62%
One race in Llangollen, one in Nottingham
21%
Both races in Nottingham
17%

Total votes: 42

Richie

Post by Richie » Thu Aug 25, 2005 11:30 am

As everyone is no doubt aware, we will be hosting the Junior and under 23 European Champs next year. It is therefore likely that we will be getting several teams coming over to Nottingham between now and then to train on the course.

Because of this it has been suggested that atleast one of the end of year races are held in Nottingham rather than Llangollen. There is still a chance that both of the races will have to be held in Nottingham, but if we do get the go ahead to race in Llangollen, what do people think to having one of these races in Nottingham to attract more international paddlers?

eastern slalom rep

Post by eastern slalom rep » Thu Aug 25, 2005 4:57 pm

well, i think one in nottingham and one in llan would be cool. then, hopefully any foreign paddlers could experience the both. also i am thinking (although it may be obvious) that the 2nd weekend would be the one to have in nottingham.

VivienneM

Post by VivienneM » Sat Aug 27, 2005 9:28 am

I can't believe there is discussion to move a race or two!!! to Nottingham from Llangollen. People can (and do) paddle at Nottingham anytime - all the time. There have been 6 race week ends there this year and so few opportunities for other good water in the UK. Llangollen provides a challenge to all. Also, what about the traders of Llangollen who were set back by the cancellation last year and have supported our return? What about those who find Llangollen the highspot of the season? What if the one week end is washed out? The reason are endless to stay with Llangollen. Arrange another International at HPP if you must. We, for three, will feel really let down if Llangollen is ditched for any reason other than flood. (I posted something similar on another thread - sorry for the duplication)

Richie

Post by Richie » Sat Aug 27, 2005 11:06 am

I remind you again of the last two years at Llangollen, there were a lot of complaints about how low the water was and that they should have cancelled these races. Doesn't particularly support your argument for some of the best water in the UK!!

davebrads

Post by davebrads » Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:52 pm

And can I remind you of the occasions that races have had to be cancelled at HPP because of flooding. And I think the last international at HPP the water was embarassingly low too. Both sites are subject to the weather.

Geebs

Post by Geebs » Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:21 am

Has the problem with the fishermen been resolved to a level that will guarantee the event running in Llangollen? or will it be a last minute change to HPP as has happened in the past which would be a shame as it would not look good to our european paddler guests.
Paddle fast,,,Paddle safe Yorkshire Canoe Coaching

davebrads

Post by davebrads » Wed Aug 31, 2005 4:04 pm

I guess we find out in a couple of months.

fison

Post by fison » Thu Sep 08, 2005 11:16 am

Here is a suggestion what about other race sites ie Tully Teesside Trywern Washburn just that it always seems to be on Nottingham only an idea so dont have a go at me people :laugh:
lets get it on

Richie

Post by Richie » Thu Sep 08, 2005 10:07 pm

The whole point of moving the race to Nottingham was to encourage those international athletes, who are competing in the Europeans next year, to come over and race.

Dutch Geezer

Post by Dutch Geezer » Fri Sep 09, 2005 12:57 am

Whilst I like the reasoning behind Ritchies proposal, I just think that to move the event this year would kill all support for the slalom event from the people of llangollen who have fought to get us the access.

How about WCP/Slalom Exec making it attractive to foreign paddlers by offering free practice or even a mini event mid week at HPP and transport to Llangollen for the weekend races.

ElaineF

Post by ElaineF » Fri Sep 09, 2005 9:52 pm

There are a number of younger paddlers who were disappointed not to get to race at Llangollen last year - they really want the chance to experience both events this year. Surely there must be some way to keep these races in Wales and yet still attract foreign paddlers to HPP?

Post by Guest » Sun Sep 18, 2005 9:59 pm

Anyone know where it is yet??? ???

Pingu

Post by Pingu » Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:09 am

I believe that discussions are still taking place and that a final decision will be made by the end of this week.
Out of Darkness cometh Light

the messenger

Post by the messenger » Fri Sep 23, 2005 7:26 pm

I hope I am not out of order here but I think you will all find that both weekends are off at Llangollen and will be at Nottingham

NKcanoe

Post by NKcanoe » Sat Sep 24, 2005 9:43 am

Both weekends are now @ Nottingham
Llangollen Races 2005

"The Slalom Committee regrets that they have had to make the decision to once again move the two weekends of racing at Llangollen to Holme Pierrepont. The WCA have failed to agree with the angling fraternity re recreational paddling and are continuing to lump competition in with the package. We will endevour to do all we can to ensure that the races return to Llangollen next year.

It would be helpful if as many of you as possible could write to the Chief Executive of the WCA expressing your anger and dismay at their failure to deal with this issue over the last 3 years."