HPP

Discuss past and future events
beeble

Post by beeble » Mon Jun 14, 2004 1:12 pm

Can't believe the number of 50's dished out at the event yesterday (Sunday). I can't remember ever seeing so many people miss gates as I did at the weekend.
I realise that the courses have to be testing, but is there not an arguement that it was just too difficult yesterday. How many times have you seen so many people just accept the penalty on gate 16 without even attempting it, or if they did go on to miss 17 and sometimes even 18?

I have to admit that I have never quite got to grips with the water at HPP, so am used to getting the penalties. I can never get my lines right and am constantly finding myself off balance, whereas on natural river courses I am okay (still slow but not as many penalties).

c2canoeslalom

Post by c2canoeslalom » Mon Jun 14, 2004 5:12 pm

The course was indeed a tough one, but I thought was one of the best I've seen at Nottingham for a while. It made a change to have some unconventional moves (Gate 12!!!!!) and to finish below the washing machine. Not seen a course last longer than 100 seconds for the Prem men for I don't know how long.
Although it was a difficult course I thoroughly enjoyed paddling it. I would agree though it was very testing, as the comment would suggest the number of 50's and people not even attempting gate 16. Doesn't the rules state that you must attempt every gate or you'll be disqualified?
What did everone think to Neil Buckley's first run time in his Double Dutch Paradox? He managed to take 3 seconds out of the rest of the field in his short boat, even with the long open sections of the course. Very impressive!
RESIST OR SERVE

markus proctorus

Post by markus proctorus » Tue Jun 15, 2004 9:15 am

i thought the course was amazing!! it was diffrent an even though i got a 50 on both runs (gate 16 an gate 6) i still enjoyed the race and i'm sure alot more people did even though they got 50's to!!so people shud stop moaning about the course(this is before they've paddled it) an deal with what they've got to do.Just like to say thanks to amanda for a diffrent course an it sure took all us paddlers by surprise. :p

Phil

Post by Phil » Tue Jun 15, 2004 10:55 am

Well done to Sue and her team for a very enjoyable weekend. Weather on Sunday was ace, making the big water moves very enjoyable and predictable (I was dead slow but no 50's so scored points).

cookie_monster

Post by cookie_monster » Tue Jun 15, 2004 8:26 pm

Even if i did say that i wanted to go home after i first saw the course on sunday, i actually realy enjoyed it! Some interesting moves and it made a change to the usual stuff there, great course and great weather to go with it!! Cheers to sue an everyone else who made it happen!

SarahC

Post by SarahC » Tue Jun 15, 2004 8:34 pm

yay i agree with everyone, indeed i did have a bit of a strop wen i had a bad run but the course was still amazing to paddle on and i really enjoyed it! :)
xXx Sarah xXx

Retro

Post by Retro » Tue Jun 15, 2004 11:06 pm

Yes i must add to these notes of praise to Sue and the team.A very well run slalom and a fantastic course set, apon first looking at it, i was somewhat surprised to say the least.Thank you for setting gate 16 in the way you did.(i'll send you the bil for my broken helmet after i had strop at the bottom of the course after getting a 50 on it)

davebrads

Post by davebrads » Thu Jun 17, 2004 5:29 pm

Yeah great course - not that I did too well on it either. What is good about canoe slalom is that every course is different. I sensed a move (at least in this country) towards standardisation of courses, which would allow coaches to train their atheletes more easily, but which I felt would take too much away from the sport as I perceived it. Happily some other countries were not leaning this way, and we seem to be seeing harder courses being set again.

NIk (Welsh Dee access)

Post by NIk (Welsh Dee access) » Wed Jun 30, 2004 2:07 pm

I don't seem able to create a new subject so am replying here in the wrong thread - sorry.
Im dissapoionted that Slalom has sold out recreational paddlers by accepting that the WCA will get nowhere with its discussions regarding an access agreement for the Welsh Dee and sees the best action to petition for its own access. The fisherfolk must be laughing their socks off at us paddlers who can't even stick together. Their has already been ill feeling between recreational paddlers and competition paddlers and this can only make things worse, if the BCU and WCA fail to make headway regarding river access they may loose a lot of recreational paddlers and the funding for your competetions and training may suffer which would be such a shame.
Shame on all that sign your petition......