BUSA Slalom Feb 2005

Discuss past and future events
Rob Holdway

Post by Rob Holdway » Tue Nov 23, 2004 1:39 pm

Hope everyone has seen the poster advertising this event on the slalom website. It should be a fantastic event. It would be great to see you and your club there.
See the event website for more information:

www.dur.ac.uk/friends.ducc/busaslalom

SteveM
Site Admin

Post by SteveM » Wed Nov 24, 2004 12:05 am

Nice site :cool:

Here's a clicky for those too lazy to cut and paste :;):

Edited By SteveM on 1101254873

Wondergirl

Post by Wondergirl » Wed Nov 24, 2004 9:31 am

can we have a novice event too like at the student rodeo?

Rob Holdway

Post by Rob Holdway » Wed Nov 24, 2004 5:03 pm

The whole ethos of the event is that its open to everyone regardless of their abilities. The course will be of approximately div 2 standard meaning that everyone with a basic handle of moving water should be able to complete it. The aim is for the best paddler to be fastest but those less experienced will be still be able to meaningfully compete. We plan to have prizes for different abilities as well!

All in all we want the weekend to be a good blend of competition and having fun! The social is already beginning to take shape and we are looking into having music at the competition! And on Sunday the Extreme slalom is hoped to be a more light hearted competition (not too dissimilar to the slalom part of the student rodeo).

Rob Holdway

Post by Rob Holdway » Sun Jan 09, 2005 8:06 pm

Hi everyone,

Just a quick reminder that entries are soon to close for the BUSA slalom at Teesside. (13th Jan)

We've got lots planned. Some very nice prizes to be won, a great social to unwind at and a fun event on the sunday (paddles up extreme slalom type)

The slalom is suitable for anyone who has a basic handle of white water (you don't need to be a paddling god!) Get as many people there as you can, there is going to be a club prize.

If you aren't back yet and the deadline is problematic. Don't worry. Drop me an email and I'll be as accomodating as possible!

Hope to see you all there

Rob Holdway
r.w.holdway@rhul.ac.uk

jim croft

Post by jim croft » Sun Jan 16, 2005 2:47 pm

:;): Good Luck with the Championships

Can I remind you and all Oganisers of events that They MUST include the following statement on all Start Lists and puplicity information this a BCU ruling.

“Canoeing and Kayaking are “Assumed risk” – “Water contact sports” that may carry attendant risks. Participants should be aware of and accept these risks, and be responsible for their own action and involvement”.

Jim

Rob Holdway

Post by Rob Holdway » Wed Jan 19, 2005 5:17 pm

Hey Folks,

Just to keep you updated.

The first entry list has been supplied from BUSA. The event seems to be very well supported. We have a total of around 200 entries! This will require an alteration to the event schedule. More details to follow soon.

Many thanks for your entries.

Any problems: r.w.holdway@rhul.ac.uk

Geebs

Post by Geebs » Sat Jan 29, 2005 11:55 pm

Hi Rob

Look forward to seeing you there with our team of happy helpers :laugh: :laugh:
Paddle fast,,,Paddle safe Yorkshire Canoe Coaching

Rob Holdway

Post by Rob Holdway » Wed Feb 02, 2005 11:31 am

The start list is now available on the website:

www.dur.ac.uk/friends.ducc/busaslalom
Here (if it works!)

Keep your eyes peeled on the site, info will be placed there.

Any querries/problems: r.w.holdway@rhul.ac.uk

canoebabe88

Post by canoebabe88 » Sun Feb 13, 2005 10:04 pm

A very big congratulations to all the team that put together and ran a fantastic and well organised event this weekend.

It was pleasing to see so many entries (160) and for the event to be run on time for the two day period, this is a credit to the organising team, judges and competitors.

I am sure some other organisers of events could have learnt a lot form the way the event was run by a new team that have never run an event like this before, well done to you all.

Good luck for the next two years @ Tees. :thumbsup:

Geebs

Post by Geebs » Sun Feb 13, 2005 10:14 pm

Congratulations on a very well run event.

It was a pleasure working with you all this weekend, it is the best slalom competition that I have been involved with, the timing, organisation and atmosphere was incrediable.

Well done to all of you, many organisers of events could learn a lot from you guy's.

My best wishes to the team for the next two years of hosting the event. :thumbsup:

Thank you for inviting us to help. :D
Paddle fast,,,Paddle safe Yorkshire Canoe Coaching

Ruth Holdway

Post by Ruth Holdway » Mon Feb 14, 2005 1:41 pm

It just goes to show that with a team of young people organising an event canoe slalom can attract 100s of paddlers who would not normally be interested in canoe slalom. What's more the vast majority seemed to enjoy the event and said they would come back with more people next year.

About 80% of the competitiors were non ranked paddlers but it was still a meaningful event for the best paddlers of the country. It was a challenging course and ran to time. It puts the Slalom Committee's previous attempts to run the BUSA slalom with less than 20 entires to shame.

The atmosphere was great and there didn't appear to be many who were bored between runs - a PA system and music throughout the day could do a lot to improve the image of slalom events.

Ruth

Rob Holdway

Post by Rob Holdway » Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:46 pm

A big thank you to all of you for coming and supporting the event! I, and everyone else i speak to, think that it passed off very well!

Thanks too to all those who helped in any such way, without out the event couldn't have been half as successful.

Provisional results can now be viewed on the website:
Web page here

jim croft

Post by jim croft » Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:28 am

:thumbsup: Well done Rob I am glad it went well.

Before you knock the Slalom Committee Ruth the committe has never run the event, England Canoe Slalom team was asked by BUSA to run the event in with the Pan Celtic Cup last yearand BUSA would arrange the entries. Viking K C ran it in the 70s at Cardington on behalf of BUSA with nearly 200 entries. But again the Slalom Committee has never run the Event.

Rob would you please send me a set of results to keep on the Slalom Admin file. Address in the Yearbbok.

Jim

Phil

Post by Phil » Tue Feb 15, 2005 4:03 pm

Glad to see you've served your apprentiship, we'll put the Holdway team down to run all S&S's events next year :o