event) that really should not happen and often those concerned are asked to move away - so why not smokers?? We're not asking them to stop just move away while smoking.

I myself am an ex-smoker (I can just hear the "ah yes that explains it" :-) ) and admit that I may be more sensitive to smoke than others but when I did smoke there is no way I would smoke next to a sporting event, I would take myself away.

Smokers can choose whether they smoke or not - bystanders cannot choose whether someone lights up beside them.

It's just a point of view !

Kazz

Post by Kazz » Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:41 pm

??? So Paddlemum if the person smoking is a friend would you ask them to either refrain from smoking or ask them to move away, likewise if its a coach who is coaching your child would you 'put up and shut up' or ask them to stop?
With regard to officals smoking I'm sure that nobody would smoke whilst carrying out their offical duties. I have never sucuum to the wicked weed and therefore lack insight into its addictive qualities. I would choose not to inhale second hand smoke and I don't think that any sporting venue is an appropriate place to smoke, I also agree that adults should set an example to the younger generation and that those who hold a position of authority should not smoke whilst going about their offical duties (especially if funded by us taxpayers!), that said I would not find it offensive for someone to smoke close to me and as previosuly stated would simply move away.

It's just my point of view !

Fairweather Paddler

Post by Fairweather Paddler » Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:22 am

Kazz wrote:With regard to officals smoking I'm sure that nobody would smoke whilst carrying out their offical duties.

Perhaps you should look a little closer at the next event you attend.

On the subject of moving away - there may be a good reason why you need to be in the position you are in and can not move away e.g. judging, providing safety cover etc. Why then as someone who is already putting themselves out and volunteering to help, should you be subjected to other peoples secondhand smoke?

80-1219672301

Post by 80-1219672301 » Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:12 am

As a last post on this subject

Yep my friends who smoke understand that I don't and generally don't smoke around me - if they forget I politely ask them not to.

Happily our coach doesn't smoke but I have in the past politely asked other coaches who have smoked by me on a course if they could stand down wind and again they have been very obliging.

In general terms I have always found the majority of smokers to be very courteous about not smoking around those who don't. Those who are not, are in the minority.

The major influence in my giving up smoking was the general unacceptability of the habit to others. I knew that smoking was bad for me, I knew that it was an expensive habit, I knew that it potentially affected those around me - even though I didn't smoke near non smokers - because the chemicals were on my clothes in my hair etc etc.

Nictoine is one the most addictive substances there is (clinical trials suggest it is more addictive than heroin) so any incentives even if they are prohibition measures I feel help.

This is one area where I feel intervention helps - I know that the voicing of others about smoking being unacceptable worked for me.

Seedy Paddler

Post by Seedy Paddler » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:34 pm

Many others may have noticed that Paddlemum has dropped off the Board.

Unfortunately she found the response of being told to "just move away" offensive. I would re-iterate that I firmly believe that everyone has the right to fresh air if you want to poison yourself then please do the moving so that you don't impact on others.

That said Paddlemum brought some valid points and observations from outside the immediate enclave of paddling sport within the UK. The objective of my post is more to say please come back, rather than further discuss the wrongs and wrongs of the dreaded weed.

Everyone has the right to their opinion and everyone should be treated with respect. So even if I disagree with Paddlemum I am willing to defend her right to have her opinion.

Paddlemum - Please sign back on! :p

CD