Use of Throw Bags - Do you know how to use one??

Discuss past and future events

Use of Throw Bags - Do you know how to use one??

Yes I know how to throw one
83%
Yes I know how to receive one
17%
No I do not know how to throw one
No votes
No I do not know how to receive one
No votes
I would like to learn what to do
No votes
I don't care
No votes

Total votes: 12

Geebs

Post by Geebs » Sun Jul 24, 2005 11:47 pm

After seeing a lot of paddlers at the recent Div 1 at Washburn that did not have a clue what to do when they swam and were given a 'Bag' I was disgusted at the amount that did not know how to make use of a line.

Surely this should be taught to all paddlers that are likely to be using a White Water course not only for their own safety but the safety of the rescuer's as well.

Have we stopped teaching people the basic's of rescue techniques when we are involved in slalom?? Surely some of the water being paddled in Div 1 or Prem is a lot higher grade than you would encounter on a river trip??

I would welcome comments as well.
Paddle fast,,,Paddle safe Yorkshire Canoe Coaching

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Mon Jul 25, 2005 8:55 am

No option for know how to throw AND receive. ???

Surprised at the number needing a throw bag at the weekend, enjoyed Saturdays course more than Sundays, which I thought too easy for a Div 1, realy just a sprint course. Am I just being a (slow) old fogey? :(

Geebs

Post by Geebs » Mon Jul 25, 2005 11:14 pm

The course was quite difficult around the gate 15-17 area and if you ended up side-way's in the weir and you did not know or did not have the strength to paddle out of it there was only one sure result,, a swim.

Yes tend to agree on the Sunday course, it was not as technical as Saturday's, but it did cut down the swimmers only one on Sunday :;):

74-1085482746

Post by 74-1085482746 » Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:23 pm

Can throw and recieve.

beefy

Post by beefy » Thu Jul 28, 2005 11:44 pm

i have to agree with geebs

some of the swimmer really could do with being able to recieve a throw line. every time that line was thrown it was on target so why was it not picked up lack of traning in throwbags!!!!

Dave Cuthill

Post by Dave Cuthill » Sun Aug 14, 2005 2:03 pm

:cool: :)
I think it's all down to training. To throw and use a throwbag professionaly people have to train every week at least.
I'd rather people didn't use throwbags at all unless there was a serious incident. I'm surprised there are not more ropes-related injuries and deaths.
Suggest next competition, have a bag-in-the-bucket competition and test the skills.
Dave

Geebs

Post by Geebs » Mon Aug 15, 2005 9:59 am

The use of Throw Bag's should be taught as best practice in all canoe club's as it is something that is required for the CST and 4* test's, also it is common sense when paddling on a river that you should know how to rescue / be rescued.

hhzoombird

Post by hhzoombird » Tue Aug 16, 2005 6:03 pm

Yes, I know how to use a throw bag:

If the swimmer looks like he is in danger of self rescuing, thus avoiding purchasing traditional "swim-beers", it is important to run FAST to the nearest point to the swimmer, shouting loudly "ITS OK! I'LL GET YOU! YOU ARE SAFE NOW".
The swimmer is usually, by this point, standing up in the ankle-deep, not-even-slightly-rapid rapid and calling out "NO! I'm fine. Go awaY! Its fine, I've got my boat, got my paddle, GO AWAY!"

Wait until the swimmer has taken firm hold of his boat and is tilting it in a see-saw fashion to remove the water.
At this moment, the swimmer is vunerable:
A well-aimed, well-timed throw of the bag can catch him unawares so he loses footing and returns to the main flow where he belongs.

Use of grappling hooks to achieve this desired result is considered unsporting, but any attempts to startle the swimmer into slipping are fair game, as is a pincer attack using two throw bags and maybe a stray dog.

Once the swimmer is safely in the water, a 3-prong rescue should now be effected:
i.e. boat, blade and swimmer should ideally be "rescued" by 3 seperate heroes to result in 3 seperate beers.

Geebs

Post by Geebs » Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:52 pm

Thank you for your words of wisdom hhzoombird, I will remember your advice if I ever see you in trouble on a river :p

Interesting point is 80% know how to throw one and as suspected only 20% know how to receive one, I am sure the BCU would like to add these figures in when doing their risk assessment's

SteveM
Site Admin

Post by SteveM » Wed Aug 17, 2005 8:24 am

Interesting point is 80% know how to throw one and as suspected only 20% know how to receive one, I am sure the BCU would like to add these figures in when doing their risk assessment's

Ahhh... as there was no "I know how to throw AND receive one" option what I think you have here is 80% of respondants think they know how to throw AND receive a bag, while the remaining 20% all know how to receive one.

That means that 100% of respondants feel they know how to be rescued by a throw-bag.

Should be no problems then :D

Steve

Geebs

Post by Geebs » Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:06 am

Good point Steve, perhaps if we look at it again it would be worthwhile adding that option.

Still with only 10 people voting I can not see the point in going any further and creating a new poll ???

Geebs

Post by Geebs » Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:07 am

I would at this stage like to draw any organizers attention to page 103 of the slalom yearbook.

I think this is one page that should be read before organizing an event along with pages 114/115.

Dave McCraw

Post by Dave McCraw » Tue Sep 13, 2005 11:16 am

Perhaps 80% of people *think* they know how to throw a bag, but how many are putting in sufficient practice to make a throw on the first attempt?

As someone mentioned good line work requires regular practice and from all my experience of paddling I've yet to even hear of a club which insists on just ten minutes of line work a week...

Even if the poor swimmer does catch a line on first attempt, how many of the supposed 80% are using a correct stance / grip? How many would be ready with a vector pull if the arrangement of current and eddy requires it? How many carry a one-handed serrated knife (which is absolutely *essential*)?

99% of the time we can get away without this, but what can go wrong, eventually will...

D.