Both races in Nottingham
17%

Total votes: 42

Jimi3000

Post by Jimi3000 » Sat Sep 24, 2005 10:28 am

dont think i'll bother going then

domestic paddler

Post by domestic paddler » Sat Sep 24, 2005 8:09 pm

Nor me. Maybe a trip on the Dee instead.

davebrads

Post by davebrads » Sun Sep 25, 2005 8:44 pm

I'll be there too, for at least one of the weekends.

I thought that the slalom was going to be run despite the objections of the anglers. I had the impression that there was actually nothing to stop the event running as the anglers actually had no jurisdiction over the slalom course, since it was either owned by the council, the railway or private individuals.

I am certainly not going to write to the WCA regarding their stance - the position for recreational paddlers is now better than ever before. Without any agreement, they (we) are free to paddle one of the best white water rivers in England and Wales all year round, since no-one can actually do anything to stop us.

fison

Post by fison » Mon Sep 26, 2005 4:41 pm

A bitter dissapointment to the end of year for me. There will be raceing at Nottingham that may be some coslation to the canoe slalom. the people that i feel sorry for is the local bussiness in Llagollen. Yes they do have other events in the year off tourist to make money but ask the locals if they want canoeist and i bet the answer will be above 95% of them will. lets hope it all gets sorted out soon :angry: :angry:
lets get it on

Post by Guest » Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:20 pm

Yippee yet another event at Nottingham. Why not use one of the other site like Tryweryn

moyra

Post by moyra » Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:22 pm

i agree! if they insist on taking the event off one of the best courses in the country....why does it have to go to nottingham! whats wrong with Tryweryn etc.

Gav

Post by Gav » Wed Sep 28, 2005 2:03 pm

Yes, I can't imagine many people are too happy about the prospect of yet another HPP slalom. I know I won't be bothering with it. There must be other venues, what about all the sites from yesteryear like the dart, hambledon etc.

guest 2

Post by guest 2 » Wed Sep 28, 2005 4:19 pm

I'd like to know the full details of why the races were cancelled so I can write an informed letter to the WCA. And yes, why not Washburn or Tryweryn?

gav

Post by gav » Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:15 pm

As far as I can make out, the current situation for recreational paddling on the Dee (although not official) is awesome. I can't see the WCA wanting to sign anything that would change that. I guess the thing is to do is dump this tie we have with the WCA and form our own agreement with the relevant landowners on the banks of the town falls for the specified weekends.

fison

Post by fison » Thu Sep 29, 2005 4:35 pm

so here we go again no race at Town Falls for i think 3 years what a shame. Mite be to far in the furture but if we/they have had 3 years of trying to sort this mess out then what hope have we got in raceing there in the furture years :(
lets get it on

Post by guest » Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:00 pm

The slalom web site is great, very well run and full of useful information. But it’s not official, fair enough…

Is this web site the place to announce the cancelled Llangollen event?
Has this news been posted anywhere else?
Has it been officially announced?
How about people who don’t look at the web site?

(NB. This is no way a dig the slalom web site)

Geebs

Post by Geebs » Wed Oct 05, 2005 1:08 am

I realy can not think of a better way unless you actualy mailshot all the paddlers that are eligable to enter the races.

I know what you are saying that people do not always have access or look at the website but it is the best medium that is available without incurring a lot of cost.

At least the races are going ahead, unfortunatly not at the venue that was intended, I am sure this has caused the organisers major headaches and all credit to them they are continuing to run the event's.

I am sure we all wish them well for their efforts
Paddle fast,,,Paddle safe Yorkshire Canoe Coaching

fison

Post by fison » Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:49 pm

Here Here

I agree with the last post entirly. We still have a race and i wonder how inportant it will be for padlers who want to get onto a team or even win the Div 1 or Premier races and win over all :)
lets get it on

Spiderman

Post by Spiderman » Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:00 pm

Well, even though I have not competed this season due to injury, I am still very saddened by the news that both end of season Llangollen events have been moved to HPP again :-( Very unimaginative.

I personally enjoy natural river slaloms far more than artificial courses anyway. The rivers have spent many years honing out the river bed to form "natural" predictable water flows that artificial courses will sadly never achieve. Instead, the water trips and falls, boils and swirls unnaturally over and around obstructions to create a different set of water movements on every run. I would like to try HPP in about 50,000 years....should be a great course by then :-)
Peter Parker - 12 gate courses are plenty long enough!

VivienneM

Post by VivienneM » Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:37 pm

Saddened indeed! - as we prepare to bat up the M1 again instead of looking forward to two wonderful long week-ends, contributing to the Welsh economy and the boys gaining invaluable experience on a challenging natural river course.

I want to do all I can to help make the races happen next year - but what?

Last year I wrote loads of letters to high places – MP, Minister of Culture, Media and Sport, British Olympic Committee, Lord Coe, Central Committee for Sport and Recreation, Welsh Assembly etc. The reply, where I got one, was that it was up to the BCU to sort it out. One quote was: '...I am sure the issues will be resolved by dialogue between BCU, WCA and relevant agencies...... The BCU will no doubt keep us abreast of the situation and engage our support where appropriate.'
Then we heard that the BCU would support this year’s race – who said that? – so a year of action was lost.

What are the options for the races to run?
1. Change the access laws – decades.
2. WCA makes access agreement with Anglers, Landowners – I can’t find out what the WCA are asking for and when they last had a meeting – anyone know?
3. WCA negotiates separately for recreation and racing - seems reasonable especially if the town of Llangollen owns the land at Town Falls.
4. BCU (now BCU Access Policy Group) supports the races, as being essential facilities for UK slalom and thus Olympic hopes.
5. Any others?

Hopefully the slalom committee will nominate a sub group to try to reinstate the races and I would like to offer my support. Meanwhile, it could be useful to compile a collage of names (real!) with quotes on: if, why and how much, you think the Town Falls races are needed. If you think this would be useful please email me at: acc1@btopenworld.com or come and talk about it – I am usually with Flick, the white beagle type dog with brown ears and neither of us bite.