Tully Rapids - How big is it?

Discuss past and future events
joe coombs

Post by joe coombs » Sat Aug 14, 2004 8:20 pm

Hi

Does anyone know what the situation is about the Tay river level? I know there is a severe flood warning, but are the rapids flooded out or absolutely massive?

I was just wondering cos i am going up (via notsy JDS camp) for the div. 1/2 in a few weeks time.

Also, how long until Notsy is paddleable? cos of logs and water quality etc. ??? ???
Never Fall In!!!

Seedy Paddler

Post by Seedy Paddler » Mon Aug 16, 2004 9:17 am

Check out (almost live) water levels @
http://www.sepa.org.uk/data/river_levels/data.htm

The site you want is "Tay at Pitnacree", this is the station downstream from the bottom fall above the main road bridge. Water levels are dropping off again and with almost 2 weeks to Tully anything is possible. Looks like CXharley may have expended his energy in Florida and the US so we may not get the same downpour when he works his way across the Atlantic.

Regards

orange

Post by orange » Mon Aug 16, 2004 9:43 am

The tay was over the golf cousre in Aberfeldy and over the campsite up there, but has dropped a lot now.

Ed Kay

Post by Ed Kay » Wed Aug 18, 2004 8:39 pm

The Tay at Grandtully was fine for paddling this afternoon it was at a high winter level not unlike the height it was for this years double premier.

Seedy Paddler

Post by Seedy Paddler » Thu Aug 19, 2004 9:56 am

SEPA Gauge shows a significant rise in water level yesterday evening, but peak seems to have passed and levels are dropping around the area.

Ed - Worthwhile checking level on gauge when you were there and providing a few pointers for future reference

Pingu

Post by Pingu » Mon Aug 23, 2004 11:26 pm

Thanks for the link to the SEPA site Seedy.

I note that the recorded levels are still dropping today and yet there was a "Floodwatch" warning for the Upper Tay this morning with 40mm of rain expected during the day.

The historic graphs for the Pitnacree station show some humungous maximum flows for the station in the winter months. Close to 500 cumecs!

Let's hope it keeps raining! ('till Friday lunchtime and then it's Athens weather for the weekend).

:)
Out of Darkness cometh Light

Seedy Paddler

Post by Seedy Paddler » Fri Aug 27, 2004 9:31 am

:D
SEPA site shows slight rise last night, so River levels should be more than reasonable.

Met office forecast reasonable weather for today and saturday with showers Sunday for Aberfeldy

Should be a good weekend, shame I will miss out ! :(

Justy have to have lots of fun with my two wee boys instead :p