DRAFT, PROVISIONAL Managed Calendar 2006 - Thanks to Jim Croft for his work

Discuss past and future events
andy n

Post by andy n » Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:44 pm

So the debate goes on ...

What happens now - we all wait for two weeks until the ACM and then it goes to a vote? Where are most of the clubs with the votes located in the country?

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:12 am

[rant mode on]
:( perhaps next year I should not try to get the DRAFT calendar posted early, and we can all wait for our yearbooks to know when events are!

Yes it would be good if the calendar was stable by now. But that is in the hands of the Organisers not Jim (or Dee next year?)

Maybe the change is better for the south (with further to go) than the North, BUT the Scots have this issue for every other selection weekend so please keep a little perspective. {Declare interest, I used to live in the south, now live near the middle of England and have paddled for Scotland}

Bear in mind that the Tully organisers have already had to agree changes with locals, if we want them to go back and say they have changed theit minds, the ACM cannot approve thr calendar until/unless the organisers agree. So if you want the original dates, you will need to get agreement from the Organiser, AND your rep to propse the changes.

Please also remember that this years calendar was still fluid at this time, I think Jim has done well to get it this stable this early.

[rant off]
All spelling errors are intentional and are there to show new and improved ways of spelling old words. Grammatical errors are due to too many English classes/teachers.
Old. Fat. Slow. Bad tempered. And those are my good points

Post by Guest » Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:38 am

A good point, so why is it that such changes could be made with such haste after only two postings on an unofficial website's chatline, whereas changes to the still unofficial calendar are now apparently deemed by some on this forum to be irreversible, (despite the weight of argument and opinion for retaining the original dates), when we still have some time to go before the ACM?

I fully recognise that the Scottish paddlers do have a harder time than most of us in travelling to races, which is why the original dates for the Tryweryn Selection appear to be more amenable to the Scots. If the dates of Scottish holidays mentioned earlier are correct this at least allows them a more leisurely return journey.

Post by Guest » Mon Nov 14, 2005 11:33 am

When is the ACM??? Not soon enough then it is sorted once and for all!!

Midlands Guest

Post by Midlands Guest » Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:15 pm

Can I just add to Nick Brady's comments - I also have already booked accommodation and leave for the 'original' Tully dates and so the calendar change, based on the needs of an apparent minority, is going to be financially costly and I'm also going to have to see if I can find anyone to swap with at work if the new dates remain in place (may not be possible, others have made their plans now). How many others are in a similar position? I think it was a pity this thread wan't allowed to run a bit longer before the change was made.
btw I am also sorry to hear that Jim Croft was the recipient of an abusive phone call - I think that's outrageous behaviour

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:59 pm

ACM = weekend after next (as in yearbook) 26 November. Only 6 days after the Proteus Winter slalom come along on Sunday and enter on the day.

Hopefully we will get the calendar finalised, but historically the wrangling has continued for weeks afterward, giving Jim yet more work. :p
All spelling errors are intentional and are there to show new and improved ways of spelling old words. Grammatical errors are due to too many English classes/teachers.
Old. Fat. Slow. Bad tempered. And those are my good points

jim croft

Post by jim croft » Mon Nov 14, 2005 3:50 pm

:angry: With the Calendar you are on a hiding to nothing 1 club sent me applications for 3 events in the Middle of October and I had application from another Club for 3 events come in on the 11th November YES 11th November you can't win.

Jim

VivienneM

Post by VivienneM » Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:12 am

Bit confused here.
Do we not all agree that the one week that should be in all school holidays - if there is one - should be the week between the Grandtully races?
This is always the focus for a family holiday and so affects brothers and sisters as well as paddlers. It is a fun training week with paddling and social opportunities for all. It must be good for the local economy too.
I will volunteer to supply a list of EVERY county's school term dates for next year's compilers and organisers. There is an amazing web site for Scotland : www.scotland.gov.uk/Publications/2004/12/term-dates .
But even here West Lothian does not break up until 7th.
I admire the scottish paddlers for the long trecks they make. But I cannot see the major advantage of the previous dates over the latests. If they were hoping to practice on the Tryweryn before that selection race, then there is no guarantee there would be a release.

Vicky

Post by Vicky » Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:19 pm

The new calender works out better for me as I start back the monday directly after the prems... very long drive home.
Looks like the minority vote though.

Hope it all gets worked out,
good luck

Post by Guest » Fri Nov 18, 2005 8:13 am

The draft junior selection criteria just published appear to use the new dates. Should this be taken as evidence that the International Panel are trying to railroad these dates despite the weight of opinion expressed here?

Anne

Post by Anne » Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:19 am

As you have said "draft" nothing is set in stone re the calendar until the ACM as has been said numerous times, or the selection policy until after consultation. The IP have actually had nothing to do with any date changes.

VivienneM

Post by VivienneM » Mon Nov 21, 2005 7:49 pm

A morning on the first 12 pages of google on 'uk term school' tells me that for the eduation areas represented:
26 Eng, 31 Scotland break up 31.03.06, go back 18/19th.04.06
20 Eng, 1 Scotland break up 07.04.06, go back 24/25th.04.06
and 3 Welsh areas don't break up until 11th or 13th April.

The former include plenty of areas north of Watford and some Southern areas have the second dates.
So I think those wanting the present proposed Tully dates of 8th /9th and 15th/16th April 2006 are not in the minority – they are just less vocal on this forum.

I am still surprised that so many posts did not care that many paddlers would be back at school for the week between the Tully races. I wonder if there are any Welsh paddlers with the really late holidays? They would certainly have reason to want the first proposed dates.

The good news, though, is that of all these areas, that have put their 2007 dates, break up on 30.03.07 and go back on 16.04.07, except 3 which break up on 4.04.07. I’ll continue with a complete survey, but it looks possible that everyone will be off school from 6th to 15th April 2007. Don’t book your cottages yet though!

kanu.63

Post by kanu.63 » Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:16 pm

REF- Tees prem/div 1 moved fwd .The reason for the change in the race is not the tide times but the availibility of water in March they can raise the levels up to 15 cumecs if needed, much better than the 7 maximum in Oct next year teeside will be at its best and Cleveland Canoe Club who are now running the event should be supported inthis move to improve the standard of water for the competetors.

Post by Guest » Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:25 pm

Looking forward to Tees!!!!

Teach

Post by Teach » Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:15 pm

Quote "A morning on the first 12 pages of google on 'uk term school' tells me that for the eduation areas represented:
26 Eng, 31 Scotland break up 31.03.06, go back 18/19th.04.06
20 Eng, 1 Scotland break up 07.04.06, go back 24/25th.04.06
and 3 Welsh areas don't break up until 11th or 13th April."

Ahh, but some areas have many more schools than others, so this isn't necessarily a fair representation.