Shepperton

Discuss past and future events
Pingu

Post by Pingu » Tue Mar 08, 2005 12:54 pm

The usual thanks to the organisers and helpers for a good event.

For those that didn't go, the second runs had to be cancelled after the Environment Agency closed the only open sluice on the weir, after lunch.

I don't know the background to the operation of the sluices on Thames weirs but I presume they are to regulate the water flow. I assume that they are closed to either avoid flooding downstream or to conserve sufficient depth of water upstream for river traffic.

If this is so and the sluice was closed to maintain the water level upstream, why could they not close the sluice overnight (as at Cardington for instance)?

This could have avoided the afternoon closure (and I might have got a better night's sleep without the constant sound of gushing water)!

Does anyone know the reasoning for the EA actions?
Out of Darkness cometh Light

Dutch Geezer

Post by Dutch Geezer » Tue Mar 08, 2005 5:23 pm

I know the Lock keeper at Shepperton tried to keep the sluice open as long as possible. His actions were dictated by the guy at Chertsey Lock who also kept his sluice open as long as possible.

So some lock keeper up round Winsor or higher caused the problem, probably a fisherman.

EFranklin

Post by EFranklin » Tue Mar 08, 2005 8:40 pm

Well the Romney Lock Keeper (downstream of Windsor) is an active marathon paddler who should have been onside!

However given just how little rain we've had all winter we were very lucky to have the flow for even one run.

Everyone can dream of the perfect second run that would have been!

Retro

Post by Retro » Thu Mar 10, 2005 1:33 pm

I to must add my thanks to all the people involved in the event......very well run, shame bout the water quanity though!!
Is there any chance of getting some results posted?either on here or the slalom main website?
If your reading this..........you've just wasted your time.

Richard Hodge

Post by Richard Hodge » Thu Mar 10, 2005 7:52 pm

There's some results now on the Shepperton Website

There is still some tidying up to do, and points to add and there may be some errors!

I won't have time to fix these for about a week - Sorry

Richard
Shepperton Slalom Canoe Club

74-1085482746

Post by 74-1085482746 » Fri Mar 11, 2005 12:08 pm

This may be a little off topic but....
I was wondering if it is possible to get hold of a 2005 membership form for shepperton slalom cc.

Thanks

Jimi3000

Post by Jimi3000 » Fri Mar 11, 2005 5:48 pm

i assume that none of those points count then, cos there is nothing in the points column.

Fison100@hotmail.com

Post by Fison100@hotmail.com » Wed Mar 23, 2005 9:25 pm

??? Hello the South

I travelled 265 miles to this event and i heard rummord that they may be shutting a gate off on the Sunday. This was on the Saturday mornig so if thats the case then why did they not try to get all the runs through early on instead of standing aroung getting cold.

Richard Hodge

Post by Richard Hodge » Thu Mar 24, 2005 6:32 pm

Jimi3000, you didn't quite read my message right, I said I hadn't done the points yet! The results from this race will count, even though the Div 1 only had one run.

Anyway, the full results are now posted on the Shepperton Website and I'll get a link to them from Slalom UK as soon as I can.

Richard
SSCC

Jimi3000

Post by Jimi3000 » Thu Mar 24, 2005 6:45 pm

pardon me, you are correct.

thats good, at least the points do count, that should be some kind of positive for mr fusion.