G B Internationals - Should we hold more internationals?

Discuss past and future events
Bus Driver

Post by Bus Driver » Mon Dec 13, 2004 9:58 am

Much as I regret that we did not hold the British Open in Llangollen this year, I think that as a nation, we have proved that we have the ability to run a first class international race at Nottingham and all credit should be given to the organisers for the hard work that they put in.

I would be interested to know how many more paddlers (and parents) would like to see a major international held in Nottingham every year (and via a post, who would be prepared to help).

I think the experiance for all, especially the juniors not on teams, would be very worthwhile as it is not always easy to get to europe for a major race.

beeble

Post by beeble » Mon Dec 13, 2004 12:51 pm

I've often wondered why there aren't more international events in UK? It would help to promote the sport and would give youngsters something extra to aim for.

John

Post by John » Mon Dec 13, 2004 3:03 pm

An early draft of the international calender had World Cups in Nottingham/Bala in 2005, 2006, 2007 and then the European Champs in 2008.

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Mon Dec 13, 2004 5:10 pm

The lack of internationals could well have something to do with the lack of people volunteering to run them!

Anyone fancy running a World Cup or 2? Income from paddlers probably zero, outgoings quite high, needs lots of time to co-ordinate it all, and more people to volunteer to take on particular tasks, plenty of opportunity to get abuse from paddlers . . . .

Do not let me put you off, it can be done Mrs H has taken the stress of trying to run Llangollen at Nottingham, and is still (apparently) as sane as she ever was. (I remember her paddling Slalom C2 so she cant have been that sane!)
All spelling errors are intentional and are there to show new and improved ways of spelling old words. Grammatical errors are due to too many English classes/teachers.
Old. Fat. Slow. Bad tempered. And those are my good points

Bus Driver

Post by Bus Driver » Mon Dec 13, 2004 5:56 pm

Yes I would agree that a lack of people willing to help is always a problem, whilst I am in timing the amount of people willing to complain but not then help is amazing. To run a major international takes alot of dedicated peopleso come on, volenteer!!!!

The ICF calander shows a class c international at the end of October 2005 at HPP but this late in the year has its own problems with water levels etc. I think we need a race earlier in the year and hopefully attract some world class european paddlers.

What do you think?

:;):

jim croft

Post by jim croft » Tue Dec 14, 2004 2:54 pm

:thumbsup: We need a lot more folks to help we can run good Internationals I have Organised in the past a Class A and at least two Class C's and helped at the 1995 Worlds, it is hard work. So put your names forward.

The ICF Calendar is incorrect it is hoped the the Llangollen Intenational will be on again in 2005 not H/P the ICF have been informed but as yet not corrected it. They were also informed months ago of the Grandtully class c international March 26 that is not in either.

Jim

Another Guest

Post by Another Guest » Thu Dec 16, 2004 7:57 am

But haven't the executive just voted on "C class internationals" and made them only open to those that are part of a sqaud so the juniors that attented the last international could only attend because it was British Open would now not be able to attend.

jim croft

Post by jim croft » Thu Dec 16, 2004 8:06 am

:rolleyes: I think you should read the ACM Minutes.

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Thu Dec 16, 2004 8:57 am

Just to help try following The thread here (I hope) :D

By the way I now have teh exec (or whatever it will be called) minutes and all decisions were ratified, so the only restrictionson class C entries are that you must enter through slalom admin, pay an annual registration and enter way in advance. :ohwell:
All spelling errors are intentional and are there to show new and improved ways of spelling old words. Grammatical errors are due to too many English classes/teachers.
Old. Fat. Slow. Bad tempered. And those are my good points