Shepperton Div 1/2 Slalom

Discuss past and future events
Dee

Post by Dee » Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:13 pm

Don't forget to send in your entries for the first ranking slalom of the season. This year water levels on the Thames have been much higher so things are looking promising for some good water.

If you are concerned about cancellation after last years lack of water, then feel free to write your email address or phone number on your entry card and I'll contact you direct in the highly unlikely event that we have a repeat this year.
Kit Washer, Entry Clerk, Chauffeur, Reluctant Organiser, Online Entry Advocate .....
Anything I post under this user is my personal opinion; I am not posting as a member of the Slalom Committee!

* Naomi *

Post by * Naomi * » Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:12 pm

i went down the other day, and all the sluice gates were open and the river was very high, and with all the snow, id imagine the river will be a nice level for the event once again. should make interesting judgeing...... :p

Geebs

Post by Geebs » Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:19 am

* Naomi * wrote:and with all the snow,
The joy's of living down South, you see we miss this up in the warm North :cool:

If you could spare some water for the rivers up here it would be appreciated, you can use your hosepipes now as well, just what you need when everything is sodden!
Paddle fast,,,Paddle safe Yorkshire Canoe Coaching

Dee

Post by Dee » Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:50 am

BTW, when sending your entries in please remember that entry fees have gone up!

Div 1 - £15.50

Div 2 Snr - £11

Div 2 Jnr - £8.50

And remember that juniors will be a whole year older and may well have changed their age group!
Kit Washer, Entry Clerk, Chauffeur, Reluctant Organiser, Online Entry Advocate .....
Anything I post under this user is my personal opinion; I am not posting as a member of the Slalom Committee!

Dee

Post by Dee » Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:52 pm

Just a reminder that you should be sending in your entries this week.

Post them at the same time as your Valentine's card(s)!

Dee

Dee

Post by Dee » Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:07 pm

Many thanks to all those that have sent in entries so far.

In view of the fact that we haven't got our year books yet and that I haven't had a chance to collate all the entries, I will waive late fees on all entries that I receive by the morning of Wednesday 21st. So POST YOUR ENTRIES NOW!

For those that are interested, all the gates were open on Thursday night. Lots of water this year.

Carlr

Post by Carlr » Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:50 pm

I hear there were 9 gates open at shepperton on sunday although water level below weir is a bit high causing a hole rather than a wave. We had even more rain last night and earlier today. Heres for a good race at weekend.

Dee

Post by Dee » Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:59 pm

The risk at the moment is that if we have much more rain then the Thames could flood! The forecast is dry for Thursday and Friday which should help, but we will keep watching.

At the moment both events are ON, but please check this board again before you travel and warn others to do the same.

VivienneM

Post by VivienneM » Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:24 pm

I spoke to the Environment Agency office today and the certainty, I'm told, is all gates open and below the weir, high levels but still allowing room for our gates to hang!!
So it is a fast flowing river with good eddies on each side.
So come and enjoy.
The Div 2 course is up and looking good.
It will change for the Div 1, of course.

Dee

Post by Dee » Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:21 pm

I've had a few comments from div 2s who are worried that they won't be able to cope with the water. So some words of reassurance.

Because the water is SO high we don't have the "boils" for which Shepperton is known, so in some ways the water will be less scary than it could be at lower levels.

Forbes was promoted at the end of last season to div 1 so is only just out of div 2. He went once round the div 2 course on Wednesday and reckoned that it was definitely paddlable as a div 2 course and that the main challenge would be to not drop too low on a couple of the gates.

For the div 1s we will change the course and provide some extra challenges!

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:42 pm

[attempted joke mode on]
Gosh you dont mean that the locals have been practicing the course before the event, getting extra home water advantage. . . . .Where do you think you are HPP?? :)

[failed joke mode off]
All spelling errors are intentional and are there to show new and improved ways of spelling old words. Grammatical errors are due to too many English classes/teachers.
Old. Fat. Slow. Bad tempered. And those are my good points

Dee

Post by Dee » Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:17 pm

(Childish Mode on...)
I don't think we have any paddlers who paddle real boats (ie K1) below division 1, so the course isn't available for them to practice - nah, nah, n'nah, nah.

(Childish Mode off...)

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:35 pm

How DARE YOU!! :(

REAL boats are C1s, not K1s which are like nappies!

Why do I hear you say? (no I dont but never mind I will tell you)

When you are young and know no better you have to wear a nappy, (or paddle k1)

then you grow up and no longer use nappies (or K1s) but use grown up things (like C1s and C2s)

Then you get old and senile and incontinent so need nappies again (or go back to K1 as you are not grown up enough for a proper boat).
All spelling errors are intentional and are there to show new and improved ways of spelling old words. Grammatical errors are due to too many English classes/teachers.
Old. Fat. Slow. Bad tempered. And those are my good points

Dee

Post by Dee » Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:27 pm

Nah!

When you are old enough to have developed a degree of common sense then you keep your feet firmly on dry land!

Dee

Post by Dee » Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:28 am

Many thanks to everyone that turned up to compete or help this weekend and braved the wind and rain on Sunday.

FYI - I'm planning to go through and check all the results this week and am aiming to issue them by next weekend.