Ranking races in winter

Discuss past and future events
canoebabe88

Post by canoebabe88 » Mon May 31, 2010 2:05 pm

Why are there not many natural river races?
Why are the few we do have in the calender in the middle of summer?

Would it not make more sense to hold these races in the winter when their is water in the rivers?

We could move some of the races at HPP out as the cost is going up next year and hold races on the River Tees, River Kent, River Roy and River Wharfe (Appletreewick).

Can I have your thoughts on this?

PaulBolton

Post by PaulBolton » Mon May 31, 2010 5:36 pm

I guess the challenges are two-fold. Firstly, there isn't much daylight, so getting practise and all the classes through is problematical - especially as most events need to be be multi-divisional to be worthwhile. Secondly, do people really want to travel, camp, and paddle in a harsh, cold, windy, bitter winter. If several decide not to, then an event becomes even less tenable.

I enjoy the winter break from competing, it's a chance to catch up on other things and renew enthusiasm.

Cheers,

PB

djberriman

Post by djberriman » Mon May 31, 2010 10:55 pm

Agree with PB.

Many slalom paddlers also compete in Polo which is (mainly) winter based. Although that said the polo season keeps dragging well into May these days!

How many volunteers will you find in winter to set up/clear down courses and freeze their what nots off to run the event?

Traveling conditions may often be unsuitable and then there are additional safety issues caused by ice, very cold water, lack of facilities to warm up etc.

I'm all for natural river slaloms but can't see winter slalom being popular.

Geebs

Post by Geebs » Mon May 31, 2010 11:00 pm

It would make a lot more sense running events on natural rivers when there is a better chance of water, than in the height of summer when levels are more likely to be low.

So far I think all but one of the Div1 races have been cold and wet weekends and more like winter than spring/summer?

With the right timing there should be enough daylight to run an event and the cost would be nowhere near the hire charge for an artificial course.

I don't think that the idea is to run events in the depth of winter, but early and late in the year, people already do events like Tryweryn in early March and there is Serpents Tail and HPP at the end of October, all it needs is to run the river events around these times of year and save the artificial courses for the summer where water is guaranteed 99%

Cheers

Graeme
Paddle fast,,,Paddle safe Yorkshire Canoe Coaching

Munchkin

Post by Munchkin » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:02 am

Ummm, let me think, how difficult is it to get volunteers to judge at the early and late races? Serpents Tail is well know as being a b**ch to judge at as you will end up with long slots due to a lack of volunteers. Why? Because it is bl**dy cold sitting on the exposed river bank for hours on end, especially in October!

There may also be "With the right timing there should be enough daylight to run an event " but what about those who have to put up and take down the course/ timing equipment? At HPP it takes a couple of hours to set up the timing/ judging points and that it with most of the cables already set into the system. Do you really want volunteers up at the crack of dawn, in the dark and cold laying cables out on a natural river bank?

Remember that the majority of the sction judge/ timing team are non-paddling volunteers (as well as those club organisers that do not paddle). They volunteer for the love of the sport and for the benefit of the paddlers. They put in hours both in front of the scenes and behind the scenes to ensure that us paddlers are able to enjoy slalom. I think it is unfair of us to expect this all year round, everyone needs a break sometime.

Perhaps those that are advocating winter slaloms should run a non-ranking on like those at Proteus and Stafford and Stone do?

P.S. As well as the above I agree with Paul and Duncan, the break is nice and some of us paddle polo over the winter, camping would be horrible and the roads may not be safe.... etc etc

JamesH

Post by JamesH » Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:40 pm

I'm with those against winter slaloms on this one. Apart from the problems with the amount of daylight available, on a really cold day you could end up with serious hypothermia issues. While the weather has not been exactly balmy at a number of slaloms so far this year, it is still a lot better than you could get in the depths of a bad winter.

Also there are many of us who prefer to ease our aching limbs into our plastic boats and go river running in the winter and if it's a straight choice between river running and slalom, I will always choose the former.