Llangollen Prem/Div 1 Cancelled

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
Richie

Post by Richie » Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:56 am

Just trying to get the news out there as quickly as possible, unfortunately the Prem/1 this weekend in Llangollen has been cancelled due to low water levels.
It has not been confirmed yet, but there is a possibility that the Prem (not the Div 1) could be moved to run alongside the British Open next weekend.
More information to follow when the top dogs can get to an internet connection.......

Nick Penfold

Post by Nick Penfold » Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:00 pm

Ken Trollope confirms:

Town Falls Prem/1 Cancelled

The event this weekend is cancelled because there is no water in the Dee.
Rain is forecast for next week so we hope the British Open can go ahead and the British Open will be a Championship Format ranking Prem event as well. The Div 1 race is definitely cancelled.
There will be a review on Thursday to confirm that the British Open and Prem races are on. Please watch this space!
Please tell your friends before they set off!

Kate

Post by Kate » Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:51 pm

Shame to hear the race is cancelled, but thanks for getting the message out - I just got it before I set off!

For those of us in Prem who weren't planning on comming to the British Open - are this weekends entries being transferred to next weekend, or do we need to get an entry in quickly for next weekend?

GlennRoberts

Post by GlennRoberts » Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:15 pm

Some Div 1 paddlers who were hoping to get promotion this weekend will be devastated; this includes my son.

After two years non-stop training and competition, achieving Prem was a major goal for his future development. For those affected, this is not the best way to start winter training.

I appreciate the importance of supporting the Prem, but those that organise events should not forget that lower division races can matter a lot to other people too.

biker01

Post by biker01 » Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:20 pm

I agree with Glen, is it not possible to run both the prem and div 1 next weekend ?

Kazz

Post by Kazz » Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:53 pm

i agree that it is very sad that the event has been cancelled, well done for getting the word out quickly, i can see why some of higher ranked div ones might not be happy but you cant rely on the last race of the season to get promoted there are only nine prem races in the calender compared with 17 div 1s and it would be great if the prem race could run next weekend

Nick Penfold

Post by Nick Penfold » Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:33 pm

Kate, and other Prems to whom this applies: email Ken Trollope canoeken@hotmail.com if you want your entry to be carried forward to next weekend.

PeterC

Post by PeterC » Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:44 pm

Maybe discretion on the part of the Slalom Committee will apply and as at least one of the Div 1's would have got promoted this weekend maybe they will give benefit of the doubt as they already have this season in K1W and given points for a run that were not achieved resulting in promotion. They do have discretion in respect of end of season promotion.

Geebs

Post by Geebs » Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:39 pm

PeterC wrote:Maybe discretion on the part of the Slalom Committee will apply and as at least one of the Div 1's would have got promoted this weekend maybe they will give benefit of the doubt as they already have this season in K1W and given points for a run that were not achieved resulting in promotion. They do have discretion in respect of end of season promotion.

Peter, if that was the K1W results from Tully you are referring to, then different circumstances apply the competitor did actually race!

You cannot expect to be awarded points if you don't turn up for a race or the race is cancelled, the opportunity exists for the following weekend if you are a Prem paddler (if the race goes ahead, if it rains enough, if there is any water), but it does not help out the Div1's that have now lost a race.

This is the joys of holding events on natural rivers, personally when it comes to events like this, although natural rivers would be my first choice it is not feasible to guarantee they will run, this is why HPP, Tryweryn and Washburn should be favoured for events of this calibre, 99% guaranteed!
Paddle fast,,,Paddle safe Yorkshire Canoe Coaching

Kazz

Post by Kazz » Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:50 pm

im not sure why the race wasnt moved to bala as they had a release are the committee going to think about options of moving to either bala or is hpp available if the river doesnt come up not much rain forecast and it looks like its going to be dry from wed onwards dont fancy paying for two lots of accomodation that i dont need lost a £50 deposit this weekend :(

Geebs

Post by Geebs » Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:35 pm

Kazz wrote:,,,not much rain forecast and it looks like its going to be dry from wed onwards dont fancy paying for two lots of accomodation that i dont need lost a £50 deposit this weekend :(

Well the Forecast I have looked at is a bit more promising heavy rain on Wednesday night into Thursday morning, but it does run off fairly quickly in that area and with no rain during Thursday or Friday and with no significant rain in the past weeks the ground will soak a lot of it up.

I would hazard a guess that the levels will be low from my personal experience paddling rivers in Wales for many years, unless of course the forecast is wrong and it rains heavily all week! Fingers crossed and rain dance time :;):
Paddle fast,,,Paddle safe Yorkshire Canoe Coaching

Anne

Post by Anne » Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:02 am

Bala only open Sat - not Sun! otheriwise would have considered!

Dee

Post by Dee » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:01 pm

this is why HPP, Tryweryn and Washburn should be favoured for events of this calibre, 99% guaranteed

Except that I seem to remember that Washburn was cancelled last year because of too much water........
Kit Washer, Entry Clerk, Chauffeur, Reluctant Organiser, Online Entry Advocate .....
Anything I post under this user is my personal opinion; I am not posting as a member of the Slalom Committee!

biker01

Post by biker01 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:30 pm

I note from the HPP slalom calendar that there was a provisional booking should there be an issue with the Town Fall races.

http://www.nwscnotts.com/assets/pdf/Sla ... nts-09.pdf

Anyone know why HPP wasn't used instead ?

boatmum

Post by boatmum » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:34 pm

Does this mean that if there is a problem for next weekend at The Open/Prem in Llangollen it will be moved to HPP?

If this is the case then it would be really good to know ASAP to avoid loss of more accommodation deposits etc and to be able to make alternative bookings

Thanks