Shepperton Div 2/1 - 1st/2nd March

Discuss past and future events
Nicky

Post by Nicky » Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:48 pm

I agree with Carl

Pretty good course on Sunday, except for 6-9 which was just awkward! I don't mind tricky, but that bit was terrible. The rest was good given the conditions. I agree that it was a bit long too, but the only other alternative was to just have the one cross and would have lead to a pretty short course, or lots of slogging about on the flat. I think that all in all Joel did a good job! 16-18 was fine, you could always spin if forwards wasn't on...

The course (as it is meant to be on a mixed division event) was set for the division 1 paddlers and I don't think that there should be too much of a difference between a p/1 course given that div1s get free practise and prem you don't get anything!

The good thing about shepperton was that there were great rewards for being gutsy, whilst there was always the option of paddling round. Safe, but costly.

Unfortunately, I can't point at any similar div 2 courses, except maybe tully. But I think that the 1/2 Nottingham race will be equally as challenging, which is good to see. I don't think that all of the div 2 races should be this tricky, but it's good to see a few tricky courses on bumpy water to stop Div 1 coming as too much of a shock!

Thanks to Dee and her team for another good race!

Nicky

Munchkin

Post by Munchkin » Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:41 pm

I am a Div 2 paddler and as you can see from above was talked by Dee into giving it a go when I tried to pull out.

It was a much bigger jump going from a 2/3 to a 1/2 event than I thought BUT it was a challenge and has made me determined to start training so that I can manage the bigger water.

ElaineF

Post by ElaineF » Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:16 pm

Hello,

I'd just like to again thank all those from other clubs who helped with the judging on Sunday, your help was very much appreciated - I hope I didn't twist your arms too hard!

Thanks again,
Elaine :D

katonas

Post by katonas » Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:08 am

Thankyou all for a fantastic event. It taught me far more than most events. At least my first swim in slalom was a safe one. :D

Dee

Post by Dee » Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:37 pm

Glad you had a good event in spite of the swim.

I've had a couple of emails asking for the results. Please give me a bit of time - I need to go through and finish checking them before I publish and I have needed to give priority to home and work this week!
Kit Washer, Entry Clerk, Chauffeur, Reluctant Organiser, Online Entry Advocate .....
Anything I post under this user is my personal opinion; I am not posting as a member of the Slalom Committee!

Spiderman

Post by Spiderman » Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:49 pm

You are entirely forgiven Dee after you and the other helping Mum's gave up being pampered by their loved ones and families on Mothers Day :D
Peter Parker - 12 gate courses are plenty long enough!

dizzylemon

Post by dizzylemon » Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:00 pm

hi all carl you said .(I would agree that gates 6 to 9 were tight for a kayak and C1 and impossible to go clear for a C2 ). how can you say that it is impossible for a C2 when there was only one C2 that raced on the sunday and they got all the gates 6 to 9 with no great problem at all .we thought it was a good but challanging course .you find that some people have a comfort zone and dont like to step out off it .if you want to go up too the next division then you need to be going on these sort of waters .it was the first time that we had been to this event and look forward to next years event cheers.......

Kazz

Post by Kazz » Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:19 am

When will the shepperton results be available ? ?:(

Carlr

Post by Carlr » Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:45 am

Dizzylemon
I would suggest that you read and digest what i said. [quote] I would agree that gates 6 to 9 were tight for a kayak and C1 and impossible to go clear for a C2,

Dee

Post by Dee » Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:11 am

Results were sent to Nick late last night.

It strikes me as strange that paddlers are chasing the results well before the deadline, which is 15 days after the event, and yet are happy to create extra work for the organiser by sending in incomplete and late entries. You can't have it both ways folks.
Kit Washer, Entry Clerk, Chauffeur, Reluctant Organiser, Online Entry Advocate .....
Anything I post under this user is my personal opinion; I am not posting as a member of the Slalom Committee!

Kazz

Post by Kazz » Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:34 am

My entry for shepperton was neither late or incomplete.
It strikes me as strange that stafford and stone can publish their results on the same day as their 3/4 event-whilst it is acknowledged this was a one day event it attracted almost 100 paddlers and a significant workload, whilst we are still waiting for sheppertons results 9 days later ???

Dee

Post by Dee » Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:49 am

a) Having spent over 3 days before the event dealing with incomplete entries + the time that one would normally expect organising event (followed by a very full weekend). I felt I was entitled to spend some time catching up on my work (which I'm paid to do) and my home life.

b) It took me 7 days not 9

c) We too had over a 100 competitors and I was keen to check all the cards against our results pluse with Vets, C1s and C2 points all having to be calculated manually this takes time.

d) We did publish provisional results on the same day.

e) If you think that this is unreasonable then feel free to run the event next year, because comments like this leave me seriously considering not doing so.

Anne

Post by Anne » Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:53 am

It is very unfair to criticise organisers in this way, do you want the race next year?! I know what a time consuming job getting the start list and results out is - I've been there! Each individual organisers situation is different, not everyone can get results out on the same day, be patient. Also you may have noticed (as already pointed out) the Web site had not been updated for some time - leads me to believe Nick has been away. Shame on you Kazz!

Anne

Post by Anne » Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:54 am

Oh Dee! You got in before me and I don't blame you - keep up the good work!

jim croft

Post by jim croft » Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:05 pm

:angry: I am appalled by the remarks made by Kazz. I agree with Anne and Dee, running and organising a Slalom is hard work, I have been organising Slaloms for over 25 years and after the event there is a lot of checking & rechecking and if you are also in full time employment you have to put other things first. An organiser has 15 days to get all their paper work sorted & sent out, if you can do any better Kazz then have a go and volunteer.

Keep up the good work Dee it is appreciated by many and you have my backing as we put the paddlers first and value the willing and press ganged band of volunteers that help us.

Jim