Llangollen Prem/Div 1 Cancelled

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
Geebs

Post by Geebs » Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:23 pm

Dee wrote:
this is why HPP, Tryweryn and Washburn should be favoured for events of this calibre, 99% guaranteed

Except that I seem to remember that Washburn was cancelled last year because of too much water........
Yep, but this was the first time for years, the Tees Prem the other week was cancelled after one run for too much water as was HPP earlier in the year due to adverse weather, seem to remember Shepperton has had it's share of problems as well.

The rain that was forecast for this week in North Wales seems to now not be coming so not much chance of too much water on the Dee for the weekend :(

Perhaps a change of venue should be discussed sooner rather than later before more people loose any more money on cancelled accommodation etc?
Paddle fast,,,Paddle safe Yorkshire Canoe Coaching

Kazz

Post by Kazz » Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:45 pm

i agree with Geebs surely the committee can look at alternatives available rather than cancel as biker01 has pointed out hpp was/is provisionally booked for both weekends why wasnt it moved there ??? ???
we need to know sooner than thursday if its probable that the rain aint going to make it slalom costs enough as it is without having to pay out for nothing :(

jjayes

Post by jjayes » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:06 pm

I was a bit surprised that last weeks Llangollen event was cancelled as the level on the town looked ok.

It is a bit subjective as to what levels the race should take place on, having been around and paddled the town falls a few times, I know we have run races below the river level last of weekend and we have also had some great events on high levels which would now see the event cancelled on safety grounds. The nanny state and liability fears are partially responsible for this though, I always wondered if they would also cancel those high water events on the continent, especially when you think of some international race sites, testing is a word that comes to mind.

It is mainly a matter of where the gates are placed as to how challenging, navigable and safe the course is and having a good safety team in place as a backstop.

I think it would be better to have a low water race than no race next weekend, especially as it is the last major event of the season.

We do have access to a water level gauge on the Dee, just follow the following link. River Dee Llangollen levels...... or find us on Facebook under White Water Active as we post the river levels every morning.

[URL=http://www.whitewateractive.co.uk/index ... See&id=135]My

On a side note, we have now revamped the slalom gates at Mile End Mill in preparation for what we hope will be some high water training this winter, fingers crossed!!! If anybody wants a training partner for a session or two this winter, let me know. Jim.

Dee

Post by Dee » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:53 pm

the Tees Prem the other week was cancelled after one run for too much water as was HPP earlier in the year due to adverse weather, seem to remember Shepperton has had it's share of problems as well

Entirely agree Geebs. I wasn't intending to get at the Washburn, rather just saying that no venue is truly safe from cancellation - not even 99%. Short of creating an indoor course in a swimming pool environment I don't think it's possible.
Kit Washer, Entry Clerk, Chauffeur, Reluctant Organiser, Online Entry Advocate .....
Anything I post under this user is my personal opinion; I am not posting as a member of the Slalom Committee!

Geebs

Post by Geebs » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:02 pm

Thanks for the info Jim and your valued opinion, dialled your River Line and it says low at the moment Level 1? which is not ideal conditions for an event of this level at the weekend.

In your honest opinion (forgetting that you are a joint sponsor which is appreciated) as being on the doorstep so to speak, can you say that with the small amount of rain that is forecast will make significant difference to the river levels before the weekend and make the event viable at Llangollen?

As to no race at all, there appears to be an option to move it to HPP and I am sure from conversations I have had that there would be more entries if it was moved, especially if it could accommodate the cancelled Div1?

I think that to cancel the event on Thursday (if it needs to be) would not go down well with the foreign entrants as well as with our own paddlers, perhaps an earlier decision should be reached?

jjayes

Post by jjayes » Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:50 am

This is the weather forcast for the next few days in Llangollen.

It is raining now. I think the river will rise. The ground is already wet from rain we had a week ago. The river rose to 9 on our gauge at the mill and stayed high for 3 days.

