Stone Mini Slaloms 2005

Discuss past and future events
Dave Royle

Post by Dave Royle » Mon Feb 07, 2005 9:05 pm

This year we have had the best entries so far for the Stone Mini Series attracting 123 paddlers for the first event and 108 for the second. The final event will take place on 27 Feb and anyone who competes in all three races and hasn't previously won one of the mugs will be awarded one for taking part.

While all this is fresh in our minds I would like to ask what people like about the events and whether there are any improvements people would like to see for next year (no promises :;): )

jim croft

Post by jim croft » Wed Feb 09, 2005 8:00 am

:( Now these events are ranking Div 4 it is sad that only 1 promtee from the first event has applied for a commemorative promotion certificate.

Good luck Stafford & Stone with your mini slaloms must be good for the sport

Jim Slalom Admin

Post by Guest » Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:41 am

Overall very good and a nice way to ease back into the season.

But why the silly stuff about changing handicaps if you achieve a time in the top 50% of the division above? We all know who this was aimed at, but it is unfair because it depends who's paddling in the division above - if they're no good why should the better paddlers in the lower division be penalised! Also it was apparently only applied to one paddler whilst others escaped... ???

A better way would perhaps be to have a general rule saying that anyone obviously mismatched in a division/handicap would have their handicap reviewed.

The other point is why were those promoted in the div4 ranking event allowed to retain the div4 handicap for later races? Confusing or what, and it must have made a big difference to the later results, (in the MSs that is...)

The point is that since these are fun events keeping it simple is a virtue. But I don't want to end on a moan, the hard work that goes into staging these events is much appreciated, (especially the cakes), so thanks to everyone at S & S. :D

Clare

Post by Clare » Tue Mar 01, 2005 5:32 pm

Had a really good time in all 3 events. Well done, the organisation also seemed very efficient! :D
Also, I'm only in division 3, so to be able to watch the better paddlers is something I like about them.

Pingu

Post by Pingu » Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:17 pm

Thanks to everyone who helped organise the three races.

My only comment would be that as the events become more popular year by year, the time taken to run each race inevitably increases.

My suggestion would be to review the time intervals between higher division paddlers. Perhaps the gap between paddlers in divisions two and above could be reduced to, say, 45 seconds.

Oh, and a new showerhead in the men's changing room! ...... In fact a new shower would be even better!

Thanks again.
Out of Darkness cometh Light

jim croft

Post by jim croft » Fri Mar 04, 2005 8:12 am

:D Well done Stafford & Stone, the reports I have heard are very good, as these events were ranking for Division 4 and a number were promoted, but I have only recieved requests for 4 promotion certificates from the 3 events.

Jim Slalom Admin

Dave Royle

Post by Dave Royle » Fri Mar 04, 2005 2:29 pm

Just to answer a few points made about the Mini Slaloms.

1. This year we felt it necessary to bring in a rule to try and square up any inappropriate rankings. There has in the past been a certain amount of ill feeling generated when someone who does not normally have a great interest or dedication to slalom (whatever the level) can easily win the Mini Slalom Series. Three boats in total were demoted and one of those still made the ten boat final thus justifying the re-ranking. This year, the event was hotly contested between paddlers from all classes and divisions. The final had the top five paddlers within five seconds. To let someone who is inappropriately ranked win that event by 10 seconds or more would of been dissappointing for the majority and would of been of no challenge to the winner.

2. The Mini Slalom Series has not previously been ranked for Division 4. We hesitated in doing this as we didn't want to change what would appear to be a popular format. In the end we decided it would be beneficial in providing an additional opportunity for youngsters to be promoted and hopefully get hooked on Slalom. The Division 4 part of the event was intended to be low key and we didn't promote paddlers for the purpose of the series as that would of changed the principle of the main event.

We have had a number of comments about the validity of the ten boat final.

3. We discussed the Mini Slalom Series format at length at our Committee meeting this week and concluded that
a) The event would be ranking for Division 4 next year.
b) We would continue to have a policy of re-ranking inappropriately ranked paddlers.
c) Next year the final will only take place at the last race and the ten finalists will come from the ranking list and will be used to determine the overall ranking.

I hope these explanations make the decisions we made sound fairer.

This year's Mini Slalom Series has been one of the most popular ever, going back to the times when slalom was at its peak. We have always enjoyed running these events at the Club and continue to seek to evolve them to keep them relevant to todays racing.

Thankyou to all those who made a contribution to making the events successful.

Kevin McHugh

Post by Kevin McHugh » Fri Mar 04, 2005 4:05 pm

Many Thanks to all the hard working S&S volunteers for putting the events on. From my point of view it proved invaluable in helping the transition from winter training into the higher tempo racing needed at junior selection.

My only suggestion is as the events are aimed at developing paddlers can we make the course length 90-100 seconds for the top J16 standard boats. I appreciate this would mean modifying the handy cap as the top senior boats will be doing about 70-80 seconds. But we could work out a new handy cap. This is in line with the concepts of LTPD where the length of a slalom course in time remains similar across the divisions but the technical difficulty and increases as you climb the divisions. I would suggest moving the Finish upstream to achieve this. It would also allow the C1's to get closer to the kayaks and maybe even beat them if we get rid of the open sections.

Many Thanks

ToOldToDieYoungC1

Post by ToOldToDieYoungC1 » Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:42 pm

I have paddled the mini series for many years now and have found this early year wakeup call after way to much over indulging to be great fun. Even though I am classed as a divisional vet these days I am still competitive and us oldies can still keep up with the youngsters, I still paddle because I enjoy paddling. The mini slalom is grate for introducing new talent to our sport. The handicap works better some years than others but on hole its works out quite fair. I take me hat off to ALL at Stafford and Stone Canoe Club for their hard work in some horrid weather. I hope to be there paddling, judging and having fun for many more years. Keep up the good work. :D