Llandysul

Discuss past and future events
Iain Bethune

Post by Iain Bethune » Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:38 pm

Having been to the Llandysul event last weekend for the first time I have to say I enjoyed myself - Llandysul Paddlers have a good site setup, cheap camping, pub on-site, and friendly kitchen staff - what more could you ask for?

I'd suggest a bit more water! Now I don't know what it is normally like at the beginning of October but the course up to gate 15 was dead flat!! (barring the ripply bit at gates 7-9). I can see that it would have been a good site for a 2/3/4 slalom (like the one earlier in the year) but if you can't guarantee the water levels i.e. there's not a dam release on the river then I don't really see how you can run a div 1 event! I mean, people could be getting promoted to Prem based on results there....

Anyway, much as I had a good weekend I did feel a bit sad at paying Div 1 fees to paddle a div 2/3 course, or maybe I'm just bitter because flat-water courses show up how unfit and slow I am ;)

Anyone else agree/disagree?

- Iain

davewaine

Post by davewaine » Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:36 pm

I almost agree 100% with you, it was a good weekend and the club (as ever) put on a good show! Unfortnately the water was very low on Friday when decisions on the course had to be made, good use was made of what was available.

It does seem rather wrong that someone can get promoted to Prem on 'flat water'. At least results from at least three events are needed. Ditto at Cardington div 2 to 1! But should one only be able to get promoted at the 'big water' events?

I take my hat off to all the judges who managed to survive the weekend's wet weather!

mwilk

Post by mwilk » Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:01 pm

I see the old 'easier to get promoted on mild water' argument has come up again. The ranking points you get depend on your position relative to other paddlers, not the water. If it's easier for you, it's going to be even easier for those better than you. You could even argue that on a mild water course you are less likely to benefit from a better paddler having a couple of bad runs.
I'm sure that someone will put up counter arguments [testing different abilities, could get lucky because your rivals don't turn up, etc.], but when it comes down to it, there's no point going on about it. As has been said, Llandysul is well run but you can't expect them to control the weather. If you make it 2/3/4 and they get a week of rain beforehand - what then ? I wouldn't have fancied doing the bottom end when I was Div 4.

FatBoy

Post by FatBoy » Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:06 pm

If you look at the facts: 4 K1M were promoted during the weekend to Prem - was it because of the easy water at Llandysul? Well no - these were the top 4 from HPP at the previous race. I'm sure a few people were slightly higher (and lower) than usual because of the low water conditions but by enlarge most people were roughly in their usual place.

Yes the course was relatively easy - particularly Saturday, but it wasn't a Div 4 course throughout. Water is normally higher at Llandysul this time of year. I don't think we should start excluding venues because they're natural rivers and therefore subject to the weather. Llandysul is a great site and I look forward to this time next year, regardless of water level (although I hope it's higher!).

Thanks to Llandysul for a fun weekend.

mk1zetec

Post by mk1zetec » Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:25 pm

Whilst i agree it would be nice if all events were on reasonable high levels of whitewater i think thats just no longer possible.
Sorry if i state the obvious as i am sure everyone over the age of 14 has noticed, it just doesn't rain as much as it used to :( .

Does that mean we should restrict the events held for Div 1 to sites where there is guaranteed whitewater?

I for one hope not, slalom for me is a fun way of keeping fit, nothing more, by disguising the exercise as a fun activity i find i don't get bored, which i would in a gym or on a running track etc. Part of the fun is going to events at various locations and enjoying the surroundings.

If all events were held on the same few sites i would get bored with them, plus it would always favour the few that live and subsequently train in these areas.

If we are all paddling the same water at the same time, whether its big or small, i don't see the problem.

Also if you are good enough to get promoted to prem but manage to do it on results achieved mainly on flat water then you will either need learn to paddle moving water quickly or find yourself back in Div 1. Whats the problem in that?

Dee

Post by Dee » Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:34 pm

We weren't at Llandysul, but surely it would be wrong to limit div 1s (or any division for that matter) to just a few locations. Surely breadth of experience with different types of water is important; limiting everyone to dam release or artificial sites is not going to improve the standard. At least div 1 paddlers usually have to attend more than one venue to get their promotion.
Kit Washer, Entry Clerk, Chauffeur, Reluctant Organiser, Online Entry Advocate .....
Anything I post under this user is my personal opinion; I am not posting as a member of the Slalom Committee!

chauffeur

Post by chauffeur » Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:19 pm

Those promoted this weekend have been having some brilliant runs at HPP, Washburn etc..... and deserved their promotion.
Well done to them they deserved the results.

Nick Penfold

Post by Nick Penfold » Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:52 pm

Hi Guys
Bear in mind that you don't get promoted on two results. You need five good ones, or three wins.
None of the four who polished off their promotions at Llandysul got up on three wins, so all of them had at least three good results on other courses. That must make them pretty good paddlers on quite a variety of water.
Nick