ACM Motion - Demotions

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
Dee

Post by Dee » Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:05 pm

....and David had 923, stayed up, and has spent all year missing those that went down and that he used to beat at least some of the time. :( He is very sad that town falls is cancelled as he was relying on a top score there to retain a place in div 1 :laugh:

Keeping the right people in the right position in the right division is an impossible art. Not helped by the fact that some people improve over the winter whilst some get older, slower and well...........

I think the idea of baseing positions/divisions on one or two runs of occasional racers is crazy. Maybe they just chose to go to that race because it was on their home water and on any other race they would have got half (or less) of the points.
Kit Washer, Entry Clerk, Chauffeur, Reluctant Organiser, Online Entry Advocate .....
Anything I post under this user is my personal opinion; I am not posting as a member of the Slalom Committee!

oldandslow

Post by oldandslow » Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:36 pm

[quote="Nick Penfold"]Sorry, this is a proposal to give a special deal to people who rarely paddle, ultimately at the expense of the regulars.

And by demoting them, they mess up the promotion chances of the committed paddlers in the division below. Perhaps they just shouldn't be ranked at all if they have done less than 5 (Prem/1) or 4 (2/3) races. And have to apply for reranking when they next want to paddle. Would that solve the dilemma?
Life is what happens when you're making other plans.

oldandslow

Post by oldandslow » Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:39 pm

Helen Barnes in div 1, Julie Bright in div 2... it's just silly!
Life is what happens when you're making other plans.

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:33 am

Hm sounds like all the arguments that resulted in the veterans division being established way back when. It took ages for a certian Mr Bradshaw (not Dave) to get his popint across. Rather than messing with the current divisional system in a piecemeal fashion, the vets division could be extended fro those who are not old enough.

Father Christmas keeps talking about a root and branch review of the divsional system in this country, perhaps he/a club would like to propose a motion, or a working party to try look at this 'in a holistic fashion', and come up with an alternative that will provide such opportunities, whilst not killing lower division sites, and allows slaloms to be run on bigger water without the danger of serious slalom paddlers being impeded by slwo big water paddlers. Whether I agree with John or not, a proper review seems better than tinkering to me.
All spelling errors are intentional and are there to show new and improved ways of spelling old words. Grammatical errors are due to too many English classes/teachers.
Old. Fat. Slow. Bad tempered. And those are my good points

Nicky

Post by Nicky » Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:41 am

I think that the process for reranking works fine.

If you are only able to race at 1 race in a season, aply to John, keep yourself their. If you can only make one of the races in a season, there is no point you being in that division for that year.

I don't want to be in prem if people only race at 1 race each and hope to get good enough points. Helen Barnes in div 1, well if she's not got enough points she need to apply for re ranking, or get her self back up, 3 races is all it will take...

I don't think that in this regard canoe slalom needs to change, I think we've got it covered...

Nicky