Total votes: 10

katonas

Post by katonas » Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:24 pm

For div1 in 2007 there were :
16 ranking racing days.
= 3 doubles
= 2 singles
= 8 mixed weekends = 6 with prem + 2 with div2, on the other day

The above represent possible combinations for 2008 assuming we manage to remove all single day events which seem to be in no-one's best interests (I accept may be unavoidable at times)

MIXED=div1 on either Sat or Sun, and either Prem or div2 on the other day
DAYS=number of days racing available if you attended all div1 events

Anyone choosing more than the current 3 doubles, please make a post suggesting which of the 2007 events below they would like to see removed from the calendar list:

Shepp/Chap/Try/Tul/HPP/Bala/HPP/Wash,Wash/Tul,Tul/HPP/Llan,Llan/Tees/Town

Geebs

Post by Geebs » Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:57 am

I would suggest dropping;
Town Falls due to the access and lack of water problem
Shepperton for unpredictable water levels
Llandysul as I do not believe it is really div1 water 90% of the time.
Paddle fast,,,Paddle safe Yorkshire Canoe Coaching

Dee

Post by Dee » Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:18 am

If we are dropping events due to unreliable water levels then we will have to drop everything for which we can't control the water. Taken this to extreme and
- Tees, of course, would have to go because of tidal issues
- Grandtully water levels can drop dramatically in the course of the day and even a class, so maybe that should go
- There is always the risk that Washburn release can be cancelled so maybe we should remove that one
- HPP can have problems with high levels of bacteria/bugs at certain water levels
OK, I know I'm going OTT and have still failed to come up with something for Bala Mill and Tryweryn as I don't really know them but you get the idea.

I believe that we also need to try and spread the div 1s (and all other divisions) across the country wherever possible.
Shepperton is the only div 1 in our area and (after HPP) Town Falls is probably the next nearest in terms of travel time, so I'd hate to see them go. Also when the water levels are right they are brilliant div 1 sites, so please don't be too hasty to dismiss them.
Kit Washer, Entry Clerk, Chauffeur, Reluctant Organiser, Online Entry Advocate .....
Anything I post under this user is my personal opinion; I am not posting as a member of the Slalom Committee!

Geebs

Post by Geebs » Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:05 am

Dee wrote:If we are dropping events due to unreliable water levels then we will have to drop everything for which we can't control the water. Taken this to extreme and
- Tees, of course, would have to go because of tidal issues
- Grandtully water levels can drop dramatically in the course of the day and even a class, so maybe that should go
- There is always the risk that Washburn release can be cancelled so maybe we should remove that one
- HPP can have problems with high levels of bacteria/bugs at certain water levels
OK, I know I'm going OTT and have still failed to come up with something for Bala Mill and Tryweryn as I don't really know them but you get the idea.

I believe that we also need to try and spread the div 1s (and all other divisions) across the country wherever possible.
Shepperton is the only div 1 in our area and (after HPP) Town Falls is probably the next nearest in terms of travel time, so I'd hate to see them go. Also when the water levels are right they are brilliant div 1 sites, so please don't be too hasty to dismiss them.

The date for Tees is set because they can confirm the water level on that date.

Grandtully well yes I agree with as it has been very low over the past few events.

I think Washburn has only been cancelled once in all the years it has been used and I don't think it was the water level or release that was the cause of cancellation?

HPP yes if there is very heavy rain and flooding.

Tryweryn/Bala can be very unpredictable and releases can be cancelled at the last minute, we have had two courses cancelled in the last year because of last minute cancellations of releases.

You have a better chance of good quality water on the manmade controlled/courses such as Tees, Washburn, Tryweryn/Bala, Nene & HPP than a natural river, we are now halfway through November and there is no water in the rivers, what chance do you thing that there will be any next year during the height of the season? I think we should concentrate more on the artificial/dam release rivers to guarantee good quality water levels. Maybe even investigate the possibility of running an event on the River Gary in Scotland which is a dam release river as well?

I agree that the div1's should be spread around the country, but likewise I would not do a 400 mile round trip for a single day at Shepperton, a double then yes it is worth thinking about
Paddle fast,,,Paddle safe Yorkshire Canoe Coaching

Dee

Post by Dee » Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:59 pm

But apart from Shepperton and HPP everything is a more than 400 mile round trip for us. And please don't put another event in Scotland 10+ hours of driving each way is a bit much.

With regards to making Shepperton a double - the main reason I don't put in for a double div 1/2 is that we get so many "on-the-day" entries, that it is impossible to get started before mid-day which means there isn't time to get through div 1 and div 2 before it gets dark (still early in the year remember).

This year we have decided to make it a double div 2 (subject to ratification) with div 1 on Sunday only. To make this work I will take late entries up to 10am on the Saturday for both divisions but will take NO late entries on Sunday.

If this works then I might consider suggesting a double div 1, but only if I can bring forward the entry deadline to Friday.

Of course there is nothing to stop you judging on Sat and competing in div 1 on Sunday and given that we normally finish by 4 you should get some water time Saturday evening if you want it. (We have flood lights which are fine for practice). Watch the chatter board in the weeks leading up to the event as I will certainly give an idea of water levels and if they are up you may find it's worth the trip just to play on the water!
Kit Washer, Entry Clerk, Chauffeur, Reluctant Organiser, Online Entry Advocate .....
Anything I post under this user is my personal opinion; I am not posting as a member of the Slalom Committee!

Nicky

Post by Nicky » Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:23 pm

I don't see a major problem with any of the races that Geebs is suggesting we cancel. At the right water levels, they're fantastic div 1 races, at the wrong level they're div one races.

Its that quality of the paddlers that makes the race. We have to deal with whatever is thrown at us. If anything I'd rather see more places to race rather than fewer.

If you don't like any of these races, don't go! That's the joy of having loads, you can go to the ones you want to and miss the others. Whether you don't want to travel that far, the water doesn't suit your abilities or you don't like the people running it! If a race really is rubbish, no one will go and it won't take long before it disappears from the calendar...

katonas

Post by katonas » Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:14 pm

Well said Nicky. The point of this poll is to make people realize what you lose by having more doubles.

katonas

Post by katonas » Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:48 pm

Thought this thread could do with resuscitating, to join the petrol double discussion.

In the doubles v singles div1 discussion, it is easy to forget that a mixed division weekend eg. Prem1 Sat/ div1 Sun has advantages for a div1 paddler -

1. No need to cancel another div1 event

2. More chance of sharing a lift with a Prem paddler

3. A chance to paddle on both days but only pay for one + test self on a Prem course / watch the best paddlers in the country. You can always compare your result against other div1 judges, or any prem paddlers who have a bad day...
Does a race have to be ranking to be enjoyable or educational ?

4. Miss only one ranking day if otherwise engaged for the weekend , or ill.

5. Prevent excessively long gaps between events.

c1champ

Post by c1champ » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:55 am

i agree with some of the races geebs suggests. i think get rid of Llandysul, it is a nice place to race but it is a very easy div 1 because of water, but then there needs to be some easier water div 1's so that newly promoted people dont get chucked straight in at the deep end. Ease them in slowly. Also town falls because like last year prem/1 showed it isn't reliable. (If i am right in thinking there was some international on or something like that). Instead of making shepperton a definite to get rid we could make it like change each year so like the 09 season we could have a Llandysul div 1 then the 2010 season we could have a shepperton div 1. Just and idea but we could work on it. Or a combination of two other event that people want out. Then we don't get rid of event all together