Last updated: Tuesday 20th October at 08:37 BST

10:00

Light Rain
Temp: 9°C 48°F
13:00

Heavy Rain
Temp: 9°C 48°F
16:00

Heavy Rain
Temp: 10°C 50°F
Sunset: 18:04
19:00

Partly Cloudy
Temp: 11°C 52°F
Show Wind, humidity, pressure and visibility for the next 12 hours
Show weather for the Following 12 hours
22:00

White Cloud
01:00 (Wed)

Light Rain
04:00 (Wed)

White Cloud
07:00 (Wed)

Light Rain
Sunrise: 07:50
Show Wind, humidity, pressure and visibility for the following 12 hours

Wednesday day weather
Heavy Rain
Max: 14°C 57°F
Sunrise: 07:50

Thursday day weather
Sunny Intervals
Max: 14°C 57°F
Sunrise: 07:52

Friday day weather
Sunny Intervals
Max: 15°C 59°F
Sunrise: 07:54

Saturday day weather
Heavy Rain Shower
Max: 15°C 59°F
Sunrise: 07:56

Check out water levels at the Mill, using our computerized gauge.

http://www.whitewateractive.co.uk/Speci ... id135.html

Bus Driver

Post by Bus Driver » Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:20 pm

"BREAKING NEWS"

Anne H has just been heard to say while dripping on the carpet of the first aid hut "I am so happy it is raining hard".

Ken T has been dispatched with a 12"ruler, waders and a sowester to measure water levels........

We havent cracked up yet but dehydration is kicking in and is believed to be a factor.......

Watch this space!!

Geebs

Post by Geebs » Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:40 pm

Bus Driver wrote:Ken T has been dispatched with a 12"ruler, waders and a sowester to measure water levels........
I hope you are going to post some pictures :D

Fingers crossed :;):

oldschool

Post by oldschool » Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:11 pm

Dee wrote:Short of creating an indoor course in a swimming pool environment I don't think it's possible.

Now that sounds like a plan!

Kazz

Post by Kazz » Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:53 am

info and start list published :D
confused about numbers goin thro are they taking top 20 from each class which would mean all C2 and almost all C1, more than two thirds of K1W and just over one third of K1M ??? and if you have world ranking do you get to the final no matter how good/bad you paddled ???

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:39 am

This weekend is an internationla, and so will be run under ICF rules, as it says in the start list. These state (41.3.2) that 20 boats from each class go to the semis. So yes small classes all boats go through.
The rules also say top 10 to the final, so that will be the number in the final (http://www.canoeicf.com/site/canoeint/i ... slalom.pdf)

World ranking makes no difference, it is the top 20/10 regardless of who you are and how you paddle, If campbell is 21st he does not make the semi. (Sorry to pick on you Campbell).
All spelling errors are intentional and are there to show new and improved ways of spelling old words. Grammatical errors are due to too many English classes/teachers.
Old. Fat. Slow. Bad tempered. And those are my good points

Mark Shaw

Post by Mark Shaw » Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:14 am

I've interpreted the notes on the start list slightly differently CP.

It states 20/10 boats to go through PLUS any ICF World Ranking Series boats that are outside this.

As the ICF numbers are low in all classes then I think this guarantees that all ICF entered boats will get to the final.

All UK boats outside the top 6 ICF boats are effectively in a separate race for the British Open and Prem points. This isn't allowed to affect the results of the ICF race.

I think I've interpreted that correctly. In which case, picking on Campbell again, if he was 21st he would get to race on the Sunday, but his Prem points would be based on his qualification result.
The above is the personal opinion of Mark Shaw and does not reflect the views of either the BCU or England Slalom Committees.

Bus Driver

Post by Bus Driver » Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:49 am

What Mark has said here is 100% correct, the reason for the complication is that we are, in effect, running 3 different races at the same time and due to the low numbers of World Ranking paddlers entered then all will go through as per ICF rules.

If its confusing to you guys, think what a headache it is to try to co-ordinate it all.

Keep praying for rain

Soggy of Llangollen

jjayes

Post by jjayes » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:13 am

We had a good night of rain in north wales, water level on the Dee at the Mill now is on 5 and still rising and more rain to come later.

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:37 am

OK teach me not to read the start list properly, 20 plus world ranking and 10 plus world ranking. Sorry if I added to the confusion!
All spelling errors are intentional and are there to show new and improved ways of spelling old words. Grammatical errors are due to too many English classes/teachers.
Old. Fat. Slow. Bad tempered. And those are my good points