DRAFT, PROVISIONAL Managed Calendar 2006 - Thanks to Jim Croft for his work

Discuss past and future events
chauffeur

Post by chauffeur » Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:44 am

We'd just like to see a final proposal that will go to the ACM then we know what we are organising for holidays. :D

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:58 am

I am sorry if this has caused problems with booking holiday etc, but I have to refer to the rider on the Proteus site that reads
This is the latest draft from Jim Croft, who is struggling to get a coherent calndar for the ACM. DO NOT BOOK ANYTHING BASED ON THIS, but if your event isnt here, ask the organiser why not

If you watched this last year you woudl have seen that the calendar changes a lot. Worse than that, the 'final' draft for the ACM is altered at the meeting, and sometimes Jim is asked to continue working after that. So do not book anything until finalised, or be prepared for it to move.

Before you get too upset with the slalom committee or Jim remember that Div 1 events should be proposed by May 1st, and other events by July 1st. This would give plenty of time to iron out the issues before getting here, and give time for holiday booking.

Ok this would not have dealt with the school holiday/ selection issues but would have given more time to airing them and agreeing the approach.
All spelling errors are intentional and are there to show new and improved ways of spelling old words. Grammatical errors are due to too many English classes/teachers.
Old. Fat. Slow. Bad tempered. And those are my good points

* Naomi *

Post by * Naomi * » Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:10 pm

In reply to what elaine and tonka said a while ago about most of the south of england easter holidays being outside of the origional tully dates, I would have to disagree. I go to college in Surrey and my college easter holidays fitted, and so did all the surrouding colleges. My brother goes to school in berkshire and also has easter holidays to fit, and so do all the schools in my area, primary, secondary, and the universitys. So thats at least two countys in the south which would have been fine with the origional dates, maybe it was only a minority of the south that had a problem with this??

Teach

Post by Teach » Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:41 pm

School holiday dates can be got well in advance. Most 'name ofcounty'.gov sites have dates on up to 2007 already.
I've looked at several web sites and most finish April 7th, apart from the London boroughs.
But there has been lots of changes and perhaps its time to give Jim a rest from all the ear ache and see what happens at the ACM now. :cool:

Dee

Post by Dee » Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:22 pm

I find it very sad how, in some places, the tone of this "chat" seems to have degenerated from a discussion about finding a date that as many as possible can manage, to an anti-South/anti-North battle.

Slalom is a small sport in number terms, but in my experience, characterised by warmth between competitors and, in most cases, a desire by everyone for everyone to do well. Please can we keep it that way. :(
Kit Washer, Entry Clerk, Chauffeur, Reluctant Organiser, Online Entry Advocate .....
Anything I post under this user is my personal opinion; I am not posting as a member of the Slalom Committee!

Dee

Post by Dee » Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:31 pm

PS: Personally, sad to see that the div 2 has been moved to the 7th as we can't make it (but could make Easter). School freedom for us means 14th to 27th April - probably different to the rest of the world. Whatever happens some people will be disappointed. Well done Jim in your efforts to please as many as you can.
Kit Washer, Entry Clerk, Chauffeur, Reluctant Organiser, Online Entry Advocate .....
Anything I post under this user is my personal opinion; I am not posting as a member of the Slalom Committee!

Midlands Guest

Post by Midlands Guest » Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:16 pm

I don't think this is an anti-south anti-north thing, it just seems the Tully dates have been changed for what now, given the extra info appearing in this thread, is an increasingly small minority.

Post by Guest » Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:38 pm

I agree, and of course it is not just the Tully dates but also the Tryweryn which have been changed, (and which would make it difficult for the Scottish paddlers to get to Wales given the Scottish holidays noted above).

Since Anne has asked for positive comments I would give a positive endorsement to the "original" calendar, to avoid confusion Tryweryn 1/Prem on 8 & 9 April; Tully Pan-Celtic/1 on 15 & 16 April; and Tully Prem Dble on 22 & 23 April. This still seems to suit the majority best.

Midlands Guest

Post by Midlands Guest » Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:11 pm

:) Yep, I positively agree with the previous comment - those original dates were great!!!

dsamartin

Post by dsamartin » Wed Nov 09, 2005 6:39 pm

Hi,
Yes I too agree with the original dates, it appears that if they are moved to the previous weekend my family can't get there either, and rightly or wrongly we too have already booked our hols!!:(

malky

Post by malky » Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:19 am

i dont see why, when the school holidays are should be an issue. yes tully is the most northern prem/div 1 race on the calender. but for most scottish paddlers there is usually a 5hour drive involved to most other races. the organisers of this race make sure the race runs to time and get it all finished with as early as possible so people can get home at sensible times as there are always complaints about the long drive home. we put up with this at just about every other race. like one of the last nottingham races when people were still waiting at nottingham at 6pm for the final race results to be posted, we actually just left as we couldnt wait any longer. i dont think many people would be happy with this and would seriously consider coming back for another tully race. fitting the races round peoples holidays is a bonus if it happens but the races are optional and i dont feel pressure should be put on organisers to change races when its them who have already sacrificed a lot of time to put on the race.

Midlands Guest

Post by Midlands Guest » Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:50 am

Very very grateful to those who do put all the work in organising races, and to the organiser of the calendar. It's just that there seems to have been quite a major change made for a small minority of people when many of us were (apparently) already happy with the original arrangements and had made plans accordingly. Presumably the Tully race organisers had suggested the original dates so I assume they were best dates for them?

Anne

Post by Anne » Thu Nov 10, 2005 5:24 pm

I find it very concerning thar someone has rung up Jim, refusing to give their name and proceeded to slag him off for the changes in the calendar. Jim does the managed calendar on a voluntary basis, as event management on the committee. It is not part of the Slalom Administraors job. This is totally unacceptable behavour and I hope it is not repeated.

concerned

Post by concerned » Thu Nov 10, 2005 6:00 pm

Behaviour that must not be condoned! It's good to air views on the bulletin board but this shouldn't get personal - these are volunteers at the end of the day. Don't see anyone else coming forward to take over the difficult task. :angry:

Dee

Post by Dee » Thu Nov 10, 2005 7:06 pm

Not only is such behaviour totally unacceptable; it's also selfish and cowardly. Jim is the better man by far!