Information Distribution

Discuss past and future events
Dee

Post by Dee » Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:31 pm

Is it time that we reviewed the whole method of information distribution whether it be start lists, results lists, or (dare I say it) cancellations. Very, very few people don't have access to the internet these days. Some ideas for the pot to get things going:

1. Make it compulsory to post event running order and results lists on internet (adapt organisors handbook with suggestions of how to do this for those without web sites (eg emailing order to Nick))

2. Go green and remove bit in rule 11.4.7 about compulsory sae's for start lists. Make it optional for those wanting other blurb.

3. Go greener and stop sending out results lists to competitors. They can get them off the internet.

4. Change entry cards to include space for email addresses and/or phone numbers (Would make it much easier to cancel a race - take it from one who knows!)
Kit Washer, Entry Clerk, Chauffeur, Reluctant Organiser, Online Entry Advocate .....
Anything I post under this user is my personal opinion; I am not posting as a member of the Slalom Committee!

FatBoy

Post by FatBoy » Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:35 pm

You'll get my vote.

While we're at it let's add online entries and automatic rankings. Starting to sound familiar...

jim croft

Post by jim croft » Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:43 pm

I agree but just remember some Organisers do not have Computers or access to the Internet in fact as Slalom Admin I should get ALL results and I have even had them hand written. The other point is that the web site is privately owned so there is no obligation to publish them. I agree we must move forward but a lot of thought must be put into it; all organisers are volunteers if we start making changes with out thought we could lose them.

Jim

FatBoy

Post by FatBoy » Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:42 pm

I agree we don't want to lose organisers, but on the other hand lessons learnt in the IT age can be shared between clubs to bring other clubs up to speed.

I'd say it's a mix of providing facilities for clubs to help them, and people being willing to share experiences.

Whether those facilities are provided here or BCU site or a new slalom comittee site is a judgement call. Obviously if an official site came out then this site would have much reduced meaning - whether Nick would see this as good or bad is not for me to say.