New Ranking Database

Discuss past and future events
djberriman

New Ranking Database

Post by djberriman » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:01 pm

You may or hopefully may not have noticed we are now running a new ranking database on Nick's site.

Suffice to say the rankings are now much more automated, hopefully giving Nick more spare time. :)

How does this affect YOU?

At each event please ensure your bib no, name and age are correct on the results (and of course your position and points etc).

If your bib number is incorrect it is likely the ranking system will not recognise you and will not list the result.
We'd appreciate it if you could use your name from Nick's start of year bib list wherever possible although we can cope with obvious typos etc.
If you are a JXX, U23 or S make sure your age is correct, we use this to update your age and ensure you are in the correct league (don't worry masters/vets we just leave you where you are on Nick's bib list unless asked otherwise).

Please don't use incorrect bib numbers (eg those belonging to others).

Bear with us while the new system beds in there are bound to be teething issues (pretty please). It's not the end of the world if something is incorrect - honest it's not!

Let us know if you want something changing, want to be included in a league or spot an issue.

The new system does NOT automatically cope with paddlers who gain a promotion result from paddling up, perhaps next year it will.

It does not know when new bibs are issued by bib officers (perhaps one day it will) although the system will try and spot this. Spelling your name the same on every entry and ensuring its correct on the results will greatly assist us.

As always if you don't get a bib then you won't be on the ranking list.

For the paranoid, no personal data is being stored save for what is routinely displayed and available to the world in general on the results sheets. We do not have your address, postcode, email address or DOB, just what is on the results sheets which can be downloaded from Nick's site or obtained at the event/from the organiser.

Don't nag Nick (or me for the matter) as per usual. Remember we are volunteers!

djberriman

Re: New Ranking Database

Post by djberriman » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:14 pm

Organisers.......

Please provide results as per Nicks request on his web site, using simply slalom is the simple solution.

Please don't use existing bib nos for paddlers without bibs use ones which are clearly not existing bibs (pretty sure this happens most of the time).

Please try and ensure paddlers details are correct (simply slalom usually knows most paddlers) but we can cope with typos in names (for existing bibs).

For new promotees and those without a bib (for whatever reason) please ensure their name is correctly spelt and their age is correct. If they ask you to correct it please do, it's now a bit more important than it was.

It will help a lot!

Many thanks
Duncan

Jasper

Post by Jasper » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:26 am

Hi Duncan.
Liking the new more automated ranking system.

It does not appear to have captured the J18, J16 and J14 C1M entrants from the Tryweryn or Shepperton races. Perhaps you have already noticed this and are working on it but just in case I thought I should mention it.

See you in Tully.
Cheers

djberriman

Post by djberriman » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:39 am

Well spotted, slight coding bug, now eradicated!

Sven

Post by Sven » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:01 pm

Are you now not operating the rolling rankings that were put in place last year?

Also it would be useful to have the race name above the results column as in previous years but appreciate it might be a programming nightmare

Thanks

djberriman

Post by djberriman » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:11 pm

The race name can not be shown in the rankings (they just show your 4 or 5 ranking results) but if you click on your name you will find full details of your results that make up your ranking.

The ranking database does not currently support rolling rankings, for a start it would mean loading all last years results which would take many many hours as they are only available as pdf's. Not sure whether it will in the future, that is for debate.

I'm not fully aware of the rolling rankings so will leave for Nick and others to comment.

djberriman

Post by djberriman » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:31 pm

In answer to a couple of questions:-

Q. paddler has been promoted and paddled with a temporary bib, now has real bib, what happens to the points gained on the temporary bib.

A. As long as the paddler's name was correct on the temprary bib, the points will automatically be linked to the valid bib number and included in the ranking when we get the details from the bib officier or when the paddler paddles with their new bib and we process the race result. If for any reason this does not happen just let us know.

Q. Could we have an extra column on the paddlers results page showing how far behing the winner they were.

A. Yes, I'll add this once I get back from Tully - good idea.

Sven

Post by Sven » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:16 pm

May be being a bit previous here (if so apologies) but the automatic system doesnt seem to be adding in the Tully Div1 results?? the stats are there on the individual paddlers record but seemingly not adding them into the total

Cheers

djberriman

Post by djberriman » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:28 pm

Probably I was loading them as you looked.... should be ok now, please confirm.

For clarity I've amended the code on the ranking page so it says (Ranking update in progress) next to the division when this is happening.

bankside

Post by bankside » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:55 pm

It's all looking good from here.
Great work, thank you.

Sven

Post by Sven » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:12 pm

Brilliant

Apologies - clearly I was being a bit previous :-) - many thanks for all the work, much appreciated

djberriman

Post by djberriman » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:57 pm

Behind seconds now added to paddlers individual results page.

bankside

Post by bankside » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:18 pm

Behind class leader or fastest run?

djberriman

Post by djberriman » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:20 pm

behind winner of their race

djberriman

Post by djberriman » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:39 pm

And I've spotted an issue, timings have been truncated in some cases to 1 decimal place instead of 2.

I'll reload the results for the following when I have a moment to fix it.

9 Mar Tryweryn Prem + J Seln
10 Mar Tryweryn Prem

16 Mar Shepperton Div 1/2
17 Mar Shepperton Div 1/2

30 Mar Grandtully Prem & Jnr Seln
31 Mar Grandtully Prem

It only affects the behind seconds calculation (by a factor of a hundredth of a second). :oops: